"do you have any REAL dogs/horses?"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpony

Reaction score
The next person who looks at my horse or my dogs and asks if I have any "real" dogs or horses at home somewhere just might get a kick in the shin.

I have two small hairless dogs, and I have a miniature horse. Now I know people find them weird and fascinating, and I am used to silly comments from people trying to be funny (like people asking me how the chemo is working for my hairless dogs, or asking if I have a small horse because I only plan on doing a "little" farming) but the rude and insulting tone some people take when they ask if I have any real dogs or horses or when they ask "what are they good for?" is really starting to get on my nerves. With the dogs, I usually ask the person when was the last time they took their big "real dog" out hunting or dog sledding and that shuts them up. My dogs "job" is to be my companion, just like a big dogs usual job these days, and they do a darn good job living up to their end of the bargain, thankyouverymuch.

As far as my horse goes, I like driving. I can do it just as well with a 32 inch mini as I can with a 17 hh clydesdale. Actually i can do it better since I have health issues with my arms that pretty much make it impossible for me to handle a larger animal. Just because as a weanling he currently weighs less then I do doesn't mean he isn't a "real" horse. GR!

I just don't understand why people feel the need to be rude and insulting just because they don't like small dogs or horses. Why do they care enough about what *I* like to bother coming up with a rude comment to toss at me about it?

Now usually I just ignore it, because I don't really care what other people think. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is true. But in the last several days I've had to try and respond to people pulling this garbage and feeling like I have to respond to them in some way is what has me annoyed.

I had a guy in a truck yell "Get a real horse!" at me when I was out walking my colt yesterday, but he was smiling as he said it, soo I smiled really big and yelled back, "As soon as you get a real brain and some real manners..." He seemed amused, and so was I, but it still kind of annoyed me and felt good to be a bit of a smarty pants in reply to him since I normally wouldn't do that. But I may have to start replying that way even to people who mean it.

So, have any of you had this happen, and how did/do you respond to people who say these kinds of things? Do you just ignore them? Do you try to explain why you have them and what they ARE good for? Or do you come up with smarty pants replies like I am tempted to do?

So far I have mostly just replied with either explanations of what they ARE good for, or I have just ignored it, but after the last few days i'm feeling a bit testy so that is why I am considering just switching to the shin kicking method of dealing with it. :lol: :lol:

As a whole my reply matches the tone of the person I'm talking to. If they sound like they really want to know I will spend time telling them, if they ask in a funny yet smart alec tone that's the reply they get (I don't mind this kind because I think it's usually in good fun and I'm a good natured sort), and if they're rude I can match that pretty good too
default_rolleyes.gif
: . So use your own judgment on what the person needs to hear from you.

:no: I am in the same boat........I have 3 chinese cresteds and 2 mini's. Also a "big horse". Everyone that comes over (my husband is in construction) thinks its funny to be a wise A** about it. They don't get that after the first 100 times they say something stupid, I don't feel like being nice. Depends on the person, but I usually just ignore the comment.........unless I think they are serious. All the guys make comments like, "when are we going to throw them (the mini's) on the grill?" or "why do you keep shaving your dogs?". HAHAHA, real funny.
default_wacko.png
:

Glad I'm not the only one, :aktion033:

Alicia

:no: I am in the same boat........I have 3 chinese cresteds and 2 mini's. Also a "big horse". Everyone that comes over (my husband is in construction) thinks its funny to be a wise A** about it. They don't get that after the first 100 times they say something stupid, I don't feel like being nice. Depends on the person, but I usually just ignore the comment.........unless I think they are serious. All the guys make comments like, "when are we going to throw them (the mini's) on the grill?" or "why do you keep shaving your dogs?". HAHAHA, real funny.
default_wacko.png
:

Glad I'm not the only one, :aktion033:

Alicia

AHHHH!!! Mine are Chinese Cresteds too! So you really DO know where I am coming from, lol!

One of the best ones was when I took my first Crested with me to the annual 4th of July parade (just to watch) and some wiseacre comes up and says the "Hows the chemo working?" comment about my dog... the thing is this guy had a seriously receding hairline, so i replied, "Better then it seems to be working for YOU." Yeah, it was so wrong of me but I couldn't resist. Everyone around us cracked up but i don't think he was amused.

*blush*

some wiseacre comes up and says the "Hows the chemo working?" comment about my dog... the thing is this guy had a seriously receding hairline, so i replied, "Better then it seems to be working for YOU." Yeah, it was so wrong of me but I couldn't resist. Everyone around us cracked up but i don't think he was amused.

