Einstein the Smallest Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he looks pretty good. Although, it would still be nice to see conformation type photos down at his level.

Thanks for posting the clip.

I'm glad to see they're using a halter on him now. I don't like how they say he's too small to have any other horse as a companion. Kinson's always been on the small side (and still is) but he's still able to be out with the two geldings. Cody is super gentle and motherly (he earned the nickname "nana" because of it lol) and Avalon has incredible patience with Kinson but isn't afraid to remind him to mind his manners. But I also understand the idea of being uncomfortable with the size difference, however, theres plenty of geldings who are small (or small colts they coudl geld) that could've been a companion. But I guess that woudl take away the spotlight off Einstein and he might not seem so impressive or perhaps his conformation might not hold up if compared next to another mini-I'm sure theres 101 different reasons.

He seems like he's doing well though and his owners are still thrilled with him

Reble, you sure have taken a shine to that little dwarf, Einstein! You've done several posts about him. Are you friends with his owners or know the horse personally?

While he is a cute dwarf, I really would much rather see the kind of national attention he's getting paid to a well built miniature horse that is a decent representative of what conscientious breeders strive to produce, vs. a obvious dwarf like Einstein.

I feel that dragging Einstein around as a "representative" of our breed discredits the niceness and versatility of a good miniature horse... Too many people who see him, including big horse people, will not realize that he NOT a good example of our breed standards, and in fact has a genetic condition that we wish we could eliminate from the breeding pool.

Here's a recent and lengthy discussion about his dwarfism: http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=122765

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rebel,

I'm not going to critique his conformation, but I honestly do not understand why anyone who knows anything about dwarfism thinks he is a dwarf.

Susan O.

Well, let's do a poll and see. What's another Einstein thread
default_biggrin.png

Reble, you sure have taken a shine to that little dwarf, Einstein! You've done several posts about him. Are you friends with his owners or know the horse personally?

While he is a cute dwarf, I really would much rather see the kind of national attention he's getting paid to a well built miniature horse that is a decent representative of what conscientious breeders strive to produce, vs. a obvious dwarf like Einstein.

I feel that dragging Einstein around as a "representative" of our breed discredits the niceness and versatility of a good miniature horse... Too many people who see him, including big horse people, will not realize that he NOT a good example of our breed standards, and in fact has a genetic condition that we wish we could eliminate from the breeding pool.

Here's a recent and lengthy discussion about his dwarfism: http://www.miniature...howtopic=122765
I dont see him looking like a dwarf in the video at all....have you something against him to be so attacking!!!!

I saw it also. I don't see a lot of dwarf characteristics. I do see a short neck. His bite appeared OK. Fine boned legs. Head wasn't huge. Back wasn't as convex as I would think a dwarf would be at his age. If I were to state an opinion, and ONLY My opinion based on the GMA spot this morning, I would not consider him a dwarf. OK let the flames and outrage commence!
default_wink.png

Well, I sure don't see DWARF, he does have a roach back, but I am also one who doesn't quite get why everyone thinks he is one!

And for heck's sake, he is just darling, quite the personality, and just might get people to look at mini horses! The owners themselves have said he is not show quality. But a great pet! And it looks like he is! He is well-loved and well cared for, it is quite obvious.

I am going to buy the book for my granddaughter.

I just can't believe how sanctimonious some people get on this forum!
default_no.gif

Trying again - that annoying Internal Server Error ate my previous reply...

As I said in the other thread - I feel he is a dwarf and have said that from day one. IMO his scoliosis is but one indicator of that and more issues may develop as he matures.
default_unsure.png

All that aside, he seems to have a lot of charm and personality and I will bet that he fancies himself quite the star! Just as the resident dwarf here - Cowboy - does!
default_yes.gif

I think the little guys always have quite the Napoleon complex...
default_wink.png

Do they say how tall he is? Because....I have two 2010 fillies who look like they may be shorter than him.....

I still think he's a dwarf. Two 30''+ horses shouldn't produce a foal who was 6 lbs. Two of MY 30''+ horses would produce a foal 2-3 times as heavy.

