Donkey ferrier question from mini horse person.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
I know NOTHING of mini donkeys. We have mini horses. Anyway, I went to the doctor's office the other day, and assistant said that her neighbor had a mini donkey that had horrible hooves, and wouldn't stand for the ferrier. The neighbor called the vet and asked, if he could sedate her to have the hooves done. The jenny is pregnant, so the doctor declined the sedation. (Jenny is 37 inches and 400 lbs of MAD donkey.)

What can I tell her, except to ask here... But what does one do, when one suddenly has a pregnant donket that won't let anyone touch her? The assistant is ready to call some authorities or something, because the hooves are starting to curve...

Any advice folks?? I think I'm sticking with horses for now... Lol.. (Just love all the pictures of baby donkeys... )

God Bless,

TIA

Lynn W

Does this donekey stand for her at all? If she does she could tie the back leg up , just like they do for horses that dont stand for farrier work.., but being that the jenny is pregnant I would not suggest doing this if she is "wild" and will not stand just on a lead, then she just might throw herself. But I have been with my farrier when he has a hard to control donkey or horse and that is all he really does, tie the leg up and they stand. Corinne

When I let my farrier do Kilroy's feet, he takes a hay string and ties it around his nose for a twitch. He takes the upper lip and makes a loop with the string. He puts the loop around the lip and pulls it tight. Kilroy doesn't move an inch. He is too busy thinking about his lip. It works really well, doesn't hurt him (in reality
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) and we can get him trimmed in less than 20 minutes.

Well first off had the donkeys feet been kept up this wouldnt be a problem. If they are starting to curve then it tells me its been a long time since they were done.

Anyway, there should be no reason that they cant lightly sedate her. I had to do this in the past with one of my mares for other reasons. Yes she was preggers at the time and there was no issues with the resulting foal.

Well first off had the donkeys feet been kept up this wouldnt be a problem. If they are starting to curve then it tells me its been a long time since they were done.

Anyway, there should be no reason that they cant lightly sedate her. I had to do this in the past with one of my mares for other reasons. Yes she was preggers at the time and there was no issues with the resulting foal.
My thoughts too - though Priscilla HATES getting her feet done and takes 3x as long than anybody else - she is on an 8 week schedule but we manage and have to annoy her with a pinch on the lip...

Our vets sedated our jenny last year when she was 12 months pregnant for a palp (oh and they said there was no baby - hmmm then why 4 weeks later did she have one? Sorry that's another story
default_rolleyes.gif
: ....) she did fine with the sedation...

I was told that our Minnie used to have to be put in stocks (I think that is what they were called) narrow wooden things so she couldn't move and she was trimmed but now she is the best one I have - go figure...

Good luck

Hi there...I am very thankful that my donks are fairly well behaved. My trick is to give them grain while they are being trimed. I know it is a terrible habit
default_wink.png
: but it is done sweetly in no time
default_yes.gif
:

What needs to be done, is the owner needs to be able to handle the donkey all over.

Start working with her 3 to 4 times a day in very short sessions, always ending on a good note.

If the owner doesn't know how to gentle an animal out, find some one that does.

Nothing good is going to come of Man handling a donkey in any way. They will never forget and will fight harder each time someone comes near them.

It took me some time to get Ella to let me pick up and handle her feet. But I kept at it every day until she would. Now she could care less as she knows nothing bad is going to happen to her.

Latest posts

Back