Driving Outfit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
Okay, what is everyone wearing for driving? Mainly pleasure driving at open shows (and possibly Pinto shows, depending on how he does his first year out). Do you wear long-sleeve dressy tops? Blazers? Short sleeved, or even sleeveless, dresses? If you wear a dress, do you also use a lap robe?

TIA!

Wendy

The open shows I go to some just wear the pants they wore in halter class especially since we only have 15 minutes to get horse hitched after last halter class. I'm lucky as I have help so I change from black pants to black skirt that goes with my teal jacket and black hat that I had on for the halter classes. If I have more help than just my husband as he thinks he really knows what he's doing and doesn't (tries hooking horse to cart without breast collar etc. Then I change into a long sleeve shirt that matches another skirt I have and use my hat from halter classes. I don't think I've seen anyone use a lap robe if they have skirts or dresses. I couldn't tell you about pinto shows as I don't know. Even at our local rated shows the women do not change from the clothes they wore in halter.

Thanks. We have time to change, because the open shows around here have halter, then a few riding classes, then driving. The one show has the driving right between two junior horse classes...dumb, dumb, dumb. But I digress....

Is your jacket a regular showmanship type jacket? Or more of a ladies blazer type thing (like from JC Penny)? Is it all blinged out, like the QH show attire, or more moderate?

Thanks again!

The open shows I go to some just wear the pants they wore in halter class especially since we only have 15 minutes to get horse hitched after last halter class. I'm lucky as I have help so I change from black pants to black skirt that goes with my teal jacket and black hat that I had on for the halter classes. If I have more help than just my husband as he thinks he really knows what he's doing and doesn't (tries hooking horse to cart without breast collar etc. Then I change into a long sleeve shirt that matches another skirt I have and use my hat from halter classes. I don't think I've seen anyone use a lap robe if they have skirts or dresses. I couldn't tell you about pinto shows as I don't know. Even at our local rated shows the women do not change from the clothes they wore in halter.

I have two showmanship jackets. I just got the one so haven't used it yet but the teal one is a showmanship jacket from Hobby Horse I think and yes it does have bling. It was noticed when i first wore it, not in a bad way, everybody liked it, but it was not an every day jacket. If price is a problem as most showmanship jackets are quite expensive try ebay. i was stupid and looked there after getting this one and the second was given to me. When I didn't have the jackets I would do a long sleeve shirt and vest but I am very competitive in showmanship and knew I needed a jacket and it could be used for more than the one class. Total outfit is black cowboy hat, black sleeveless slinky top udner jacket as I am in Florida, black skirt for driving or black pants for halter, black boots and black gloves. If I can find a picture and get Barnbum to post it for me I will. I just have to see if I have one on the computer.

Amanda

I show Quarter Horses, and I already have showmanship jackets. My favorite is a real pretty yellow with black lapel and cuffs. I always wore a black slinky dickie under it (which has rhinestones) and paired it with black hat and boots. I lent that out to someone...now I can't remember seeing it in ages, and I sure hope she gave it back. My second favorite is a hunter green jacket with brown suede around the lapel with rhinestones. I wore a matching dickie under it, too, with really light tan pants and brown boots. Boy, this isn't going to be as fun if I don't have an excuse to buy new show clothes. LOL

Thanks for the help! Shopping for the clothes is almost as much fun as actually showing. *g*

I have two showmanship jackets. I just got the one so haven't used it yet but the teal one is a showmanship jacket from Hobby Horse I think and yes it does have bling. It was noticed when i first wore it, not in a bad way, everybody liked it, but it was not an every day jacket. If price is a problem as most showmanship jackets are quite expensive try ebay. i was stupid and looked there after getting this one and the second was given to me. When I didn't have the jackets I would do a long sleeve shirt and vest but I am very competitive in showmanship and knew I needed a jacket and it could be used for more than the one class. Total outfit is black cowboy hat, black sleeveless slinky top udner jacket as I am in Florida, black skirt for driving or black pants for halter, black boots and black gloves. If I can find a picture and get Barnbum to post it for me I will. I just have to see if I have one on the computer.

Amanda

Well, you can't wear the same thing every single time. You have to have variety don't you? (does that help with theexcuse for the shopping?) That's how I am with costume classes that I do too. I always want something different each time but those outfits can be alot less expensive depending on what you come up with.

I normal wear a black skirt (full lenght) and just a nice top...this year I found a nice black with red at JC Penney during the holiday.

K

That's a great excuse! hehehe I joked, when I bought my stallion as a weanling, that he was going to be the 2007 Pinto World Driving Mini. I'll definitely need a one-of-a-kind blinged-to-the-max outfit for that. LOL

Well, you can't wear the same thing every single time. You have to have variety don't you? (does that help with theexcuse for the shopping?) That's how I am with costume classes that I do too. I always want something different each time but those outfits can be alot less expensive depending on what you come up with.

