"Exotic Pig Pony"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my perspective they were just trying to be funny about it, not trying to mislead people. It sounds like they are trying to do the right thing. He's a little chunky, yes, but it's so much easier taking weight off than trying to put weight on a horse that's starving to death because its owners don't care enough to give him/her food.

Cute little guy
default_smile.png

If you read the ad through, blood was drawn and his thyroid is normal. I know who the owner is. I'm not that surprised that she called him a Exotic Pig Pony, something she obviously made up because that is just her personality coming through, as someone said she was probably trying to be funny about it. She is versed on miniatures and their care so I am just assuming she titled it that way to get attention to the ad. There is a exotic auction in that neck of the woods every year and lot of minis and dwarfs are sold there who then meet a not so good fate. I was there once and it upset me so much I would never go back there again. I'm sure she bought this one to get him the heck out of there and save him from living a life in a carnival. She is a caring person.

I think he is cute too, but very overweight. Perhaps with weight loss he would look much different, he does appear to be more of the older style mini, I did only find one photo of him though.

Love his coloring.

I cannot seem to find the ad. I never heard of a pig-pony before but I did hear of a man-bear-pig one time (South Park?).

As probably most of us know, some minis just can get fat on air. Most of them are text book easy keepers and that can cause some of them to really look like small hippos if their owners are not careful...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why everyone is being so critical. Yes the horse is obese but if you read her ad on EquineNow she's pretty darned straight forward about who she'll sell him to. I definitely think she has his best interest in mind when it comes to finding him the perfect new home.

I don't understand why everyone is being so critical. Yes the horse is obese but if you read her ad on EquineNow she's pretty darned straight forward about who she'll sell him to. I definitely think she has his best interest in mind when it comes to finding him the perfect new home.

Donna, you know I think the world of you so I'd certainly never want to offend you in any way, but here's my take or "problem" with the ad.

I agree that if you read the words of the ad it sure "seems" like this person did a great thing by getting this guy out of a bad situation, getting him proper medical care, worming and for God's sake thankfully gelded him. BUT...using all the hype terms like "exotic" and "hybrid" and then asking $1200 for him just gives me pause. As for him, he's as cute as could possibly be but I do worry about his weight. The horse has done nothing wrong and sure deserves the best just like any living creature brought into this world. Maybe I'm just too cynical. Maybe I've personally met too many losers in the miniature horse world. I don't know. But something in my gut tells me not all is as it seems. I hope I'm wrong! I really, really do. I have NO idea who the people are, didn't even care to look into it and find out. They may be WONDERFUL folks. I just think the ad could have been approached differently.

I hope the best for this little guy as he's just adorable and really needs knowledgable owners. If I had the ability to care for him at this time, I'd grab him up in a heartbeat! But sadly I do not.

If there is someone out there who REALLY believes there's such a thing as an 'exotic hybrid pig pony', then there is something horribly wrong with our school system.

There are many people in my area who have just a couple of minis and when they decide to sell, they don't understand how the current horse market is and charge much more than they should. Maybe that's what's going on here.

ETA:

Went back to read the ad again and the seller says he cannot go to a driving home because "He has some dwarfy characteristics that will indeed interfere with any career along that line and if you force the issue will become UNsound in the process" And as for advertising him as a hybrid pig pony she says this "...making this snubby snorting grunting sound like some sort of hybrid pig pony"

Hope that helps clear some things up. He is not being advertised as a read hybrid pig pony and the seller has openly said he has some dwarfy characteristics. Actually, the ad that I read mostly said things to discourage people from buying haha. Seems like the person is really intent on finding a good home-maybe a little overboard actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I just saw this horse. Someone sent me a link so I could. What a CUTIE!!! That guy is just adorable, but he seriously needs some diet restrictions. So fat and cresty. I hope someone gets him and puts him on a low starch / low carb feed with no grass turnout. Just such a sweet face on the guy and I love the color, too. Looks like he would make a loving and precious pet for someone but really does need some diet intervention.

Latest posts

Back