Do you think folks are spending less time here now?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get on the forum nearly as much as I would like to and I do miss being here and being involved in discussions. When we first started getting out of "big horses" and we were becoming interested in minis and ponies I spent a LOT of time here asking questions and researching old posts for information. I learned SO MUCH here and we got off to a great start with our minis and I know the forum was very helpful. I still come here to read and learn I just have less time to do it so you will not find me posting much. I haven't lost interest and I think if anything the forum has become more interesting and has more features than when I first joined.

One thing that has been VERY helpful to me since I haven't been online as much is that my husband is just as involved and interested in our minis and ponies as the rest of the family and he usually gets on the forum at least once a day to see what's going on and what the hot topics are. I know that if there is something that might be important or of interest to us that he will catch it and fill me in. I love that because it is like getting the Cliff Notes version of the forum. He is even busier than me because he works so much but when he is working he will occasionally be waiting around have time to kill and will go online and check the forum and let me know if there is something he thinks I should see.

Another thing taking up a lot more of my time these days is we also started homeschooling our five children last year and since my husband works a lot that becomes my responsibility. I love doing it and that we get to spend so much time together as a family but it is very time consuming. I was hesitant about it at first but all of our kids wanted to do it so we decided to do it for part of the school year last year and see how it went and everybody wanted to continue doing it this year. This fall our 15 year old Samantha who is a terrific writer already and had a plan to get into broadcast journalism after high school and college was hired this year and is now under contract to Fox Sports North as a teen journalist writing feature stories and doing on-camera interviews of outstanding teen athletes. I am her designated driver and chaperone and working for FOX was a huge opportunity for her and the beginning of many doors opening so I am very supportive of making that work for her.

We also have a LOT more minis than we used to and a larger show string since our whole family shows and since I am home the most I am in charge of a large portion of their care and needs. The kids help and do chores but I am always involved. This year we will have more ponies too and so far I think they take more time and are a little bit more high maintenance than minis.

OH....................and while I am thinking about how busy I always seem to be and how I am not on the forum as much anymore..............there is also housework, laundry, doctor appointments, kids activities...................

I have a sick child today and another not feeling well so I let them all sleep in which gave me a little chunk of free time and that is how I ended up here today. After writing this post though I am feeling like I need to get OFF the computer and get back to work. I just never have enough hours in the day for everything I want to do!

Wow, I've just waded through 13 pages of this thread!
default_smile.png
Many good points made, many I agree with.

Winter time may seem like the time when people would have more time on the computer, but for me it doesn't work that way. Winter, especially this winter when we have so much snow and recently some really cold weather, makes my chores take longer. I have to haul warm water out to the horses, horses are in their sheds more so cleaning takes longer, feeding takes longer, especially when I'm having to wrestle with round bales as I am this year....so I'm on the computer less. When I am on, I tend to read but not post so often.
Amen to this one!

To be honest, sometimes I would post more but I read through the responses and think 'why bother'. Recently I've seen a couple posts that gave really poor--actually wrong--advice, but I'm tired, I'm short on time, and I just don't bother posting a better answer
I will add to this, that many times I read a post and just see no point in being the 15th person to say "yes good idea" or whatever. A like button will come in handy there. I've been here a long time, since near the beginning, and have gotten a tremendous amount from LB. I've also seen the same threads many times as newcomers join in, and feel like there are lots of folks now qualified to answer their questions. If a thread hasn't been answered many times I will comment, but if it's all been said I usually don't. If I have a question or an issue I need feedback on, this is still the first place I come for help or support.
default_smile.png

Political threads? I read them if it sounds interesting, I close them if I don't like it...no big deal.

Overmoderated? Maybe so...I know you all have to walk a fine line, but it feels a little friendlier if we aren't getting our keyboards slapped for what seem to be pretty minor infractions.

All in all, it's still a pretty good place to come hang out & find out what's going on in the miniature world. Life just seems to have gotten busier over the years.

Jan

Please do not bring back political posts. I saw sides of people I never wanted to see. I really hope that doesnt come back. I think they did so much damage here and that is when so many left.

I do know several other people that have been warned about the whole "sell" thing and I do think that it is over moderated. For many of us this is what we do. Buy, show, train and sell horses. It can be hard to write posts when your being so careful not to ever say "sell"

Seems like lately every post has the "edited by mod" sign.

But I strongly agree with not letting posts attacking someone stay. As said the problem is you usually only get one side of the story. Its just really unfair. Once you get both sides the truth is usually in the middle.

And I think people have no idea how real the threat of lawsuits is. Even if you know you will win to defend yourself is very stressful and expensive.
I agree with Kay Kay...This is one of the reasons I no longer post.. Some people could say the most rude things and get away with it..

Others would get the NOTICE for getting ticked off in their replies.