Long sleeved, right? I've seen quite a few pictures online that show people driving in short sleeves and sleeveless dresses. I didn't think that was right, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

I normal wear a black skirt (full lenght) and just a nice top...this year I found a nice black with red at JC Penney during the holiday.

K

wendymac, you won't see near the same amount of bling that you do at a QH show LOL. Depends too what you are driving, single or country pleasure. At the big shows (World) you see more formal attire in single pleasure, ie formal dresses and glitz. Country pleasure can be anything from straw hat and tweed jacket, which you really don't see much of at breed shows, to more dressy but conservative. More like showmanship used to be in QH. I usually wear a broomstick skirt for country, which I can slip on over my show pants (good for a couple of reasons :bgrin ) with a jacket & slinky. I've got several jackets, from plain blazer to more embellished with a little sparkle. Some folks go more Western, some don't - more of a personal preference. I saw more hats on ladies several years ago than I do now in country - if you have watched the QH pleasure driving you've seen the hats they wear, not western but more dress hats.

Will try to post some pictures.

Jan

When showing open, you generally go by ADs rules. I suggest you get a copy of the driving rulebook, and go from there. I think that our Equine Canadian rules are very much the same, so I will tell you what we need to show open driving, competitively.

Sleeves, yes, long-sleeves definately preferred. Hats a must, (no flopping brims) as are brown/beige gloves. (your reins should be brown-ended as well) Driving apron or laprobe is down as one of the options, but with any judge I know...it is a must-have. Whip---in hand.

Here are the hats I was thinking about:

Driving Hats

I really liked the Doreen, but not sure what other colors it comes in, and wasn't sure about the veiling or not. That wouldn't be too gaudy for bigger shows, would it?

I figured I could make a driving apron easily enough...just take some material, stick some velcro on there, and I'd be good to go.

I also need to have another outfit that will compliment whatever I get for my 9-year-old daughter. Hubby will drive with her in Open shows, but I'll be with her for the 4-H stuff.

I wondered about the whip thing. I always thought it was silly to require a whip, but then some of the drivers just left them in the whip holder on their carts through the whole class. I'm new to driving minis, but I sure don't want to be a country bumpkin. LOL

Why brown? If my outfit is mainly black-based, wouldn't I be better off with black, so it blends and creates a better line? Or doesn't it matter if your gloves don't go with the rest of your outfit?

Thanks so much!

When showing open, you generally go by ADs rules. I suggest you get a copy of the driving rulebook, and go from there. I think that our Equine Canadian rules are very much the same, so I will tell you what we need to show open driving, competitively.

Sleeves, yes, long-sleeves definately preferred. Hats a must, (no flopping brims) as are brown/beige gloves. (your reins should be brown-ended as well) Driving apron or laprobe is down as one of the options, but with any judge I know...it is a must-have. Whip---in hand.

Maybe I can be a trend setter. LOL

What am I driving? Because of mainly showing open shows, with western judges, I want him to drive like a smaller version of a QH pleasure driver. That would be Country Pleasure, wouldn't it? I love broomstick skirts, because they adjust to my ever-changing (and usually ever-enlarging) belly. LOL

I really want to do the formal attire/glitz route, but not if everyone else is in straw hats and tweed jackets. The last thing I'm going to need is a judge rolling their eyes, thinking, "Where did this turnip roll off the truck at?"
default_wacko.png
:

wendymac, you won't see near the same amount of bling that you do at a QH show LOL. Depends too what you are driving, single or country pleasure. At the big shows (World) you see more formal attire in single pleasure, ie formal dresses and glitz. Country pleasure can be anything from straw hat and tweed jacket, which you really don't see much of at breed shows, to more dressy but conservative. More like showmanship used to be in QH. I usually wear a broomstick skirt for country, which I can slip on over my show pants (good for a couple of reasons :bgrin ) with a jacket & slinky. I've got several jackets, from plain blazer to more embellished with a little sparkle. Some folks go more Western, some don't - more of a personal preference. I saw more hats on ladies several years ago than I do now in country - if you have watched the QH pleasure driving you've seen the hats they wear, not western but more dress hats.

Will try to post some pictures.

Jan

Mostly all of my driving outfits have come from department stores. ie: Hecht's now Macy's at the end of season in the dress department. I get really good deals with the jackets( because the pants were lost etc.) I've gotten lots of jackets for around $8-30 that have started with the full set for around $100-300. I can't pass those deals up. I did buy some from a higher end store called Steinmart. They sell designer discounted clothes. I bought a black jacket with embroidered butterflies all over it. I waited for that jacket to go on sale and was finally able to get it, but have not shown since I bought so I'm itching to use it. I also, wear driving hats that you can buy at the same stores. I don't buy ones with large brims as they will flip up. I also, always wear black gloves(riding gloves).

I usually wear my performance/halter clothes which are a nice jacket(would love to have a custom made jacket or one from Hobby horse,etc) with a slinky underneath and jeans(black usually). For driving I just change my jacket and throw on a long black skirt with elastic and just pull that right over my jeans.

