Dwarf lameness issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacyeking

Reaction score
Our dwarf, 5 months old, is having problems with her rear legs. Doc has her on antibiotics and bute. I am aware that dwarfism causes a myriad of physical problems in varying degrees, and my vet has suggested that we may have to make some "decisions" about her soon.

Someone here mentioned a site dedicated to dwarfism in minis the last time I posted about her when I was wondering if she is a dwarf. I have lost that information. If you know what site I'm referring to, would you please post the the address?

She is the sweetest animal I've ever known. I never knew a horse would roll over on its back for belly scratches, or try to climb in your lap. I hate to lose her but I'm afraid that it is coming because of her rear leg.

Any information or direction to informative sites would be appreciated.

Stacye

Little Bits

spelling corrected, Thanks!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wishing you all the best with your little guy....... Nothing wise to say.
default_smile.png
Just feeling your concern and feeling for you.

STACYE, JUST BRINGING BACK UP SO MAYBE SOMEONE WILL TRY AND HELP ON HERE.

You need to try to get hold of the LB member JourneysEnd I think that is how she spells it. Vickie is an excellent farrier as well as knowing so much about the horses anatomy. She straightened the legs on one of my young horses (he was not a dwarf but had some bad farrier work), and after working on him and his growing he became a great hunter horse (all 29" of him).

I don't have any experience to help but wanted you to know I admire you greatly. You are a special person to love and care for her in spite of her problems. Wishing nothing but joy for you both, however long she is with you.

th_DSC02171.jpg

Here is a picture of her taken a week or so ago. She was not limping then.

Her legs are in pretty good shape, not crooked like some. I do her feet myself, and they are unusual, but functional. I spoke with a farrier from here on the board yesterday and got some suggestions for methods of trimming that might help her feet be more normal.

The left rear leg is the one that is bothering her now. She wouldn't bear weight on it. She lays down quite a bit. Her stifle is swollen. Vet gave her antibiotics in case of an infection and bute for the discomfort and as of this morning she is moving around better and putting a little weight on the leg, but still limping, so I'm hoping that improvement is coming along and that it won't be serious.

Thank you all for the suggestions and support. Thank you to those who emailed and phoned, as well. It is great to have the wonderful knowledge-pool that we have here!

I'll keep you updated with her progress,

Stacye

Latest posts

Back