EVH1 Vaccination

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know if this is mentioned in the larger topic; it got so many pages it was hard to sift through.

I chose not to vaccinate, as I live rurally and have little contact with outside horses. A friend got a new miniature and she is keeping him in an area with lots of horses, so she decided to do the vaccination, per vet recommendation. Two days later he is lethargic, not eating, and generally scaring her. She found out the dosage he was given was for a big horse--all the dosages were the same, none were made for miniature weight.

Could some folks chime in here about their experiences with the vaccine? The dosage matter with horse size?

Vaccines are not given by weight like a medication. All are given the same amount of vaccine no matter size, age, breed, etc

Rubyviewminiatures is correct! Some horses will experience a slight reaction especially if they were given more then one vaccination at a time, don't worry it will pass, but in the future if her horse has had a reaction in the past she can ask her vet to space the vaccinations out.

We do single vaccations wait 4 days to 1 week if no bad reaction, the another kind.This way if there is a reactipn you will know which vaccine is the culprit.Sometimes you can just switch the brand you are using and avoid future problems.One of my geldings seems to be more reactionary than anyone else.Bad reaactions usually are over in 3-4 days, but I had 1 last almost 2 weeks with soreness.He may have jumped when needle was inserted.

Marsha, how is he doing today? I am guessing you are talking about Pharoah.
They called me last night to say he was perkier and beginning to eat. Barbara had been going out twice a day to cool him off with the hose and freshen his drinking water. It did give them a scare.

Too bad she missed the parade, but there was no way she would have asked him to pull the cart yesterday.

ps You should see his nice new barn and fresh paddock. He is looking really good. I'll try to take a picture of him for you.

This is a typical response for a vaccine. Most horses (and people) don't have an issue, but some do have this type of reaction. Its basically the one day flu.

They called me last night to say he was perkier and beginning to eat. Barbara had been going out twice a day to cool him off with the hose and freshen his drinking water. It did give them a scare.

Too bad she missed the parade, but there was no way she would have asked him to pull the cart yesterday.

ps You should see his nice new barn and fresh paddock. He is looking really good. I'll try to take a picture of him for you.

I would love to see pictures of him! You can email them to me, put please reduce the size as I have dial up. I will save them for Rita, when she gets back on line they will cheer her up. We are both very fond of Pharoah.

Latest posts

Back