Dog Food: Beneful?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I personally think dogs dont need the best dog food out there to do well. I think its more for there humans sake.

My aunt has two great pyrenees. The oldest is very pick on food, the only thing they found that she will eat is the Fleet Farm brand food. The other was a rescue dog so she will eat pretty much anything you will give her.

She of coarse is on a little spendier food now as she need glucosomine in her food.

That said she is very healthy, minus her arthritis and she is 13 years old. That is old for a GP. Granted she dont work at all anymore and sleeps most of the time but she has done a excellent job in her younger days and is allowed a good retirment until her time comes to go home.

Great Thread!!!

I've also worked for a vet and can't believe some of the stuff people will feed their dogs.

I get seriously ticked off when I see people leaving the store with giant bags of Bargain Hound
new_shocked.gif
unsure.gif

I have been feeding Pro Plan for years, and I love the stuff.....but if I wasn't on somewhat of a budget I admit I would be feeding an even higher end dog food.

So I've improvised........my dogs get Pro Plan Dry Food, and expensive organic wet food.

As for the Pro Plan, we pay $26 for a 40 pound bag of Extra Care Sensitive Skin & Stomach formula. My 3 dogs eat surprisingly little amounts of this food, maintain their weights perfectly, and always look healthy and shiney with no grooming.

My 65 pound EXTREMELY ACTIVE, 3-Legged Treeing Walker Coonhound, gets 1-1/4 cups twice a day.

My 60 pound ACTIVE German Shepherd/Border Collie Cross, also gets 1-1/4 cups twice a day, she is now 8 years old and has been on this same amount and same type of food for 5 years and her weight only fluctuates by a pound.

My 35 pound Basenji, who is also extremely active, and a picky eater with a sensitive stomach, gets 3/4 cup twice a day.

I only feed wet food at night and I split One can between the 3 dogs. I use either Wellness or Wysong. My dogs LOVE the Wellness wet foods.

I just picked up a brochure and samples from my local health food store for a dog food called Kumpi. I'm researching it right now and it seems pretty darn good, but I probably won't be switching because it's REALLY expensive. This food is what all the search and rescue dogs are now being fed, or at least that's what all the information says. Here's the website Kumpi Food

Last edited by a moderator:
yes.gif
yes.gif
I fed Waynes for over 20 years the dog lived to 24. Had to buy it at a feed store. It was reomended by my then vet who was also master of the hounds at the local hunt club. It's sml chunk but the last few years I had to soak it because he only had his 4 canines left.

Marty said:
I feed dry dog food and canned dog food.
My dogs hate dry food and I've had a lot of different brands in here over the years.  You name it, I've tried them all. They will let it sit and only eat it out of pure despiration. I have to mix it with the canned food and they will still eat the canned food and leave the dry.

The other day I bought a large bag of Beneful and decided what the heck, let's try this stuff. I'm amazed. They are eating the heck out of it. This is the first time they have gobbled down dry dog food. 
new_shocked.gif
I've fed it the last two days without having to mix canned food with it too. 
ohmy.gif
Does anyone else use this stuff?

474530[/snapback]

*I did a quick search and found a site that does give some breed health concerns, even lists that Bulldogs as having "an active digestive system and may be offensive to people with sensitive noses."  *
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/
This is a great site!!! I am saving it in my favorites, wonderful information on each breed.

Latest posts

Back