Electric Fencing - Please help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxy's Run

Reaction score
I would like to utilize more of my property for grazing so I was thinking about fencing off some small paddocks with electric fencing so I can rotate the minis around the entire property. However, I have no clue about electric fencing. I already have the posts and some insulators and connectors that a friend gave to me, but what type or brand of wire/tape should I get? What about electric netting? What kind of charger do I need? I'm thinking of three separate paddocks about 1/2 - 3/4 acre each in size. Any information and insight would be appreciated. My biggest fear is the horses getting out of the fencing somehow.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

When I lived in Idaho I used electric fencing for my primary fence. My ponies did get out on more than one occasion. I think my biggest problem is that whenever the ground would be too dry the grounding system didn't seem to work and so they wouldn't get shocked. So, make sure you have a good grounding system. I always just used wire but of course some of the tapes and ropes are more visible.

Thank Jayne. I just don't have 100% confidence in electric fencing but then I don't know anything about it. So I am trying to educate myself on it and I just don't see it being all that safe and secure. My paddocks right now are 5' post with V-mesh wire and top rail. So I have full confidence in that fence with the minis. I would love to be able to do the same on the rest of the property, but I can't afford that right now. (((sigh)))

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

We used a wide white tape for our electric fence so that it would be more visible for them. However, as mentioned before, if the weather was too dry, it would not work well. We would have to "water" the ground wire. And then there were the habitual offenders that would slip thru it regardless, and be found wandering different pastures. If I had to do it over again, I would only use it to reinforce my mesh fencing, but I know it has worked well for others. Try one section and see how it works for you.

I'd run at least 3 strands of a good heavy wire. We also tie flagging tape to the top wire to try, note try, to keep the stupid deer from running through it. We use the "grass cutter" type fencer - that will short through and burn off weeds and grass that get tall enough to touch the wire.

Dont forget to drive a rod into the ground about 6 feet for good resantance(I cant spell), you can get a copper (best) ground rod at Home Depot or a place simlar to that.

Once my minis got their big winter coats, they didn't give a darn about the fence. I now have a permanent three rail and just added a no climb area. I do use electric for some temporary areas. If they have grass to eat, they tend to not want to wander that much. I just would move them to a permanent area at night or if you are unable to be around. For example I would not leave them in temporary areas if I went on a day trip. That is just how I have work it now.

When I lived in Wisconsin I primarily had electric fence with several different pasture sections and around 50 horses. Like the others said - you need a good, deep ground and if going through a dry spell, water down the ground post. I used just 2 strands, both hot. And never had them get out even at their winter wooliest. You need a good quality fencer - if you get a low voltage one you are throwing your money away. Mine was rated for 25 miles...and maybe all total there was 8 miles of wire. Be sure it is "low impedence" so that wet weeds won't be a problem. I used coated fiberglass poles - they would bend slightly if a deer hit the wire and pop right back up. Tensioners on each end so if the wire did stretch a little, a couple of turns on the tensioner would pull it tight. I do not like the wide "tape" type of fencing because the wind catches it, flutters it around, and before you know it - it is stretched, droopy and looks crummy. I have used twisted barbless as well as heavy gauge galvanized (I put chunks of duct tape every 8 feet or so for better visibility).

Hi,

we also use electric for our minis. we use a 10 mile charger and only have about 2 miles of fence up.like the others said its important that you havea good ground spot,cause if that dont work nor does your fence. we use the the flexible fiberglass post that way if we get one that is not sure about it and try to run threw it the fence post will bounce back. we use the thick wire that they sell at TSC and put flagging tape on it to mark the fence also.we dont have a problem with ours getting out,we even have 2 stallions in it. you do need to make sure though that its low enough they cant go under it,and also not a big spand in between the wires(top & bottom) as they seem to think they can walk right threw it if there is.hope this makes sense and that im not just ramblin stuff!

One problem with electric hotwire as the sole barrier is that there is little or no visual barrier. Wide tape gives less of a shock (bad), but provides a much better visual barrier.

I'm a worrier, so I would want some sort of mesh fencing as a backup to the electric, even if it were just field fencing (which I would never use alone), especially if you have busy roads or other dangers nearby.

We use welded wire mesh fencing on one corral with hotwire on top and at knee level to keep the horses off. I would never use this type of fence alone, as the horses can break the welds with rubbing, but with the hotwire it has worked perfectly. It is much less expensive than no-climb or V-mesh, but keeps dogs out and provides a very visible barrier.

We do use step-in stakes and tape fencing alone for temporary grazing on our lawn, but we're at the end of a dead-end, gravel road at the edge of BLM land. Nonetheless, they go back in their secure corrals at night and whenever we leave.

We use 4 strands of the wide electric tape and it works well as long as the ground is working well. With all the rain around here we haven't had any problems with anyone escaping this year but I did have to run another strand 6 inches up from the ground to keep the babies in and they have had their fair share of shocks before learning not to chew on it!!!!! LOL
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back