Drove him for the FIRST TIME!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticallyChallenged

Reaction score
So we drove my mini gelding for the first time yesterday...he was AMAZING! I have been waiting for this moment for a long time..... and Magic acted like he's been doing it his whole life! I don't have a photobucket acct to post pictures on here, not sure how otherwise, so you can just see pics on my website at www.glacierridge.com/magic.

I know the breastcollar is too low, I need to punch some holes to raise it up.... if you see anything else wrong, I'm new to this, so would appreciate any friendly feedback! I thought, too, that the shafts need to either be level or slighly uphill. By the pics, it looks like the shafts here were slightly downhill.... therefore putting more weight on his back, right? I have not looked to see if I can adjust the length of the holders...

I have been grounddriving him since last summer, and for the past month getting him accustomed to having the cart next to, and behind him. After him doing so well walking in between the shafts without being hitched to the cart, I figured it was time. He got lots of lovin's afterwards, for being such a GOOD boy!

Angie

www.glacierridge.com/magic

Sorry I cannot post pics on here....but they are there!

Congratulations!!!

It is a rush, huh??? So far, I've only trained one of my own to drive (have had many professionally trained), but I will never forget the rush the first time I drove my own home-trained mare!

I think you are on the right track regarding raise the breast collar and the shafts. I know when I used to video tape myself riding, I'd see a lot of things watching the video that helped me see what I should change, just like with you seeing the pictures of your boy hooked up.

Keep up the good work!!!

Jill

PS Here are your pictures! All you have to do is click the square icon w/ the tree picture and then paste the image URL to the box that pops up
default_yes.gif
:

magic19may07%20022.JPG

magic19may07%20028.JPG

magic19may07%20030.JPG

magic19may07%20039.JPG

magic19may07%20043.JPG

magic19may07%20044.JPG

magic19may07%20045.JPG

magic19may07%20046.JPG

magic19may07%20047.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you are having fun! I hope to have 4 of mine driving by the end of the summer.

WOw! Good job! Looks like you have lots of help which is great. I know the feeling of accomplishment when you get in the cart for the first time.

Just as a side note... You might want to check the fit of your collar and traces. Your collar is fitted way too low, bring it up so it fits right where the neck meets the chest. Also, when he pulls it shouldn't be floppy like that, so maybe bring the traces tighter a slot or two. It will make him a lot happier if he's pulling with the breastcollar instead of the saddle. You might also want to bring the shaft loops up a notch so your cart shafts are not pointing downward, which also puts a lot of pressure on the saddle.

Keep us posted on the progress! And thanks for the pictures!

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so cool! Congrats on the accomplishment. He looks like an old pro, like you two have been a team for a long time. I can imagine how excited you must be, congrats again, and heres
default_cheers.gif
: to many more exciting times for you two.

Good job! With the harness adjustments you've already mentioned I think everything will work just fine and meanwhile your horse looks very willing and happy. What a great example you set with all those helpers and so much training put in before you hitched.
default_yes.gif
: Congratulations!

Leia

Thank you, Jill, for posting the pics for me! I'm so proud of my guy.... he has taken EVERYTHING in stride, and made things go SO well. But I wanted him to be as comfortable as can be so I have taken things very slow.... We only did a few loops around the yard, first with him being led, then with someone walking just beside him, and finally by himself, ended on a good note, and without tiring him out, unhitched and unharnessed, and he got lots of praise and treats for being such a good boy.

Thank you for the replies, I did refer to the issue with the breastcollar and the shafts in my first post, but anything else to critique me on would be excellent! Sounds like my recollection was right that the shafts should be level or slightly up, and mine look slightly down. Next time he is harnessed up, both of those will be adjusted for sure!

We have a great little horse here....he is my first and only mini...

Angie

:aktion033: CONGRATULATIONS!!! It sounds like you had a wonderful time, and I know you'll be making many more memories together in the future!!
default_yes.gif
:

Congratulations. I know how much work goes into getting them into that cart. I have done that with three of mine, and there is nothing like it. I love it. It is scary, exciting, fun and on and on. Have fun. As long as you do, he will and the two of you will make a great team. Congrats again.

Back