Donkey Terminology, and fun facts...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm...the only few things I can think of is Donks should never be trusted around your family dog. I have never had a problem before with any of my Donks...but Abbie has it out for Hope. She chases her Stomping at her....it scares me. We have to watch those two like hawks. I feel sorry for any dog that does get into the pasture...if they are not familiar with it...they will all chase it down.

OMG - Vernon HATES Jack our Fox terrier - but he tolerates Aspen our Golden ret...

several of our donkeys play with our dogs... but the dogs have learned to be careful and pay attention because when the donkeys are done playing, they get serious :new_shocked:

here is a good picture of why you DON'T want your donkeys to get a heavy crest, they can break over and once that happens they will stay this way - this is Savant our rescue donkey...

P5160140.jpg

she is losing weight but that crest will never stand back up :no:

now for my fun facts and tips:

donkeys will HUG you
default_wub.png
: that is my favorite thing.

and as said above, donkeys are not stubborn! they are just very cautious. that is my soapbox, i try to educate every time i hear someone say that donkeys (or mules for that matter) are stubborn - nope! it's that the PEOPLE are IMPATIENT
default_yes.gif
:

YES donkeys can breed through the fence and will try to breed much earlier than you might think, so get those boys gelded or separate them... and we learned the hard way that ONE FENCE is not enough between the boys and the girls, after losing Bonny who was bred as a yearling through the fence (NOT our idea and we thought we had everyone safely separated) our boys are now clear on the other side of the yard!

I have noticed that some times the girls are called jennets......so are they called jennets as babies and jennys as adults??? orrrr does it not mean anything ....
default_unsure.png
:

:bgrin Its the same, just depends upon who your talking to and what they call them. Kind of like BURRO and DONKEY, both mean the same animal, just depends upon the location from which your from.
default_yes.gif
: Dont you just love donkey terminology? :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin Ce

Good morning, Well in my search for my little ones, i have noticed some (babies) have a big pot belly!!
default_unsure.png
: is there a reason for this or is it just there confirmation... i only see it every now and then
default_unsure.png
: just curious... will it stay with them? :lol: julie

Julie, if a donkey has a big pot belly it could be worms, or it could be just a plain big old hay belly. A "worm belly" can be taken care of by carefully worming the donkey, you dont want to use anything really harsh, since he could have a bad worm overload in him, or if its a just a "hay belly" all you need to do is cut back on the hay. Ce

Julie, if a donkey has a big pot belly it could be worms, or it could be just a plain big old hay belly. A "worm belly" can be taken care of by carefully worming the donkey, you dont want to use anything really harsh, since he could have a bad worm overload in him, or if its a just a "hay belly" all you need to do is cut back on the hay. Ce
Those are very good reasons and points. Could it also be a flaw of sorts passed from generation to generation?

The reason I ask is that my "Ruby" (baby jennet) has a pot belly, but so does her mother. Gracie has nice conformation (so I'm told) and I also know that she has no "hangy-down" belly. I know the guy I am buying the little jennets from cares for them well, and keeps them wormed. And they all eat the same grass, etc.

Of course, they will both be loved the same
default_wub.png
: But I was just curious if someone has seen this before in mother/daughter, and if it might point to a more serious problem that I should worry about.
default_unsure.png
:

:no: Not sure if Max has a hay belly or not , he is quite round, like a barrel with legs, I am worried about his crest! Is there a belly measurement guide of some sort? He only gets 1/2 cup of grain a day because the horse and Emily get grain. He doesn't seem to have rolls but a thick neck and big sides.

Next question... I clean my quarter horses sheath, what about Max?? Does it get dirty like a horse?

Also do they need baths, mine are just pets, horse gets one bath a year, just before 4-H show.
default_wacko.png
:

Back