Does this bother you??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
Is it just me or does it bother you when someone prices their animals higher because of feed/hoof trimming/shots/worming, etc.

I feel this is part of normal care and should not be thought of when you sell your animal/horse.

For example: I was interested in a young equine and in May they wanted X amount of dollars, then they decide in Nov. they want $300 over that............No special training, and it is not bred.

I said what happened to X amount in May and they stated they have so much in hoof trimming, worming, shots, etc. That now they think she is worth more.....

WOW!!!
new_shocked.gif

I think I will pass! If I added care, shots, etc. on to my animals/horses/donkeys no one would ever be able to afford them. Why not charge for feed that they have eaten since they bought them and have been in their care too!
wacko.gif

Ok can you tell I am a little bit peeved over it!LOL

The sad thing is I really wanted this animal, but I think it is ridiculous!

We have a couple of horses for sale. We lowered the price temporarily but if we keep them through the winter we may raise the price back up... Also if they don't sell we will be showing them both then sell....... A lot of breeders lower prices for quick sales............. Perhaps the owner does not really want to sell the horse...... If they do you may hear back from them that you can have it for the original asking price (if it does not sell).............. Added - Really doesn't matter that the price has been changed if you think the horse is worth the price - if not let the seller know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
KsCowgirl said:
Is it just me or does it bother you when someone prices their animals higher because of feed/hoof trimming/shots/worming, etc.
IThe sad thing is I really wanted this animal, but I think it is ridiculous!

497206[/snapback]

It is the seller's perrogative to ask whatever they like for a horse. And it doesn't matter what the reasons are. It's their horse!

Perhaps you could let them know that you will buy the horse for the asking price in spring if the horse does not sell for what they want. Getting angry over what someone wants to sell a horse for is just a big waste of negative energy. Make the offer and give it until a certain date. You may be surprized.

l don't think a 300 buck increase is all that much in a 6 month period like you said.

After all nothing is free no matter how you look at it shots hoofs worming stuff whatever needs to be paid and usually a lot of time and love put in by the owner goes for nothing anyway.
biggrin.gif

I don't have a problem with the price increase, just the reason. You can't expect to get the cost of upkeep back. But after 6 months unless they really don't want to sell, I would probably be lowering the price instead of raising it with winter coming. But again, they have the right to price their horse any way they want to.

Now let me ask you this. Have you bought this horse and already signed a contract and you haven't picked up this horse yet? Have the people said that they will charge you for boarding if the horse is not picked up any certain time? Or is this just a horse you asked about eariler in the year, and now you are interested again and they raised the price?

If you haven't bought the horse and there was no contract made than I see what the big deal is in raising the prices. For 6 months of basic work can add up. Now do I see $300?, no, but the seller has any right for changing the price.

Now do I see that you should charge extra for basic stuff like that, no, but some people do.

[SIZE=14pt]I have change the price of a horse a few times because of how the horse is maturing. If I have a weanling on my sale page that is say 5 months old and by the end of that year it looks better or shows more promise, I would increase the price. a few months in a young horse make a lot of difference. Also if I offered a horse at a discounted price for a few months and it didnt sell, I have put it back to the orriginal price but not because of feed, vet and farrier....just because the horse was worth it.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Just my 2 cents....

An owner has every right to change pricing or remove listed horses for sale at any time if they want - if it's not already sold in a contract. Therefore a person can have a $500 horse and suddenly up his price to $5,000.00 for perfectly no reason...it's their horse! BUT this decision could very well mean the horse is stuck on their property and their responsibility for years to come, because people know it was originally being sold for a measly $500. I would personally write the owner a letter letting them know you are still interested in purchasing the horse for X amount of dollars that you two had originally been discussing...if the time comes that the owner feels they can let the horse go for that price, they'll definately still have you in mind!

I also don't believe that basic care i.e.: hoof, worming, etc. is an excuse for upping the price. A logical reason to me would be "we got him trained to drive!"

BUT also you have to think of it, in your honest opinion do you really like the horse? If so, $300 isn't that much...suffer the consequenses and bring the cutie pie home!

jmho

Prices are subject to change.

Occasionally, if I have a pressing bill, I will drop the cost a lot. If I am able to pay off the bill, I may change the priceback to higher again.

. Sometimes I really don't want to sell a horse, so I will price that horse high enough, so that as a dear friend once said... " so I won't get hysterical crying when the horse goes down the driveway.

One time I looked at a filly's bite when the buyer was there. It had been perfect and then went off , as I noted that day by just a smidge, so I lowered the price. The buyer went away, and came back 8 months later. Filly's bite was perfect again, but I did give her the same price... I guess that was dumb.

Seller's perogative.

I wouldn't change a price a couple weeks later or if someone gave a deposit, certainly not!

