"Don King" mane??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2ridesaddleseat

Reaction score
But I guess it's true! Smoochie, our 11 1/2 month old colt has got some WILD and POOFY hair! How do I make his mane look nice and get it to lay flat? Also, the bottom 1/3 of it lays on the opposite side of his neck. How do I correct that? We ADORE our boy, but I could never take him to a show looking like this!! He's not fully clipped here, I'm hoping to do his legs today. Any help is so appreciated!

DSC02846.jpg

Not sure how to help you with the mane but your boy is really nice! I love his coloring. I hope you get the answers to your question.

Does he have a thick mane? If he does, try clipping a bit off underneath so it will lay flay, not sure what to do about the poofyness though! Also, to get it to all lay on one side braid it on that side, eventually if you keep this up it will lay there naturally. I really like your boy! Can't wait to see him at NbarH!

Are you going to the one in May? It's my first show of the year, clipped Kassie today and oh boy, we have some work to do, she's chunkier than I thought!
default_laugh.png

Rebecca

To get a show-ready mane, you'll need to first thin it. I usually do what was already suggested and just carefully shave off some of the underside of the mane, maybe a third of the mane on a really thick one. Then wash, comb over the way you want it to lay and put a slinky over it. It should dry nice and flat, may take more than once to train it though. If he's out with other horses you will probably need to separate him so they don't make spaghetti of the slinky overnight or pull it down over his eyes.
default_wink.png

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to steal your thread, but any advice for thinning AFTER you have shaved a good bit on the top and underside off? I've done this and my guy still has a thick mane... It lays all on one side, its just not smooth and sleek, more thick and wirey.

DaddysJag, I need all the help I can get with manes! Thanks for far for your expertise and comments on my boy!

Yes, Rebecca! I will be at NbarH with him! It will be a learning year for me showing minis! I LOVE showing the big horses, I LOVE showing dogs, I CAN'T WAIT to learn how to show minis!!!

My mini has a horrible mane but using Healthy Hair (you mix it with water and put it in a spray bottle) conditions the hair and settles down the bushyness and makes it nice and silky. I also band it to keep it to one side. I use the slinky only if she is having the itchies. Her mane is now about a foot long and beautiful. I also use this on their tails, when sprayed at the base of the hair (tail bone or mane) it promotes growth. Has a really nice smell too. Her forlock looks just like yours, UNTIL I use the Healthy Hair and settle that down too. I do sometimes use gel, but I find that everything likes it, dust, dirt, etc, so my white mane looks dirty, so I use it only occasionally.

He is very pretty, could I offer some advise for the tail too. Put it in a tail sock. Take a tube sock, braid the tail and keep it in a sock. His tail will fill right in and be beautiful. Mine has not seen a day outside a sock except for when out to visits or to the shows and the comments I get on her tail are amazing. I usually have to trim 6" off the bottom after the winter season and then 1-2 inches every two months. Using the Healthy Hair has made it grow that fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nbark,

Do you have any more info on the Healthy Hair? Manufacture? Website? When I google it, of course, it pulls up 10,000 ways to get healthy hair! LOL! I'm all for trying anything that might work. I used the Fructise Super Stif this weekend from recommendations on here recently, and it worked so-so on the baby's forlock. I have used show sheen and the slinky overnight, but it only lasts a few hours, and the mane starts poofing up later in the day.

Nbark,Do you have any more info on the Healthy Hair? Manufacture? Website? When I google it, of course, it pulls up 10,000 ways to get healthy hair! LOL! I'm all for trying anything that might work. I used the Fructise Super Stif this weekend from recommendations on here recently, and it worked so-so on the baby's forlock. I have used show sheen and the slinky overnight, but it only lasts a few hours, and the mane starts poofing up later in the day.
I use Healthy Hair too, love it. www.healthyhaircare.com I mostly just use the Hair Moisturizer, but have tried the shampoo. I can't remember where I bought it, but have a 32 oz jug, it mixes with water (jug makes 2 gallons). Jeffers carries it (Country supply does not, nor does Valley Vet, at least I didn't find it in my catalogs).

I learned about healthy hair when I showed big horses a long while back. It's orange and costs about $10 or $11 for a bottle of concentrate. It works well on manes and tales, and it works great on the body. You know how they have that mousy look right after you clip, and the dry skin? Apply if daily and it'll be gone in no time.

Nbark,Do you have any more info on the Healthy Hair? Manufacture? Website? When I google it, of course, it pulls up 10,000 ways to get healthy hair! LOL! I'm all for trying anything that might work. I used the Fructise Super Stif this weekend from recommendations on here recently, and it worked so-so on the baby's forlock. I have used show sheen and the slinky overnight, but it only lasts a few hours, and the mane starts poofing up later in the day.

Schneiders has it in a big bottle, it is orangey pink in color. I usually get it at my local tack shop, but it works THE BEST. Keeps the hair tamed down and can be used on the body as well. My new mini had such bad dandruff it looked like a blizzard coming off of her when you touched her. I rubbed the healthy hair in with my hands, used a little elbow grease with a brush and she shined like a brand new penny.

Joyce,

Your colt looks nice even with the"Don King" hair! If you'd like you can come on up here and see a bunch of ours doing a very good "Tina Turner" impression!

Mark

well here at Lil Hoofbeats, we really like the "Don King" style do!!!!LOL!!!
default_laugh.png

No, No!! No Tina Turner/Don King look in the show ring!! I've never shown a mini before but I do know they don't have the "wild do" that my boy has!!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Now I'm trying to find the "healthy hair" that you are talking about. Is this the right one??

http://www.healthyhaircare.com/hairMoist.php

Thank you all!!

Joyce
Joyce, go to SStack (schnieders) they have it. You have to mix it with water and shake it all the time when using because it contains oil.

No, No!! No Tina Turner/Don King look in the show ring!! I've never shown a mini before but I do know they don't have the "wild do" that my boy has!!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Now I'm trying to find the "healthy hair" that you are talking about. Is this the right one??

http://www.healthyhaircare.com/hairMoist.php

Thank you all!!

Joyce
Yes, that is the product. In addition to Schnieders, KV Vet also has it: http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/product_family....91EE2B63E259024

And, Horse Health USA: http://www.horsehealthusa.com/details/Hair...izer/652-1.html

I'm sure there are others, but this will give you a couple options.

Latest posts

Back