Everyone PLEASE MEET SPIKE!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauralee

Reaction score
100506DayOneSpike.jpg

This morning as my husband was taking my daughter to school, a white car driving by our property threw this puppy out. He appears to be a pit bulldog.

He was filthy, covered in fleas and ticks, with his pot belly (wormy) and backbone/ribs/hipbones visible. He INHALED some dog food and water before I gave him his fleabath.

Spike has been to the vet today, got vaccinated, fecal (hooks), and weighed in at 11 pounds. We think he is around 8-10 weeks old. Spike has one small patch of brown beside his left eye, and several scattered red freckles on his body (like Sabino!). Spike's eyes are a beautiful sea-green. His hearing is excellent.

Although I ordinarily would not voluntarily own a pit Bulldog, I am impressed with this puppy's personality so far. He is such a lovebug, and he is afraid of everything! He sticks right beside me and he doesn't appear to have a mean bone in him.

Of course, if he shows any aggressive tendencies to any of our horses or other dogs, he will have to go. But I am hoping that he won't.

What do you think???

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks like a nice boy, and I have to agree he looks like a pit bull.

He's adorable! Bless your heart for taking that poor thing in. I agree with PitBull. As with any dog, careful attention goes a long way to avoiding livestock problems. We owned Dobies for years, and they were great family pets. Protective, you bet, but good socialization should keep your puppy well-tempered.

He probably is a Pitbull or AmStaff- he probably peed on their carpet- that does not occur to some people!!!

They think puppies house train themselves, or maybe he was outside and barked a bit because no-one came to give him attention??

Pits are the same as any other breed- just be sure to neuter him as early as the Vet will agree to do it, that helps get over the adult dominance issue that some have with other dogs- basically, they were bred to fight other dogs- after Bull Baiting was banned- just as Dobes were originally bred to attack people.

If someone could come and explain this to the three I have currently lounging on my furniture I would be grateful!!

Mind, I do not fancy anyones chances of actually breaking in.....

Bless you for taking this little beasties- train him right and he will love you and everything that is yours, forever.

I think he can be a wonderful SAFE pet.

We have had pits and Am- Staff all our lives and only one had some issues NEVER with other dogs or people but with cats and small animals something many breeds have.

In fact ours lived with large and small dogs, were there when we did rescue and accepted any dog into our "pack" from poodles to rotties.

Lived with cats, our kids , and bunnies who ran loose in the yard with no problems ever.

Our older dog we just put down was a certified therapy dog in CA. He saved the l ife of our newborn pup whose mom rejected her. He cleaned her after every feeding and snuggled with her and really socialized her. HE could be seen with new kittens attempting to nurse on him or a chi and a cat hanging from each ear "attacking" him as he walked down the hall.

I think if you judge this dog on his own merritt you will be just fine
default_yes.gif
:

I think he is a doll baby!! Makes me sad to think people just throw away puppies like this :no: . What an adorable face!!

And I agree wholeheartedly with what Tami posted up above. Good luck with the little dude...he sure is a sweetie pie!
default_wub.png
:

HOW SWEET AND HOW LUCKY HE WAS TO GET DUMPED AT YOUR HOUSE :bgrin ! GOOD LUCK, I AM SURE HE WILL MAKE YOU A WONDERFUL PET. NIKKI

There is no greater satisfaction than rescuing an animal -and some people, for that matter :lol: -. We found a pup this summer that had been dumped or got lost or something. It was the same scenario: full of ticks, fleas, and worms. For the first day or two he was, understandably, terrified and then we could almost feel the, "Oh...you guys are here to help me out. You are the NICE people!". He became -has become- the sweetest little guy. Whether you keep him or find a loving home for him, you've been blessed with a great opportunity to help this poor soul. Looks like he ended up in the right hands. Here's the little guy I helped this summer, Shiloh -with his new mommy- tick and worm free!:

DSCF0006.jpg

BTW your little rescue is cute as a button!

Pit all the way. He may also start getting spots too. Have a female a year old, smart, loveable. She looks like the RCA dog. Love them! Bless you for rescuing him YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :aktion033:

He is an American Bulldog. His legs are longer and his head is shaped a little differently. I have American Bulldogs and I have rescued a few. Now, they do have some pit bull in the background as the breed was being developed. They can still be very dog agressive but are very nice with their owners and kids, they are however very protective and will place themselves between you and anyone else that they consider a threat and they are very loyal and sweet dogs. Good luck with him he should make an excellent pet.

He's gorgeous!
default_wub.png
:

It amazes me how people can be so heartless and cruel to a poor, defenceless animal. I cant begin to express my anger on these people.

I wish there were more people around who, like you, adopted them and help end the poor thing's suffering.
default_yes.gif
:

Sounds like to me he was in a bad situation and those heartless people did this baby a favor! They could not have picked a better place (or person) to dump him at. What a lucky boy!

He is precious and very lucky! I just can't understand how someone could throw him out
default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png
But, ironically, it was obviously very fortunate for him that they did since now he is in wonderful hands for the first time in his life!

I do not want to start an argument but I do not think he is a Bulldog, I still think Pit or AmStaff- very cute, very lucky.!!

100506DayOneSpike.jpg

This morning as my husband was taking my daughter to school, a white car driving by our property threw this puppy out. He appears to be a pit bulldog.

He was filthy, covered in fleas and ticks, with his pot belly (wormy) and backbone/ribs/hipbones visible. He INHALED some dog food and water before I gave him his fleabath.

Spike has been to the vet today, got vaccinated, fecal (hooks), and weighed in at 11 pounds. We think he is around 8-10 weeks old. Spike has one small patch of brown beside his left eye, and several scattered red freckles on his body (like Sabino!). Spike's eyes are a beautiful sea-green. His hearing is excellent.

Although I ordinarily would not voluntarily own a pit Bulldog, I am impressed with this puppy's personality so far. He is such a lovebug, and he is afraid of everything! He sticks right beside me and he doesn't appear to have a mean bone in him.

Of course, if he shows any aggressive tendencies to any of our horses or other dogs, he will have to go. But I am hoping that he won't.}

Thank you for being there and rescueing Spike...Be the pack leader and socialize, socialize, socialize him Take him to parks, to town, everywhere you go, take him....

I breed Amstaffs so I know what they are and can be.....My male Amstaff is my
default_wub.png
:. I have never had a dog that has the loyalty and capasity for love like him....He is my friend , my buddy, the love of my life....I would truely say I'd give my life for him. As I know he would do for me.....

He is an adoreable pup...good luck and please keep us posted on his progress

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, congratulations on your new dog! Whoever dumped him is one evil SOB in my opinion, but you have inherited a great dog! I ended up with two pit mixes, like you this is a breed that I NEVER would have chosen for myself...I had decided that I would never again own a dog that weighed more than 15 lbs, but stuff happens and I ended up with these guys. They are the BEST dogs I have ever owned. I have a small dog, two cats, chickens, and horses big and small, and everyone here lives in harmony. My white dog, Boo, looks so much like your little guy and I will tell you that you could not pry this dog from me for any reason. He is the dog of a lifetime. I hope you enjoy your life with SPIKE! :D
default_wub.png
: :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:

BooBooDog.jpg

Willow.jpg

I am a pit lover but in my city they are banned. I work for the humane secoity and see them lots. They are the same of every dog they just need to be trained.

Latest posts

Back