I loved this answer!! :aktion033: I often think of good things to say to dumb people, but not usually in time to say them to their face. Good for you!! Ask a smart alec question, get a smart alec reply!! :aktion033:

Vicki

One of the best ones was when I took my first Crested with me to the annual 4th of July parade (just to watch) and some wiseacre comes up and says the "Hows the chemo working?" comment about my dog... the thing is this guy had a seriously receding hairline, so i replied, "Better then it seems to be working for YOU." Yeah, it was so wrong of me but I couldn't resist. Everyone around us cracked up but i don't think he was amused.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: That is too funny. Wish I could havwe seen the guy's face, LOL. A woman after my own heart. :lol:

Alicia

Been there had that happen a lot also, its like people ask you where you are from ...you tell them and they say ewwwwwwwww I could never live there....Hellooooooooo geeze have YOU always been rude...just open mouth and nothing but stupidity falls out....lol I think my dog is beautiful....and my horses are awesome too...
april606.jpg
default_wub.png
:

Gorgeous dog Angie!!!!
default_wub.png
:

Both of my cresteds have very scarce furnishings compared to what people are used to seeing... I don't do any trimming other then to get some whiskers off of one of their faces (Nigel, he looks like a little old hobo if I don;t trim his face). Nigel has a reasonable amount of head/ear hair and tail hair, but virtually nothing on his feet... and mylo has a really whispy crest and some tail hair but nothing at all on his feet. I think if they looked more like your dog they would get picked on less, lol.

People can be SO ignorant it isnt funny!!! I'd just cock my head to the side, roll my eyes and ask them if they were ever taught any manners.

As for someone asking where I was from and they being rude, I would have been unpolite back. Like 'we dont allow those without manners in anyhow'. Gotta say though, I in a bit of a foul mood today LOL probably woudnt say anything on a normal day LOL

The other day I was out with the 4-wheeler, was just riding around, hadnt planned on working LOL Came across a few large downed branches so I tied them up and was dragging them to the burn pile. Had a yahoo ( with his yahoo buddies inside) in a truck pulling a loaded horse trailer stop and ask me 'honey, arent you afraid of breaking a nail?' I asked him if he wasnt adraid that his cow-horse looked smarter than him. Kinda suprised myself, not normally like that but these branches had just about wooped my butt LOL He had to have turned around to ask me that, where I was in relation to the road he couldnt have seen me in time to stop. People

awwww.... cuties. They look like REAL dogs to me, too. heh.

these are my "fake" dogs that people pick on:

Nigel in his winter coat:

nigelcoat.jpg

Mylo, hanging out with one of our cats before his allergies got bad and he itched a bunch of his head hair off (his head has about 6 hairs now. :no: )

myloirvine.jpg

I never realised there were this many "bald dog" lovers around here!

But I know it isn't just those of us with bald dogs who catch the annoying comments. Anyone who loves small dogs, or even bigger dogs that are seen as "froofy" get the rude comments too.

Awwwwwww they are all cute...I have to work to keep April looking as bald as she is....she is a hairy hairless...there are days I wish she had less hair...lol I was going to show her so went with more furnishings so I could compete..lol..but she hated it so now hair is not an issue....but it is good therepy to groom so its ok...she enjoy's the grooming and will stand on the table falling asleep..lol I let her grow out in the winter...not enough hair to keep her warm but a slight windbreaker
default_unsure.png
: The girl has more cloths than me!

The girl has more cloths than me!

LOL, my husband is always saying our dogs have better wardrobes than us. we live in NH and so we need to have 4 legged jammies, sweaters and outdoor winter clothes.
default_wacko.png
: we have a closet full just for the three dogs. :no: hehehe.........

By the way, Nigel looks too darn cute in his coat!

has anyine here with CC's got thier dog through Crest Care? I am a rep for them, and was just curious.

Alicia

The girl has more cloths than me!

LOL, my husband is always saying our dogs have better wardrobes than us. we live in NH and so we need to have 4 legged jammies, sweaters and outdoor winter clothes.
default_wacko.png
: we have a closet full just for the three dogs. :no: hehehe.........

By the way, Nigel looks too darn cute in his coat!

has anyine here with CC's got thier dog through Crest Care? I am a rep for them, and was just curious.

Alicia

Nope,not me! But I did once win something in one of their raffles. :lol:

I did get my Nigel from a rescue but it was an all breed rescue out of Novi MI, not Crest Care.

I made that coat for Nigel, using some old upholstery swatches I got from a furniture store that was going out of business and some fleece fabric. The upholstery has a guy fly fishing and says "Gone Fishing" on it, which makes me laugh for some reason.

Me either...April is from A breeder in Texas...and is related to some of Harricanes cresteds...I also had a Powder puff...sired by Jenn's stud Burning...But due to health problems I have had to rehome or return 4 of my dogs. I will not be breeding either the Shih Tzu's and will be spaying April. Going to miss the babies....and the wonderful people who adopted them....But sometimes you just need to take a different road....

Latest posts

Back