Doctor's buggy in R show?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
We recently purchased a mini-sized replica doctor's buggy. It has four wooden wheels, a single seat, with space behind for the doctor's bag. Solid black. Would this be appropriate for single draft harness? Should we wear period appropriate (1800's) clothing? It is just darling and will be pulled by either a black or black and white pinto mare!

We show draft every year and pages 264 and 265 in the amhr rule book says it must be a suitable 4 wheel vehicle except that a cart may be used for single or tandam. You must use heavy draft harness. So yes you can show in the Doctors buggy for draft. Welcome to the draft harness world, it is a lot of fun, especially when you hitch up two or more.

Danny

I haven't shown in R shows, so what I am saying may be all wrong. But, I don't think that, technically, a doctor's type buggy is considered a vehicle that would use draft harness. Draft harness is more appropriate for a wagon style vehicle. A doctor's buggy is more of a light harness type thing.

That's not to say that you couldn't show with draft harness, but I don't think it is really the 'right' type of harness for that vehicle.

I have several styles of buggies and wagons. I use the light harness on the buggies, and heavy harness on the wagons.

My friend shows single in a Drs. Buggy. She uses a fine harness mostly. That is fr our Local shows and parades though. It certainly draws alot of attention and is stunning!

We have shown with a Doctors buggy but you have to be careful if the judge asks you to swing, its easy to get a wheel into the box. don't let that stop you though. Hal

Hi Tiff,

It is going to be a while before we hit the ring. The mare is in training with Wayne Shutti in Madison now. , Summer Dream on More Lovely Mares on my website. When she finishes, her dam, Forever in Blu Dreams, will go into training. Summer and I will do drill team this summer. Hoping to drive her in the Boone County Fair in August, but might be in regular show cart. Hopefully, by Horsefest next year one of them will be pulling the doctor's buggy. I'm putting together a real authentic outfit for my honey, including a hand-bar mustache!There is this incredible store in Iowa that specializes in 1800's clothing! Hoping to drive buggy at HAMES show next year.

Oh my gosh Wendy! Where are you going to be showing? I would love to see that!

I will post a picture of it, when it is delivered, about a week from now. What is the differance between a small one seated wagon and a doctor's buggy? Thank you!

I haven't shown in R shows, so what I am saying may be all wrong. But, I don't think that, technically, a doctor's type buggy is considered a vehicle that would use draft harness. Draft harness is more appropriate for a wagon style vehicle. A doctor's buggy is more of a light harness type thing.
That's not to say that you couldn't show with draft harness, but I don't think it is really the 'right' type of harness for that vehicle.

I have several styles of buggies and wagons. I use the light harness on the buggies, and heavy harness on the wagons.

Thank you, Danny! We are hoping the two mares might eventually be a team, but they and we need to get a lot of experience!

We show draft every year and pages 264 and 265 in the amhr rule book says it must be a suitable 4 wheel vehicle except that a cart may be used for single or tandam. You must use heavy draft harness. So yes you can show in the Doctors buggy for draft. Welcome to the draft harness world, it is a lot of fun, especially when you hitch up two or more.
Danny

Like these

clip_image002_0011.gif

clip_image002_0010.gif

clip_image002_0005.gif

How beautiful! My buggy does not have a top and the wheels are all the same size. It is too small to hitch a team to. It does have the front dash. Maybe it is a small wagon?What class are you shown winning in? Absolutely stunning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy,

Sounds like your new "ride" could be a "Run About" pleasure carriage, and it can also be called a Doctor's carriage without the top. Another name could also be a "Piano Box" carriage.

There is a wonderful website that you can to to and take a look at the different pictures of the carriages. At the top of the website if you will just type in "Run About" it will pull of those that are in that catagory.

www.colonialcarriage.com

Karen

Good luck & have fun.

AL -- as usual it is stunning just to see your carriages.

I am still patiently waiting to meet you in person. One of these years !!LOL -- love your buggies & outfits.

According to the Carriage Association of America's Carriage & Harness Identification Manual, a Doctor's Buggy has a top that has full, closed in sides and back with maybe little windows. This was to keep the Dr. out of the elements. It has four wheels, a straight "piano" type box, and a dash.

A Top Buggy has an open-sided top. Technically, anything called a "buggy" has a top.

A vehicle with no top and four wheels could be a Runabout, a Road Wagon, a Speeding Wagon, or any other combination of names that the original builder applied to it. This is a Runabout that we built. (It is also my husband and our horse!
default_biggrin.png
)

VLCC_-_2007_-_s_133resize.jpg

If that vehicle had a top, it would be an End-spring Buggy because of the position of the leaf springs on the front and back of the box.

It is pretty typical for people to call a four-wheeled vehicle a "Doctor's Buggy", but unless it looks like what I have described above, it is incorrect.

Hope this helps!

Myrna

Latest posts

Back