"Dream Pony"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen S

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been reading through the comments on “Your Dream Horse” from another forum and I keep seeing a common thread running through most of the postings…Cost.

I know there are a lot of folks wanting to get into the Shetland show ring that are out there shopping right now and like everyone else they are looking for their “Dream Pony”. Those of us that are breeders would love for folks to contact us about any one of the ponies we have listed and ask about them. Some websites will list prices and some will list horses as private treaties, that doesn't necessarily mean that pony maybe out of your financial reach. I have seen ponies sell anywhere from $100 all the way up to $15,000. Like a lot of you I also go look at websites to see what is for sale and find horses that I would like to add to my breeding program, I call the owners to inquire and ask what their goals are for that horse. If I’m interested in that animal I will make an offer or ask if they would discount a pony if I take that pony and put it in the show ring especially on a young horse. Not only does it promote the breeders breeding program it also gives the new owner a chance to promote their farms with their seed stock. All breeders want their horses shown and if it meant I take off several hundred dollars to put that pony in your hands then I will do all I can to see that takes place for you. Some farms even offer some incentives for you the buyer that can help make it possible for you to get the pony of your dreams. We will strive to make you a happy and hopefully a repeat buyer.

I have a couple of questions….when you are looking at stock whether it’s a foal or older pony….do you, as a buyer, want to see how that pony does in the show ring before you buy it? If that doesn’t appeal to you as a buyer (a pony with any type of show record), then can you tell me what drives a sale for you? Take out color cause I know a lot of sales are based on a particular color or color pattern. Give me some insight on what you are looking at, what can be done to improve sales or sale pages and your overall thoughts on your buying habits.

Thanks.

Karen

First and foremost for me is I want to see a picture. Doesn't even have to be a great picture but if I like what I see then I want to know Sex, age, hgt, sire, dam, and cost. If all of that fits then I will inquire about more. I am not sure why people do not like to post a price but if I am looking and there is not one then I go on. I don't like for an add to go on and on about what the animal could be capable of doing as it matures. I just want the basics and then if I am still interested then I will make additional contact. I tend to post on my sale horses the bottom line price so I am not always very negotiable with the price but always have people at least ask. A factual add with no fluff.

Arlene

If it something that we see in a picture or a horse running in a field and it catches our eye I will inquire about it. If the horse is were we can see it look it over conformation, then ask price and then blood line. Bloodline is not that important it just that special something that we see in a horse.

I understand and respect why breeders and farms that choose to list horses at private treaty, but to me personally, yes i would still inqure but i would be less likely to inquire unless i felt very strongly about the horse. I've bought one horse that was listed at private treaty and i feel like i personally got one heck of a deal on that horse.

I have been very lucky in sense that most everyone i have bought horses from or sold horses to i have stayed pretty well in contact with and a normal basis. When im looking at a sales list on the internet or browing the saleboard i generally just wait for something to come along that makes me go
default_new_shocked.gif
and then go from there if i have room for that horse to be shown based on his / her division she would go into and i have been mostly looking at broodmares over the past year but currently looking for show prospects for next year as i have a smaller show string this year, but i have a general idea of what i want (broodmares, colts ext). I like to see photos (up to date photos), bite, legs and a video of them trotting and posing.

I am very easy to work with when i am selling a horse
default_yes.gif

I have my dream pony and i am thrilled with her, i could not imagine not seeing her in the barn every morning
default_yes.gif

3-21.jpg

33-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back