EPSM or PSSM

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle

Reaction score
Does anyone have a mini that suffers from the above? I would like to know how it was diagnosed and how you treat it.

Thanks in advance

Renee

I don't have a mini with PSSM, but for a couple of months, our vet thought my Quarter Horse mare had it. Before testing, we treated her for it - adding sources of fat to her feed, etc. I did a lot of research at the time, using the University of Minnesota PSSM website: http://www.cvm.umn.edu/umec/lab/PSSM/. They have great info on what to look for, what to do to minimize the effects, etc. Turns out, once we tested her, she didn't have PSSM - instead, she had an inoperable stifle ligament tear (now several years later, she's better after lots of treatment and $$, but still not ride-able at more than a walk).

I hope your questions are hypothetical and all your horses are well. Good luck, Renee!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blood test can determine Type 1 I think... Muscle biopsy is also used (taken behind the rump). Type 2 might not be easily diagnosable.

As much exercise as possible daily to encourage the muscles to use the glycogen and break up those starches.

Low starch hays such as Bermuda and alfalfa... No grain but high fat sources of energy such as rice bran, alfalfa pellets and soybean oil are usual.

There are a couple different schools of thought in this, check out Dr. Beth valentine. It's common in draft horses so I've seen a few cases.

I think the drug Methocarbomol is used in some horses.

It's manageable...

Latest posts

Back