Does this sound like an arthritis issue?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
History: My little 30" therapy mini mare has always had a little stiff legged walk in the rear since I got her at 2yo. She is now 9yo. She has never had an issue with trotting or running. Never lame. She has had some tummy issues over the last couple of years, but currently doing well.

Problem: We went to trailer her and she refused to load. She has been trailered since she was 2 yo to different events and places and this has never been an issue before. We did get her to the event and return but with issues.

Solution: I sent up the trailer with the door opened and surrounded it with a small portable fence. Placed her small pallet with grip tred at the based of it (like an extra step), placed her favorite things to eat just beyond to see if she would load on her own and/or if there was still an issue. As long as she had the extra step she would load. Problem solved.

QUESTION: Do you think it sound like she has arthritis developing in the back end?

While arthritis is possible, she does seem young for it (I know it can occur at any age, but usually its later, unless they are worked hard). Any chance she could have hurt herself and you didn't see what happened, but she is sore from it?

Latest posts

Back