Where I think the political threads went wrong in the past was when some members (there were just a handful) made their remarks personal with things like name calling. It's one thing to state an opinion about a situation or political individual that others may not agree with, but it's another thing to turn that disagreement over an issue or politician into personal attacks and name calling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where I think the political threads went wrong in the past was when some members (there were just a handful) made their remarks personal with things like name calling. It's one thing to state an opinion about a situation or political individual that others may not agree with, but it's another thing to turn that disagreement over an issue or politician into personal attacks and name calling.
I am not a political person. I believe all politicians are cut from the same cloth with different names..and who ever pays

to get them into POWER rules the roost..

I also believe that Canadians have just as much right to an opinion as anyone

else when it comes to this forum.. A member is a member.. I did not see any name calling... just a lot of disrespect for other

forum members..

I am not a political person. I believe all politicians are cut from the same cloth with different names..and who ever pays

to get them into POWER rules the roost..

I also believe that Canadians have just as much right to an opinion as anyone

else when it comes to this forum.. A member is a member.. I did not see any name calling... just a lot of disrespect for other

forum members..
McBunz, I agree with much of what you've said including that Canadians have just as much right to an opinion as anyone else. Absolutely true! Likewise, I have the right to the opinion that I personally have zero interest in the Canadian perspective on US politics. Anyone is free to post on whatever threads they'd like, and every single day, other members decide what threads they want to look at, and who's posts they want to read and / or take into consideration. If a Canadian member posted that she/he is not interested in the American perspective on Canadian politics (or any other issue that is at its heart a Canadian matter), it wouldn't even remotely offend me.

Glad you posted this White Tail.

I've had this conversation with at least five+ people the past few months on how LB has become too over-moderated, and all of them stated they visit, but rarely post for that reason. I agree with that. I've been on LB since 1999/2000, and the exchange of information/ideas and healthy debate is just not what it use to be. I know I don't frequent LB like I use as frankly I find it a bit insipid and boring. Conversations that would be posted in the a.m. use to be on page 3-4 by night, now they sit for days. I've always appreciated LB as a place to go daily to share my love of all things Mini related and have learned tons. But haven't felt that way for at least a year. FB, other equine sites and the yahoo groups are unmoderated and many people use those as there isn't the fear a well thought out response to an honest question will be edited or plain disappear. I've started responses numerous times, only to delete or close the site as I figure it will get removed/edited.

I know there are many new people to the breed (yeah!), but why they don't do a bit of research before asking the same questions that have been asked for the umpteenth time in the past two months is beyond me? I won't respond to those as it's pointless, IMHO. They're unwilling to make any effort to educate themselves, so I'm not wasting my time to respond, plain and simple. Time as we all know is a precious commodity. I do feel bad they may not be getting the information they need, or often the wrong information, but if I wanted to ask about homozygous tobianos as an example, I would have researched it online, forum, websites - then I would ask 'hey I read xxx, is this right?. Responsibility is a key and people need to monitor their own behavior. And I don't mean I'm having a problem or what do I do about..., but the topics, what should I feed my Mini? (not how to I get a better topline/less belly...) or my Mini is sick what should I do? (not he's doing xyz and the vet said...) It shocks me, and I don't want to give a flippant response so just don't answer.

I do believe the mods have a difficult job, (one I would not want), but in all honesty if you're going to post on the a public forum, the people frequenting the site need to have the ability to take the criticism and disagreement from others. I may not like it if someone disagrees with me, but I do give ANYONE the right to their opinion. As many of us are, I'm on a variety of different forums for different activities in my life. Some can be downright evil in their responses, but I'd rather have that, than a lukewarm 'aren't we all happy and love blue eyed kittens', as it's just false. I would rather have someone disagree with me, send me a mail or contact me, than whine to the mods and have a post removed (mine or theirs). We all want to be liked, but not everyone will like you or agree with you. That's life deal with it.

RE: political postings. When the Back Porch was first started it was for all 'non-horse' threads - so political should be allowed and if you disagree with someone's political, religious or whatever beliefs DON'T READ THEIR THREADS! I will say in all honesty though I've very infrequently posted on the Back Porch, I don't have the time. I read alot of what Jill posts on FB as I don't always agree with her posts, but I do value her opinion as she is very passionate and knowledgeable on the topic and I have learned a few things.

RE: Sales postings on the forum. The mentioning of 'I think I may sell Sparky' or 'I decided to keep Blaze and not sell him', shouldn't get banned or removed. That is "I want an opinion or what should I do", versus "here's my sales list with 46 photos pitch". Everyone's signature block has a link to their website - if you want to see what they have for sale it's a click away, but the forum shouldn't be used as a sales board. Opinions or information gathering, sharing of ideas, learning and education, yes - not a sales board.

