ethics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levi

Reaction score
In an Association or a Registry or any Office, the people who are working their and also directors and people who represent the office even if they do or do not get a fee, Do these people have a confidentiality and a code of ethics to go by or is it a free for all and they can go tell everyone everything before a situation is layed to rest. Just in a average persons opinion what do you think?

Now this is a question no flames and arguments keep this ethical also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know with the "real" registries (ie AMHR, ASPC, AMHA... but not WCMHR), they are supposed to impartially follow the rules which are spelled out in their rule books. I do not know what the privacy policy is. It seems it should be a situation where confidentiality is maintained, but I do not know if that is set out as an official policy. This may be an interesting thread to follow!

I'm not really certain what you're talking about. A few years back there was the AMHA fiasco with the former admin that had the confidentiality agreement/mismanagement problem That was a mess.

AMHR has had problems too over the years with people abusing their positions. Currently I don't know of any mismanagement with either one though.

But these shenanigans happen at the local level. A show manager here in NorCal years ago, a laundry list of bad, bad and more bad. Fortunately that seems to have been corrected.

Is this something specific you're concerned about?

As far as your personal information, I don't know what is and isn't classed as 'private'. I know if you call the registry on a horse they'll tell you the owners name and generally the contact information.

I am talking about situations in an office that need to be addressed by executive or a president or vice president or any staff of a office and a conference conducted to correct problems in rules and regulations of the office or association addressing with the parties involved before it made public knowledge. In fact if the situation was not corrected or attempted to be resolved and public knowledge was made what repercussions to the association or office staff should there be. Does this violate the privacy act.

I think this is an issue that human resources, lawyers, and management need to look into
default_sad.png

I do not think they have any really, it's not like a doctor or medical information. When it comes to animals I do think it's open but probably frowned upon. I am sure when it comes to changes with the association of your choice, the employees must keep confidentiality when dealing with the public. In most businesses there is a public to employee confidentiality factor, for example, if you work in retail, on Black Friday the associates know of what will be on sale before it actually goes on sale and they are not allowed to tell customers about the price changes or they can be sued and face legal actions.

I think that the registries generally have a code of ethics (or whatever you want to call it). With ASPC/AMHR for instance, there are certain things that the BOD will not discuss with the general membership--at least not prior to any discussion the BOD has about the matter and before making any decision. If a member were to ask them, they would not answer--and quite frankly as a member there are things I would not ask the BOD because I know that those things are things they cannot discuss with me.

The thing is, very often word gets out anyway--nothing official, but rumors and partial truths and some facts. Sometimes the general membership is talking about a situation before the BOD even gets wind of it--there is often much discussion amongst the members before the BOD is officially notified of the situation. Sometimes people assume that the BOD knew about a situation long before they actually did learn of it--some may think that word got out from someone on the BOD, but in reality the talk started somewhere other than with the BOD.

I'm quite sure there are certain matters that office staff will not discuss, which is as it should be.

Should they be kept confidential, yes, do that no. There seems to always be someone that likes to be the one who knows it all and loves to spread the wealth of knowledge.

As a member of said organization, you should be able to read the bylaws of the agency. You may find the answer to your questions there.

I know when I was on the AMHA BOD there were many things that were discussed in closed meetings that were made public within minutes after those meetings. We never did find out who was doing it. Very frustrating to say the least. As for personnel actions, only the Executive Committee is privy to what goes on in the office and the goings on there. The BOD might learn the end result that someone was let go but not why.

As far as I am concerned the things that were discussed with me in confidence remain so and will always remain so.

Hi,

Was someone you knew involved in a matter to which you felt should have been confidential? From your post that is the way I took what you were searching for. The privacy act only applies to medical and federal agencies. (Go to the privacy act and read about it) and I believe both the AMHA and the ASPC/AMHR are both Not-For-Profit which is different than For Profit (like some of the bigger horse associations). I know some companies will sort of follow the privacy act in regards to giving out phone numbers and any information on their customers but in general most organizations do follow some form of the rule which may not be in written form. If personal information was leaked then I would have a problem, if a protest was filed on something in particular, that’s not confidential. If someone forged papers on an animal that’s a problem and not confidential as I wouldn’t want to do business with someone like that and would want to know so to stay away from them. If a paid professional within an organization did something wrong and was caught, that’s not confidential; again why would I want to do business with someone like that? You see in the news everyday about some official getting caught over something ethical, it happens all the time.

In the By-laws as someone mentioned (both AMHA and the ASPC/AMHR) there aren’t any notations in them regarding what is considered confidential. I read of a recent situation (on another discussion board) regarding some award that was given to an animal that didn’t qualify and some said the honor should be pulled. If said animal didn’t qualify, then why would that be a problem unless you (not implying you) were the one involved and felt it should have been kept private. To me that’s not a private matter as someone did something that was against the rules got caught and exposed.

However, I do feel if an infraction happened, then a hearing committee should have time to review all sides and make an official ruling in regards to the type of disciplinary action that needs to be taken. No matter how much talk is happening at the forefront it still falls back on the elected officials (any board of directors) to handle the matter no matter what the general membership talking on these types of forums may think. They ( discussions like this one) may not have all of the facts of the situation, but the actual facts should be handled according to the official rulebooks that are in place.

I was a little confused by your post, but if you feel that confidentiality has been breeched that directly involves you, I would suggest contacting your director or the president of the club/association.

In the electronic /instant access today world, it's very difficult to keep a handle on everything and everybody. Many time's I've heard or read (don't tell anybody . . BUT psss psss psst psst). Some folks can't keep their mouths shut to save their soul and don't have any problem passing on what should be confidential.

But again, I would say that if you have a problem, take it to the association, instead of a live forum board.

If you have proof that there has been a breech of confidential information then I would advise the offending Association for them to take action.

If there is a code of conduct they will be able to act and if there is none then they might consider putting something in place.

A Judge, who is also my friend, once said "Never throw mud unless you can make it stick"
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back