Do you think folks are spending less time here now?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the stats of this forum and when facebook took off in popularity, it was clear the forums here started to slow down.. I am also not a fan of facebook because I do not have much time to play on it.. The LB web site and Forums were integrated into Facebook for business reasons and getting new people interested into Miniature Horses..

Oh see, I'd have clicked the LIKE botton for your post there, ML (teasing you a bit)
default_wub.png

I don't know how other members like to use their FB accounts, but one "handy" thing people can do if they like is share a thread from LB over to their FB pages. I've done that with a few, and I'm sure as time goes on, will do so again. I thought it would be a good way to maybe remind people who used to spend more time here that it's still a great place to be an active part of!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly the reason many people don't post anymore...this topic has gone off course again. The original topic started with a simple question if you are visiting LB less than you used to and other places more...and here we are on page 15 with a political debate going on between 2 or 3 forum members. GO START YOUR OWN POST ON THE SUBJECT AND STOP RAILROADING THE ORIGINAL TOPIC...PLEASE.

I hope some good comes of this topic, and some positive changes are made to the LB website, to make it more user friendly as suggested. I hope the Politics issue is reconsidered and banned again. I want the back porch to be about about light topics and fun topics, "look at my new puppy", "my daughters getting married today", "anybody have a good chocolate cake recipe", "Who do you like on American Idol", stc. There are plenty of other places on the World Wide Web for people to go discuss politics, it doesn't need to be done here on a Miniature Horse forum, unless there is politics involving Horses, The future of horse breeders, the future of equine dentists, etc., issues that affect us directly as horse breeders/owners. I have CNN, I come to the forum to get a break from the world, especially the "Back Porch". That's my opinion. It looks like Mary Lou is taking the steps to get the changes made, and I am excited to see them. Thank you for doing that.

This is exactly the reason many people don't post anymore...this topic has gone off course again. The original topic started with a simple question if you are visiting LB less than you used to and other places more...and here we are on page 15 with a political debate going on between 2 or 3 forum members. GO START YOUR OWN POST ON THE SUBJECT AND STOP RAILROADING THE ORIGINAL TOPIC...PLEASE.

I hope some good comes of this topic, and some positive changes are made to the LB website, to make it more user friendly as suggested. I hope the Politics issue is reconsidered and banned again. I want the back porch to be about about light topics and fun topics, "look at my new puppy", "my daughters getting married today", "anybody have a good chocolate cake recipe", "Who do you like on American Idol", stc. There are plenty of other places on the World Wide Web for people to go discuss politics, it doesn't need to be done here on a Miniature Horse forum, unless there is politics involving Horses, The future of horse breeders, the future of equine dentists, etc., issues that affect us directly as horse breeders/owners. I have CNN, I come to the forum to get a break from the world, especially the "Back Porch". That's my opinion. It looks like Mary Lou is taking the steps to get the changes made, and I am excited to see them. Thank you for doing that.

I agree.. if politics has to be here on LB it should be on its own forum where the rest of us are not subjected to it..

I agree.. if politics has to be here on LB it should be on its own forum where the rest of us are not subjected to it..
Oh yeah. I just hate it when I see a topic title and know it's something I don't want to read but my computer makes me do it anyway. I mean, really. Come on people! Topics are accurately titled and if you don't like the subject matter, simply spare yourself the time and trouble and pass it up
mellow.gif

I really don’t think going off topic scares people away. When anybody posts a topic this is bound to happen, a person asks for advice they are going to get it in all aspects. I don’t think topics should be limited at all, everybody has the option to read them or not. What mostly drew me away from here as the old timers that used to be here are not anymore, and the fact that no matter where you go on here it seems like people are using it more for promoting their own farms to an obsessive amount. That is what the sale boards or your website is for. There are a few on there that post, the rare time they do post it’s normally to brag about their farm, their wins or their foals. The learning ability is lost.

This is the back porch which is NHR so I think politics is fair game. It is funny, perhaps one reason this place is not so popular is because some take things personal, whatever the subject matter is, especially politics...Example: I work with/friends with folks who have total different political/religous views than I do...been in many debates (heated at times) but when the debate is over I am still friends with them....it is not going to stop me from socializing with them...or purchasing a horse from them, or responding to their posts, which has been mentioned here....it is childish.

I believe as I am reading this I do see why this is brought up.

But:

ML has said yes, so yes it will be..

I do not think politics have stopped anyone from coming here.

A heading for Politics, Religion etc. would satisfy members.

Maybe ML can just call it Debating Topics should be added so the

back porch does not loose what we already have.