Like I said, I think he's a dwarf; although he looks very good for one.

As a horse person with over 35 years in horses, but rather new to the mini world, I look at this pretty mini and myself do not see any dwarf characteristics. He has beautiful bone and length of bone, a cute head, normal sized ears, etc... Does he have show conformation? I do not think he is world quality halter horse material myself, but most minis are pets or just family members anyways. As long as he is not squatty, domed headed, short & crooked legged, hunched backed and looking peculiar (an obvious dwarf or horrendous looking period) what is wrong with Einstein promoting the miniature horse breed? Its not like they are out there promoting that "hey this is a dwarf horse( well at least thats what people are saying)) and everyone needs one". We should be grateful that Einstein as a miniature horse (whether dwarf or not) is promoting our beloved breed. The owners are not saying that this guy is the ideal miniature horse, he was just ultra tiny at birth. He got attention and the attention ran. I bet every person on this board would have ran with the attention too had it been them and they had had the opportunity.

Which leads me to- Exactly what would a miniature horse NEED to look like to go around promoting the breed? An exotic looking halter or high stepping driving horse? What is the perfect mini or is there one perfect type or many?

Although I am not voting either way I am certainly watching the poll. I don't feel solid YES or NO.
default_unsure.png
I would have to be like a politician who was against the horse being a dwarf before I was for it, I mean for the horse being a dwarf before I was against it. For those of you who are expressing an opinion of whether or not he is a dwarf I can respect your opionion either way...since we are all entitled to our opinion.
default_wink.png

He looks great! I don't see dwarf at all. Good for the owners!! He seems like a fine little guy.

Maybe some are some jealous that they are getting so much attention?
default_laugh.png

sorry, the internal server error misposted! hopefully it gets fixed soon!

He looks great! I don't see dwarf at all. Good for the owners!! He seems like a fine little guy.

Maybe some are some jealous that they are getting so much attention?
default_laugh.png
Jealous? I doubt it. I doubt anybody on here is jealous of the attention he is getting. Maybe we all would like to have had the chance to TWEAK the way this whole thing turned out? (EX. Changing "Smallest Stallion" to "Smallest Gelding") or maybe stop promoting the whole "Smallest NON-dwarf thing" and go for, "Einstein the Therapy Horse"....etc.

I think that Einstein's owners are purely taking the wrong angle on this. They need to stray away from the breeding (Stallion & Smallest) to the social (Therapy Horse).

Einstein could do great things if the title wasn't STALLION! We don't want the Miniature Horse breed to be flocked with people thinking, "Oh, that's a small stallion. A pretty one too. I want one JUST like him!" Especially when there's the chance that he MAY be a dwarf, (Most likely....Bonds Tiny Tim anyone?) or have awkward conformation.

If his owners were to GELD Einstein and drop the Guinness thing I would be fine. As would a lot of people. Plus, its OBVIOUS that Thumblina is the Smallest Horse.
wink.gif

I do not think Einstein is a dwarf. But I dont deny that he does not have the best conformation.

For those of you who are concerned about people who do not know much about minis and are first introduced to the breed by seeing Einstein, don't you think that is a step up from Thumbelina? She is an extreme and very obvious dwarf. Einstein may have some flaws, but he is still better put together, IMO.

Has anyone who has a National Champion horse tried contacting GMA or anyone else? Given them an opportunity to share a great example of the breed? Who knows, maybe now that Einstein has created such a buzz about the breed, we can really come together as a community and show them what these little guys can REALLY do. And look like.

Jealous? Uh, I really don't think so
default_biggrin.png

What I find upsetting is that while Einstein is a very poor physical example of the breed and possesses many qualities breeders should not only avoid but readily recognize, he's being held out to the general public as an example of a miniature horse. He's not the first dwarf to be in that kind of a position. Then, to ice the cupcake of Einstein's publicity tour, he's also being billed as a "stallion"
default_no.gif

It's horses like Einstein and Thumbelina that the general public has in mind when they hear the words "miniature horse." Does that make me jealous? No. However, as someone passionate about what miniature horses can and should be -- and all they should be built to DO -- it does make me want to speak up
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back