Double Irish Chain top is done

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Here is the top with all the blocks just laid out.

And then all pieced together. Gotta say, I'm pleased with the look, it used up some fabric and still is orderly enough to satisfy me.

It's going to be a large lap quilt. Not nearly large enough for a bed, but I'm so done cutting all those little pieces of fabric. LOL

evolution of a quilt-Double Irish Chain 001.JPG

evolution of a quilt-Double Irish Chain 006.JPG

I actually agonized over what colors to use and where to place each piece. Then I actually laid out a large section of the pattern before I started piecing and found out it didn't matter. The material was either muslin or it was a color. Didn't make any difference what colors I used or where I placed them. Once I discovered that I was free to try to use up all my little scrappy pieces of fabric. I like fact that it's colorful, yet it appeals to my sense of "orderliness". (I'm pretty anal retentive) So far, it hasn't actually cost me any money, either because I had all that fabric. I'm pretty sure I have cotton batting, as well. But I know I'll need wide unbleached muslin for the backing.

Absolutely love it! Wish I could work as quickly as you.

Love your quilt, I'm getting so that I really like the scrappy look. Besides using up a stash they are colorful. Double Irish Chain is one of my favorites.

Really striking!

Why buy wide muslin for the backing? Continue your use of your stash by piecing the back. Most very old quilts have a back made of more than one color. The biggest challenge for that is keeping the back positioned correctly so it is even when quilted. I think it makes the quilt interesting from both sides. Just a suggestion...

I have decided to do some heavy duty quilting on this particular quilt and I find that it shows up better on solid fabric, rather than on a pattern. Hence the muslin back. And, hubby has said it needs to be larger....sigh....so I am back to cutting squares so I can make it another two blocks wider and longer. This way it will fit a queen sized bed, with a healthy drop on the sides. I figure what else so I have to do? LOL And I think it will make it more usable (maybe for my children, down the line) if it fits like a standard queen sized quilt.

OK, I don't care what hubby says, this is it. It's not going to be getting any larger....period. Although I am pleased with the final look. And, it can now go on a queen sized bed so it will be more useful. Now I must figure out what I want quilted in the large muslin sections. Hm....decisions, decisions.

evolution of a quilt-Double Irish Chain 001.JPG

evolution of a quilt-Double Irish Chain 002.JPG

Well, my plan was to fold it up and put it away and wait until next winter to start the quilting. But, I'm still sick with this upper respiratory thing (8 weeks now) and it's still cold, so.............. Geez, if'n it doesn't warm up soon, I'm going to have this darn thing done this season. Oh well, it gives me something to do and I'm not out spending money.

Well, my plan was to fold it up and put it away and wait until next winter to start the quilting. But, I'm still sick with this upper respiratory thing (8 weeks now) and it's still cold, so.............. Geez, if'n it doesn't warm up soon, I'm going to have this darn thing done this season. Oh well, it gives me something to do and I'm not out spending money.

Feel better soon!

Well, I've been sewing my fingers to the bone and (except for a quilt label) I am really done. This quilt is a wedding gift for my daughter, who will be getting married in September. I was terrified I wouldn't get done in time and so I really have been working quite hard.

Here is the finished project.

Now, here's my problem (one of many, LOL) I want to make a "special" label. I'm known for my corny "roses are red" poems so I thought I'd make the label something like this:

Handmade especially for Rachael and Russell Cross, by Shelley C. Stauffer - September 2014

Roses are red

Violets are blue

You're getting married

So, this quilt is for you.

It took a tons and tons of time,

Every stitch filled with love.

Because the two of you fit together

Like a hand and a glove.

In your many years together,

I hope you enjoy your quilt.

And when you're old and grey

Look back on the wonderful life you built.

All done 001.JPG

All done 002.JPG

All done 003.JPG

All done 004.JPG

All done 005.JPG

I've been going through all my left over pieces and cutting them into squares, everything from 2" to 5" for easy use. When I fill a shoe box with 2" squares I will be making a double irish chain quit for myself. Love yours.

Back