MaryLou you have a difficult row to hoe, so to speak. I don't envy you and the mods trying to forge a middle path, but less editing/deleting, more /ignore the whiners might help. : )

Changes I'd love to see:

•  
  • People not getting banned UNLESS they've flat out attacked someone or their ranch, or flagrantly disregard the forum rules.
  • Patrons of LB, GROW UP! If you don't like someone's post don't read it. If you don't like someone disagreeing with you don't post. If you can't take the critique of your horse, breeding program, feeding, whatever - then don't ask for opinions.
  • No like button. This isn't FB. Maybe an 'agree' so we don't have two pages of me too, but like is too 'I agree with the whole topic' IMHO.

Sales Board:

•  
  • Loading photos from a HD.
  • Renew Ad feature would be wonderful and a time saver! I'd probably post more on the sale board too

McBunz, I agree with much of what you've said including that Canadians have just as much right to an opinion as anyone else. Absolutely true! Likewise, I have the right to the opinion that I personally have zero interest in the Canadian perspective on US politics. Anyone is free to post on whatever threads they'd like, and every single day, other members decide what threads they want to look at, and who's posts they want to read and / or take into consideration. If a Canadian member posted that she/he is not interested in the American perspective on Canadian politics (or any other issue that is at its heart a Canadian matter), it wouldn't even remotely offend me.
Everyone has the right not to read posts from non Americans..but saying "i] have zero interest in the Canadian perspective on US politics.." Disrespect is another matter..

I believe the best you can expect from your elected officials is enough brain cells not to offend other nations or embarrass your own

country. YOU Bet Yah The rest is money talking and power grabs within the nation to aid their supporters.

McBunz, I'm sorry you're offended that I, as an American citizen, have zero personal interest in the Canadian perspective on US politics. Still, it remains the case that I feel this way, it isn't breaking news, it's not an unreasonable point of view, and it's also not a rare point of view.

Since you know that's my opinion and there's a chance you may be offended by other opinions of mine with which you don't agree, maybe you should implement a zero interest policy regarding my perspective on all things? Or maybe there's still the ability to create ignore lists on LB?

McBunz, I'm sorry you're offended that I, as an American citizen, have zero personal interest in the Canadian perspective on US politics. Still, it remains the case that I feel this way, it isn't breaking news, it's not an unreasonable point of view, and it's also not a rare point of view.

Since you know that's my opinion and there's a chance you may be offended by other opinions of mine with which you don't agree, maybe you should implement a zero interest policy regarding my perspective on all things? Or maybe there's still the ability to create ignore lists on LB?
Well maybe ML can put our country of origin next to our names..Maybe our color,political leanings, religion and a few other facts. Then some people would know who's posts they should not bother to read...

McBunz, I really am sorry you are so bent out of shape and seem to be taking this restricted interest from me personally.

It's this one issue (US Politics) that I see as specific to the USA about which my personal interest when it comes to online discussions is restricted to what other Americans think.

Some other LB members may be on the edge of their seats wanting to know what most of members from other Nations think about US Politics and they can have a field day with it as far as I'm concerned. But for me, I will not be interested in long discussions about why I think this instead of that with people who don't know what it's like to be an American (just as I don't know what it's like to be a Canadian) and cannot have an insider's perspective.

Truly, how interested would most Canadian members be in what most American members think in terms of who they should put into office, how they should run their healthcare system and other social programs, how their country should handle issues of national security, ETC.?

Again, I can't make you feel any differently than you choose to feel, but at least hear that I value "all people's" perspectives on honestly any other important topic. But for my online discussions about US Politics, my interest is limited to other US citizens.

okay, so after wading through 14 pages of comments, I do have one new comment. Everyone is talking about tolerance, understanding others who post, etc. etc. How about that same tolerance with the moderators? Are we so sensitive anymore that if we are moderated in a forum, or a moderator thinks we posted a sale, that our feelings are so hurt we no longer participate in the community? Seriously?

I agree that we all need to be tolerant of other's opinions, but to some degree, we all just need to get over it when we think we've been "wronged" - especially when the wrong is as minor as being moderated or having our hands slapped on a public forum. . .

I've been thinking.......

OH OH!
default_laugh.png

I've been here 10 years and I've pretty much seen it all. Fast times, slow times etc.

I've enjoyed the fast, exciting, interesting times. I've been a bit *sigh* over the slow times when there was no new interesting topics.

I've seen it a lot of times on this thread how people got bored and left during the slow times.

Whose fault is that???

WE are ALL members of LB! This is our forum! And IT IS WHAT WE MAKE IT!!!

So, if you're BORED, DO something!! Why should it be up to someone else to make it interesting? When it's slow, finally post that topic question. Or find something interesting to talk about.