Kim

AMHR rules do NOT follow ADS rules - so no lap robe required -- or brown gloves unless that is what yuo want to match your outfit.

I'd share photos but don't know how that would work here and besides photobucket is now having difficulties.

Pinto World for the minis is a bit more relaxed that AMHR World. At Pinto World 2 years ago my sister wore a black skirt with a black and white blouse and black hat. I wore a western style dress (fringe type you might also use for dancing) and a black hat with a red flower. You might try looking at the hats in the second hand store. I found mine in the back of my closet and it has to be at least 30 years old.

Most of the local AMHR shows they wear the slacks from halter and a short jacket (bolero type) or a nice blouse. Some wear hats; some don't. Don't know where you're from so it's best to check out what they're using in your area. We're in Wisconsin.

I wondered about the whip thing. I always thought it was silly to require a whip, but then some of the drivers just left them in the whip holder on their carts through the whole class. I'm new to driving minis, but I sure don't want to be a country bumpkin. LOL
Honestly, it isn't silly at all. A whip, used properly is an aid...think of it as your legs. You guide your horse with it, not beat it.
default_yes.gif
:
Why brown? If my outfit is mainly black-based, wouldn't I be better off with black, so it blends and creates a better line? Or doesn't it matter if your gloves don't go with the rest of your outfit?
Open driving is steeped in tradition. In the "old days" leather dye wasn't as good as it is now, and would run, and leave black over gloves and clothing, hence, the reins are supposed to be brown (undyed) on the end you hold. Granted, they are now generally dyed brown, :eek: Yet the tradition holds. Same as the apron, that was originally there to keep your good "Sunday" clothes from becoming dirty and dusty.
Maybe I can be a trend setter.
default_yes.gif
: Sure you can try. It won't be the first time someone has fought pleasure driving tradition. but when you get passed over time after time, bythose who are properly dressed, you have no one to blame but yourself. After all the money, hard work, time, and effort I put into my horses, I don't think it's worth it to dis the rules.
default_wink.png
:
AMHR rules do NOT follow ADS rules - so no lap robe required -- or brown gloves unless that is what you want to match your outfit.
Amy, you are 100% correct, they follow rules similar to draft, actually; sleeveless dresses, no hats or aprons, and most often using black reins. BUT...in the original post, wendymac, said they would be competing in OPEN shows, not AMHR or AMHA.
default_yes.gif
:

Happy Driving!

However, open shows in the USA do not require hats or aprons. I show open and AMHA and AMHR. I wear slacks as I also drive roadster and usually have 2-3 horses driving in back to back classes. I also wear long sleeves sometimes glitzty sometimes not depends on the show. Goodwill and thrift stores are great places to get good driving clothes especially for kids as they tend to trash them. Linda B

Oh, I didn 't mean the whip itself was silly...just that the rule requires one, but the driver leaves it parked in the whip holder. If they would happen to need it, they'd never get to it in time.

I think the whole clothing thing is confusing because of the open/Pinto show part. The judges here, in Pennsylvania, are mainly QH and Paint judges. So, whether intentionally or not, they're mainly looking at the minis as smaller Quarter Horses. I highly doubt any of them have any clue about what clothing is or isn't appropriate...they're too busy watching the horses' movement (at least I hope so!).

Now, there is a huge mini and draft horse driving show that I'm thinking about going to. I have NO idea what the appropriate clothing is, and they don't have a word about in their rule book. But I do know that they are actually driving judges. They have the pleasure driving, and the obstacle driving (which I would love to eventually do). That's probably where the traditional driving clothing would be appropriate, and not the "stock horse" driving stuff?

open shows in the USA do not require hats or aprons
They must, to a point, as any ADS site I have checked, they do.
default_unsure.png
: The CDS list I belong to is based in the US, and there is always talk of what the proper clothing etc...is. I would think the rules are basically the same for driving anywhere you go, else we'd never be able to compete internationally.

Carriage Driving pics and info

ADS, and aprons

Oh, I didn 't mean the whip itself was silly...just that the rule requires one, but the driver leaves it parked in the whip holder. If they would happen to need it, they'd never get to it in time.
I am so sorry, I misunderstood you. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but the open all breed shows do not require hats or aprons. I show open shows and I do not wear a hat or apron [i look stupid in a hat]. I do not drive ADS or CDE by choice though my horses are quite capable to do such. These are open shows just like pleasure drivng classes in AMHA or AMHR and the rules in AMHA or AMHR do not require a hat or apron.

Open shows--fairs, all breed shows--here don't require hats or aprons either--nor gloves. These kinds of shows don't generally follow any specific rule book--the prize lists usually have a little info on the class requirements, and that (along with the general rules in the front of the prize list) are the extent of the rules. Anything not set out in the prize list is pretty much up to show management, no matter what Equine Canada or ADS rules might state.

I'm thinking that the original poster was referring to open shows as in local fairs or open all breed shows that offer a few driving classes, rather than to open driving shows that are open to all breeds but run according to ADS rules.

Latest posts

Back