Driving Harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of good info, thanks you guy's!

I am going to pass on the harness I was describing. I decided to get more of a working harness, at least that is what I think you guy's are calling a plain Jane leather harness.
default_biggrin.png
I am not showing O So so I don't need anything fancy!

Myrna said:Yes, it is good to take it slow, but putting the cart to the horse for the first time is the most dangerous part of the training process. Don't worry, you are still in the "easy" stages.

That's why I'm going to hand her over to Lori for the tough stuff.

Thanks for the tips. I'll dress her up again and see if I get it right this time.

W

A lot of good info, thanks you guy's!

I am going to pass on the harness I was describing. I decided to get more of a working harness, at least that is what I think you guy's are calling a plain Jane leather harness.
default_biggrin.png
Ozark Mountain sells a very nice plain jane harness that you could easily show in if you decided you wanted to. You can also send in your measurements and get it reasonably sized to fit. Down the road if you wanted to "pretty it up" you could purchase a fancier bridle separately.

Myrna said:Yes, it is good to take it slow, but putting the cart to the horse for the first time is the most dangerous part of the training process. Don't worry, you are still in the "easy" stages.

Now Myrna, we are not supposed to tell people anything about driving is "dangerous"
default_biggrin.png
therefore putting to for the first time is a possibly "not easy" stage.

MiLo Minis said:
Now Myrna, we are not supposed to tell people anything about driving is "dangerous"
default_biggrin.png
therefore putting to for the first time is a possibly "not easy" stage.
default_laugh.png
What's that one line? "May your day contain moments of unusual interest?"

Leia

I stand corrected! Putting to for the first time could be "unusually interesting"!
default_new_rofl.gif

I stand corrected! Putting to for the first time could be "unusually interesting"!
default_new_rofl.gif
Well, the most "unusually interesting" few moments I had with her was getting her to accept clipping below the knees. Holy Moley!!!

However in the end I could sit in a chair with her leg in my lap and clip her that way.

She has already done well over 20 miles of line driving, has walked and trotted beside, behind and in front of the cart (no harness) and even has been travelling along between the shafts a couple of times. So I expect that with Lori's process, the first hitch could be fairly tame. (Here's hoping!
default_smile.png

Having said that, however, she is fairly feisty, which is why I'm not going to go on a wing and a prayer!

Since the snow covered the grass, she's been out with the big horses running around to get her a little more fit. Her nickname is the "Manitoba Mustang" - she would prefer to scratch for frozen grass under the snow than eat hay from the feeder.

default_biggrin.png
I think that what I would describe as a plain Jane harness compared to a "fancy" harness isn't what other people think of.
default_laugh.png

To me, Plain Jane is no patent leather, stainless fitings, maybe Beta instead of leather. Just a serviceable well-made work harness, like a Camptown or something.

To me, fancy is patent leather on the blinders, saddle, breastcollar and breeching; brass ornaments on the blinders and false martingale and maybe a couple other places, chain browband, extremely good leather, double buckle cavesson, open cheeks vs. box cheeks on the bridle, double stitched throughout, etc.

I do not consider a spotted harness to be "fancy" at all. Granted, it has its place maybe in a draft style class or a parade put to a hitch wagon, but never for any other style of show.

Myrna

Thank you!

I think I'd better clip that mohawk, oops I mean bridle path
default_smile.png

I think that what I would describe as a plain Jane harness compared to a "fancy" harness isn't what other people think of.
default_laugh.png

To me, Plain Jane is no patent leather, stainless fitings, maybe Beta instead of leather. Just a serviceable well-made work harness, like a Camptown or something.

To me, fancy is patent leather on the blinders, saddle, breastcollar and breeching; brass ornaments on the blinders and false martingale and maybe a couple other places, chain browband, extremely good leather, double buckle cavesson, open cheeks vs. box cheeks on the bridle, double stitched throughout, etc.

I do not consider a spotted harness to be "fancy" at all. Granted, it has its place maybe in a draft style class or a parade put to a hitch wagon, but never for any other style of show.

Myrna

I think that is the accepted meaning of "plain Jane" for pretty much everyone that knows harnessing Myrna. I wouldn't use a Parade harness for carriage driving either - it just isn't a pleasure harness at all but it does have it's place. The plain Jane harness I was thinking of is the inexpensively priced, well made Ozark MW95 harness which happens to be on sale right now. It comes with everything you need to get started driving (I would not use the bit that comes with it though)and is a very reasonable price. It has a tiny bit of glitz in the patent blinders and saddle so that you can use it for pleasure shows or breed shows with the breeching removed if you so choose. It doesn't have some of the really nice features that a more expensive harness will have but it is certainly serviceable and safe and will fit the bill for training level. I have used quite a few of these harnesses and can recommend them as being a decent working/beginner harness at a price that you don't mind spending just to find out if you enjoy the sport or not. Anyone that wants to get into driving a little deeper is not going to be happy with this harness but then it can be upgraded with a fancier bridle, better breast collar, etc. or just kept as a working harness once you purchase your more expensive/fancier harness. I would far rather see someone put out the $250 for this harness than the same amount on a new or used harness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

I think I'd better clip that mohawk, oops I mean bridle path
default_smile.png
They all grow that in the winter up here. Fleur gets a good one going on. LOL Can't wait to meet Lacey. I love Mary Ann's horses. (We have two of them
default_smile.png
) They do like to drive!

Latest posts

Back