I'm including MYSELF in this too. If you're sitting back being bored, you shouldn't blame everyone else! Because you're here being boring too!
default_yes.gif

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well, if you're NEW to minis, new to the forum or even new on line, how do you expect people to know HOW to do searches and know where the info pages are right off the bat??? Why blame new people for asking the same questions? THEY don't know they're the same questions.

SO!!!

Why can't there be a link to a NEW TO THE FORUM INTRO page??? Or a forum that they could intro themselves. There could be pinned topics. A link to the rules page. A link to the LB info pages. Info telling them where to find the sale board and how to search topics etc.

Well, Jill is most certainly welcome to her opinion, though I suspect she would be a little more interested in what Canadians have to say about things government if some of them didn't praise the Canadian health care system. She isn't interested in what "we" have to say about US politics because we don't know anything about US politics and have no official say in US politics and so we don't matter. I find it interesting, though, to note that in the past she has claimed to know so much about our Canadian health care system....a system that she has never used and so has no personal experience with. Funny how that works. And no, I'm not in any way attacking Jill over this; she is most welcome to believe what she likes about the subject and even say what she likes about it, just so long as she realizes that we really aren't interested in what she thinks or has to say about it.

I do have to say that no everyone in the US shares Jills views on politics and who is worthy of entering into a political discussion with, just as there are many Canadians who are interested in hearing what Americans think/have to say about Canadian politics. I think some of the most interesting discussions I've been a part of have been in a group of Americans and Canadians combined, discussing US and Canadian politics, sharing views and opinions. I find it very interesting to hear what Americans think of Canadian politics/politicians and certainly there are plenty of Americans who are extremely interested in hearing the Canadian perspective on US politics!

Politics....people here are talking about the US proposal to remove the exemption on Canadians paying the 'entry fee' or processing fee or whatever it's called whenever entering the US on public transport. Now there's a US politics thing that does affect Canadians directly. I guess Canadians don't matter unless they can be made to cough up some money to help finance the US federal debt?
default_wink.png

Robin, I think that would be a great idea!!! I wonder if there could / should also be an INTRO Forum? A lot of message boards I see have a sepearate "WELCOME" board and some members (including me) make a point of going there to welcome new members. If that separate spot here goes into effect, maybe it could it be set up so those new people can upload some pictures from their computers if they want, vs. having to have them already hosted online? A lot of new people don't know how to show us pictures, but if they could just pick them from their harddrive, I bet it would be easier. I was thinking if they can show us their horses, themselves, their farm, whatever they want (assuming they want to show us pictures) it might "bond" them more to us through being able to more fully share with LB? It might seem like a small thing, but I think it would help them feel more at home if in addition to saying welcome, we could also say things about "oh, your mini is so pretty", "I love your barn", etc. It might seem like a small thing to us who are used to showing our friends here things in our lives through pictures, but I think it could be a big thing for a new person and make them feel more at home and understood
default_smile.png

Minimor, I like you a lot but we've been there done that on this very thread. You really shouldn't put your own assumptions of why / what I think on me as my own but "whatever". Anyone who cares to have insight into that opinion of mine can already read it here in other posts. Some people probably even agree with the opinion, but the main thing for me is that I agree with it and I've been in charge of forming opinions for forty something years. I've held this opinion for a long time and it's not something I haven't thought through
default_yes.gif

OK not sure why Jill and Minimor are debating politics?

I thought this topic was

Notice how topics get changed by some.

I think this is an example of why things get removed, locked, or the person that started the topic would like it removed.

Reble, if you read all the posts you would see how one thing ties into the other on this topic! We haven't changed the subject, rather just exploring a different portion of it after politics was given as a reason why some might be on here so much, and then ML said political discussions are allowed again....our posts truly are still very much a part of 'why some may not be on here as much' !

OK not sure why Jill and Minimor are debating politics?

I thought this topic was

Notice how topics get changed by some.

I think this is an example of why things get removed, locked, or the person that started the topic would like it removed.
It changed because someone thought the lack of political debate caused some people not to post..but if only one person is

suppose to decide who can or can not reply to these posts.. a separate political forum in that persons name might be a good

idea..and then the rest of us riff raff will know that posting replies in a no no..

I agree face book has slowed down a lot of forums..Not that it is better.. just different..I am not a big fan of face book..

To many people posting their life stories daily along with hundreds of pictures of themselves..looks like a meat market of

love sick teenagers..

McBunz, I guess I won't even try to confuse you with any of what's actually been said. The frustration of trying to "confuse" a person with the actual facts has run its course for me on the subject to which you are (inaccurately) referring.

Rebel, there is an ongoing discussion about political discussions on LB. I think some of the of members have tried to discuss actual politics, vs. the allowance of political threads on LB, but I've not personally had much interest in those parts of their posts
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back