I have changed prices on a horse that I had for sale "because she was trained to drive".. But to try to get farrier, and maintainence costs back, for me would have been wishful thinking, but not realistic. If the seller wants to sell the horse, the price should be based on the merit of the horse, IMO, and not its uppkeep.

minimomNC said:
I don't have a problem with the price increase,  just the reason.  You can't expect to get the cost of upkeep back.  But after 6 months unless they really don't want to sell,  I would probably be lowering the price instead of raising it with winter coming.  But again,  they have the right to price their horse any way they want to.
497231[/snapback]

I had inquired on her in the spring, she was consigned to a sale and they never brought her, I kept in touch and told them I would be interested in her if they decided to sell her, they gave me their price of what they would want for her.....Then I was emailing the other day and they said they had decided to sell her, the price has now went up $300 she is a 2 year old, never been shown, and is not registered, I was looking at hardshipping, so I was figuring in what I would buy her for because of that. They have not done anything with her other than "normal care" that is why the increase of $300 is crazy to me.

Sunraye Miniatures said:
Now let me ask you this. Have you bought this horse and already signed a contract and you haven't picked up this horse yet? Have the people said that they will charge you for boarding if the horse is not picked up any certain time? Or is this just a horse you asked about eariler in the year, and now you are interested again and they raised the price?
If you haven't bought the horse and there was no contract made than I see what the big deal is in raising the prices. For 6 months of basic work can add up. Now do I see $300?, no, but the seller has any right for changing the price.

Now do I see that you should charge extra for basic stuff like that, no, but some people do.

497233[/snapback]

Sorry my last post was directed to this question!

Edited to say: OH if it would have been I trained this horse to do this, or something with training or anything like that I would have no problem......It is the statement of well I have so much in shots/worming/trimming hooves every two months, that got me, I mean I figure that is just part of caring & owning horses. I have never tried to add those expenses to the cost of my horses......

Yes a seller has a right to increase prices, but I feel there should be a reason like training, if it has been bred, shown, anything, but for care reasons....sorry that is why I am shocked.

I have told them if they happen to decide to take the original quoted price i WOULD DEFINATELY WANT HER.....But I am looking at putting alot of $$ into her for inspection & registration, that is why I won't give the X-tra $300

I have been known to change my prices (up or down) for various reasons. In fact, early this year I had injured my back and I had too many horses in the barn.

I am the one in my family that cleans stalls, feeds, etc.

I knew I was not going to be able to handle that many in the barn…..so I made a extremely reasonable package deal on 3 fillies.

I have also raised the price on horses, (like someone else said…depending on how they are maturing)

Now, on the other hand, I have also paid more than the owners’ original asking price on a couple of horses that I bought.

But I had speculated and waited……then when I finally decided to buy, their prices had gone up..

The bottom line was, they were horses that I really wanted and I figured that it was my own fault that I didn’t buy them when I first had the chance LOL

I also didn’t bother to ask why they raised their prices…I didn’t care, I wanted them.
rolleyes.gif

Well I have lowered the price for a quick sale because of coming close to needing all those extras. So If I had them done then the price would have been higher. So what is the difference then?

It doesn't bother me. It is the seller's perogative to change a price at any time they wish, and for any reason or no reason at all. That's just horse business.

If you are willing to pay the new price then go for it....otherwise I wouldn't waste energy over the deal and I'd just move on in my search.

KsCowgirl said:
I feel this is part of normal care and should not be thought of when you sell your animal/horse.

For example:  I was interested in a young equine and in May they wanted X amount of dollars, then they decide in Nov. they want $300 over that............No special training, and it is not bred.

I said what happened to X amount in May and they stated they have so much in hoof trimming, worming, shots, etc.  That now they think she is worth more.....

WOW!!!
new_shocked.gif

I think I will pass!  If I added care, shots, etc. on to my animals/horses/donkeys no one would ever be able to afford them.  Why not charge for feed that they have eaten since they bought them and have been in their care too!
wacko.gif

Ok can you tell I am a little bit peeved over it!LOL

The sad thing is I really wanted this animal, but I think it is ridiculous!

497206[/snapback]

Sounds to me like sour grapes. If you liked the horse then, you should have bought it then. You snooze, you lose.

A more mature horse is often worth more. If you are in a business, you need to cover expenses.

Quit whining. If you don't like the price, ignore it and go away. You can't demand that someone sell a horse at the price you want. It appears you really want this horse, but want it on your terms.

More than likely, if this horse is not registered ,and will require hardshipping, the owners will consider your offer to pay the origional price, if you make it. This is really a buyers market, especially for the unregistered.
yes.gif

I guess I was just shocked at the price increase, and with the reason given was for shots, farrier and worming expenses......

I would have bought her when they said the original price, but they didn't want to sell her till now, they had just stated that they wanted to keep her back for a companion to one they were weaning, but stated the would probably want X amount for her..... So I checked back to see if they were ready to sell, that's when they said yes and went up $300!!!

Yes it is their right to ask what they want, but I wouldn't have inquired back if I had new they planned on increasing her price, as stated before due to inspection & hardshipping costs, I will not pay what they are now asking.

SO I said if they ever decided to take the first quoted price to let me know, and left it at that.

I am over it! Just posted at the time I had gotten the 2nd price and couldn't beleive the reason.
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back