Just like with this topic it gets lost in some other important info.

and I think the same will happen if allowed back on the back porch.

Some do not make their titles clear..

Just another suggestion. and than can decide to read or not..

Example being I do not have donkeys do not usually go to that part of the forum.

McBunz, I'm sorry you're offended that I, as an American citizen, have zero personal interest in the Canadian perspective on US politics. Still, it remains the case that I feel this way, it isn't breaking news, it's not an unreasonable point of view, and it's also not a rare point of view.

Since you know that's my opinion and there's a chance you may be offended by other opinions of mine with which you don't agree, maybe you should implement a zero interest policy regarding my perspective on all things? Or maybe there's still the ability to create ignore lists on LB?
I get McBunz point here. Jill we all know your position on politics, I also know we are very different in that aspect. I do remember when these threads were going on, the people from Canada that posted, were told to stop posting, they didnt belong on that topic since they didnt have any say in what the US does. This is disrepectful in my opinion. Some of those people have citizenship here. A person dont have to agree with them or even take what they say in to consideration, however they have just as much right to post to them as any others and shouldnt be told they cant or be treated like crap cause they do. (not saying you did this, and honestly I dont remember who it was, just remember it happening).

I get McBunz point here. Jill we all know your position on politics, I also know we are very different in that aspect. I do remember when these threads were going on, the people from Canada that posted, were told to stop posting, they didnt belong on that topic since they didnt have any say in what the US does. This is disrepectful in my opinion. Some of those people have citizenship here. A person dont have to agree with them or even take what they say in to consideration, however they have just as much right to post to them as any others and shouldnt be told they cant or be treated like crap cause they do. (not saying you did this, and honestly I dont remember who it was, just remember it happening).
Never happened. No Nationality was told they couldn't post and this or that type of thread
default_wacko.png

This is the back porch which is NHR so I think politics is fair game. It is funny, perhaps one reason this place is not so popular is because some take things personal, whatever the subject matter is, especially politics...Example: I work with/friends with folks who have total different political/religous views than I do...been in many debates (heated at times) but when the debate is over I am still friends with them....it is not going to stop me from socializing with them...or purchasing a horse from them, or responding to their posts, which has been mentioned here....it is childish.
I agree with this completely. Too many people just cannot handle an honest opinion EVEN when they say they want to hear opinions.

If that separate spot here goes into effect, maybe it could it be set up so those new people can upload some pictures from their computers if they want, vs. having to have them already hosted online? A lot of new people don't know how to show us pictures, but if they could just pick them from their harddrive, I bet it would be easier. I was thinking if they can show us their horses, themselves, their farm, whatever they want (assuming they want to show us pictures) it might "bond" them more to us through being able to more fully share with LB? It might seem like a small thing, but I think it would help them feel more at home if in addition to saying welcome, we could also say things about "oh, your mini is so pretty", "I love your barn", etc. It might seem like a small thing to us who are used to showing our friends here things in our lives through pictures, but I think it could be a big thing for a new person and make them feel more at home and understood.
There is already this option of uploading photos from hard drive, and that is the image gallery that each account member has. It then gives the simple option of using the code and/or url to add to the post to have your photo appear in your post.

Oh yeah. I just hate it when I see a topic title and know it's something I don't want to read but my computer makes me do it anyway. I mean, really. Come on people! Topics are accurately titled and if you don't like the subject matter, simply spare yourself the time and trouble and pass it up
The new scroll-over feature will help with that - it lets you see how a thread starts before you even click on it... so political threads can be easily avoided. IMO extra forums are not the answer... just avoid the threads you do not care for and you can always scroll past the posts you do not like - seeing as there is no "ignore" button here.

default_yes.gif

No Nationality was told they couldn't post and this or that type of thread
???!!!!

Well then, let's phrase it this way... only one Nationality was "approved" to discuss certain topics and post in a certain way about their concerns/opinions...

Whatever, that is in the past - one would hope.

mellow.gif

Did this topic indicate politics.????..I don't thinks so... You brought it into the mix.. And as far as I can see you are the only

one who wants it with maybe Sonja..The only reason I can see why there were so many posting to it before is that I made so many people

angry... And anger is not good for this forum...or any other...

As long as there is a little red button in the Oval Office I think other nations have the right to

opinions as to which is the lesser evil to be sitting behind that desk.. Preferably the one with some

smarts..

The new scroll-over feature will help with that - it lets you see how a thread starts before you even click on it... so political threads can be easily avoided. IMO extra forums are not the answer... just avoid the threads you do not care for and you can always scroll past the posts you do not like - seeing as there is no "ignore" button here.

default_yes.gif

???!!!!
I understand we can over look the topics, or not read or comment.

but if there are so many people as said here that wants politics.

than there will be a lot of politic posting on the back porch and what happens to the info that is not bumped so often and gets lost & never get looked at. We might just miss some good info or topics.

If there is going to be that many wanting this, than an area would be best not the back porch.

I still don't see anywhere that anyone said that a certain person doesn't have a right to have an opinion or a right to post...everyone has a right to an opinion/post just as everyone has a right to decide if that opinion holds value for them personally. For myself I read everyones opinions on a matter however not all of the opinions hold the same weight for me...if I asked for opinions about a certain profession....I would hold a persons opinion who actually was involved in that profession of higher importance than someone who does not work in that profession at all. I think most would, it's common sense.

I would hold a persons opinion who actually was involved in that profession of higher importance than someone who does not work in that profession at all.
So then, only politicians should start or comment in a political thread...
default_wink.png
... that eliminates all of us!

Yes that was my idea, to have a welcome forum.
default_yes.gif

Glad you like it Jill.

here we go again....I don't know how I can explain it easier...i wasn't referring to politics there, I was using it as an example for any subject. If I asked for opinions on how rotating shifts affect a prison gaurd, I would hold Ashleys opinion in higher regard as she has walked in those shoes...Jill's opinion would probably not hold much weight for me since she's never been a prison guard (or a prisoner that I'm aware of) ;). I really don't know why this is such a sore subject for some. If someone tells you they don't hold your opinion of a certain subject in high regard, why is that a crime? Who really cares, why would you care so much? I hold opinions that my parents have gave me in high regards, and some not so much
default_smile.png

Well l can't see why there needs to be a seperate area for politics...seems the back porch is as good as any seeing as it falls under other things to talk about besides the minis..on the other hand if there is a need for it l think it should be called..Jills Political Comments
default_laugh.png
l hold no interest in the subject myself..On the other hand love that scroll over thing no need to even open and look inside if it holds no interest VERY NICE...waiting for that like button so l can click that on for anything and everything who cares like it or not if you can click it l say click it. l love clicking buttons okay maybe not always that delete button should be played around with but l'm learning:BigGrin
default_biggrin.png

There is already this option of uploading photos from hard drive, and that is the image gallery that each account member has. It then gives the simple option of using the code and/or url to add to the post to have your photo appear in your post.
I didn't realize the gallery images could be used that way! That is great for people who don't have them hosted online
default_yes.gif

Did this topic indicate politics.????..I don't thinks so... You brought it into the mix.. And as far as I can see you are the only

one who wants it with maybe Sonja..The only reason I can see why there were so many posting to it before is that I made so many people

angry... And anger is not good for this forum...or any other...

As long as there is a little red button in the Oval Office I think other nations have the right to

opinions as to which is the lesser evil to be sitting behind that desk.. Preferably the one with some

smarts..
Sooooo... how many times have you read and posted on this thread since you decided you think it's about politics? And for what it's worth, I'm not angry
dont-know.gif

I believe the best you can expect from your elected officials is enough brain cells not to offend other nations or embarrass your own

country. YOU Bet Yah The rest is money talking and power grabs within the nation to aid their supporters.
Mary Lou is the one who said the "P" word is allowed on LB, but as far as I can tell, the people who actually say they DON'T want politics discussed on LB are the ONLY ones who expressed political opinions on this thread -- and you're one of the ones who did, McBunz! How ironically funny
smile2.gif

Yes that was my idea, to have a welcome forum.
default_yes.gif

Glad you like it Jill.
I think it would be a great idea
default_yes.gif

Well l can't see why there needs to be a seperate area for politics...seems the back porch is as good as any seeing as it falls under other things to talk about besides the minis..on the other hand if there is a need for it l think it should be called..Jills Political Comments
default_laugh.png
Well I've got a secret I can tell you. Anytime you see my name and my horse avatar there to the left <--- the words in the box located where you're now reading will contain my opinions including poltical opinion(s) if I feel the topic is political
default_smile.png

The only thing I've said that could even approach a political remark on this thread was a little joke / jab about Sarah Palin -- but, hey, who's really trying to see anything for what it actually is (or was) anymore?
default_biggrin.png

But anyone who really does like a common sense conservative business woman's point of view on politics can friend me on Facebook because I post a lot of news links there and have many ongoing discussions at play. Likewise, anyone who's not into that would possibly not find me to be an enjoyable Facebook friend (which is fine by me -- I know how I like to use my Facebook account, and why it's so)
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back