Do y'all get offended by the term "Pony"?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting thread.

Of course the word pony doesn't bother me a bit - that's what my herd has always been primarily made up of.

So, anyone know the politics that led to the formation of the AMHR in the early 70's? Anyone heard of the ASPC being "recertified" or "reverified"? Well, the ASPC was recertified in the last 60's/early 70's - all breeders had to send in their Shetland papers and have them recertified and pay a fee to have it done if they wanted their ponies to stay ASPC registered. There had been many non-Shetlands running around with Shetland papers on them when Shetland prices were through the roof (there were Shetlands selling in the 1950's for quadruple diget prices! C-Jo's Topper sold for $56,000!) - the recertification was sort of a regrouping and reassessment of the industry.

Not all breeders wanted to recertify - they didn't want to pay a fee to have their papers recertified when by 1970 Shetlands were going for sometimes less than the cost of registering them. Some of these people were the breeders of the "midget ponies" that had never commanded the prices that the 40 inch and over ponies had (midget pony classes has been offered as part of the Shetland Congress during the pony boom). Eventually, after the recertification was complete, some breeders of "midget ponies", many of which hadn't been recertified, approached the ASPC and the AMHR was formed. Some folks who had recertified still saw the value of marketing their ponies as "miniature horses" and cross registered ASPC Shetlands into the AMHR - but, they often did so with parentage listed as "unknown" because post boom Shetlands (or ponies being called Shetlands because the term had meant huge profits) were very hard to sell. (One breeder that several of my Foundation Shetlands actually bred pony mules using her Shetland mares for several years post bust until pony prices started coming back up again).

"Miniature Horse" was a great marketing ploy to add value back to ponies.
biggrin.gif

[SIZE=14pt]For those interested in the shetland heritage in our minis should buy Scott Uzzels book Our Shetland Heritage....some of the first imports from england were measured at 32-34 inches at the withers on the manifests of these shipments. It is a great book for mini and shetland people alike. I cant find mine right now but I did buy one back in the early 90s. It is an excellent read![/SIZE]

Lyn

weve debated this over and over before so most of you know i dont mind mine being called ponies, minis etc etc. makes no difference to me at all.

Plus if some one went up to you and said you Buckeroo linebred World, and National champion Stallion was a pony, I think you'd be offended.

but to this statement i have to say since buckeroo was sired by gold melody boy who was a registered shetland that remark wouldnt be far off the mark
smile.gif
so nope that wouldnt offend me either

Kay

MiniaturePrincess429 said:
.  Plus if some one went up to you and said you Buckeroo linebred World, and National champion Stallion was a pony, I think you'd be offended. 

497219[/snapback]

Nope I wouldnt be offended at all I would smile and say yes that is the truth.

I dont understand why acknowledging one thing (pony heritage) some think takes away from the breed we have today or the minis of today?

The facts of the past present and future dont change the fact that this breed has come far, that these horses-ponies have come along way over the years, that they keep getting better and better.

One doesnt take away from the other IMO the truth can very well be that yes they are under 14.2 so are ponies and yes the ones with papers are reg as Miniature horses and bottom line is we all love them no matter what we choose to call them
smile.gif

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
MiniaturePrincess429 said:
.  Plus if some one went up to you and said you Buckeroo linebred World, and National champion Stallion was a pony, I think you'd be offended. 

497219[/snapback]

Nope I wouldnt be offended at all I would smile and say yes that is the truth.

I dont understand why acknowledging one thing (pony heritage) some think takes away from the breed we have today or the minis of today?

The facts of the past present and future dont change the fact that this breed has come far, that these horses-ponies have come along way over the years, that they keep getting better and better.

One doesnt take away from the other IMO the truth can very well be that yes they are under 14.2 so are ponies and yes the ones with papers are reg as Miniature horses and bottom line is we all love them no matter what we choose to call them
smile.gif

497296[/snapback]

In a nutshell this very argument is the reason they were changed to miniature horses......people have this "ponies are bad/worthless" mentality even today.......

I do mind. I had a number of Arabs under 14.2hh- they were NEVER "Ponies" The Arabian is a HORSE breed. As I have said many times before- if you had the diversity of Horse breeds that we had you might think differently about this. I have to say I am far more offended by people assuming thay are Falabellas. The difference between a Miniature Horse and a Miniature Shetland is ENORMOUS, if you are dealing, as I ma, with "proper" Shetlands. We are phasing them out of our Stud Book and, pretty soon, they will no longer be eligible for hardshipping. This I think is a step in the right direction. I have bred Ponies, I love Ponies, I no longer wish to breed them I wish to breed real Horses, in Miniature. Which will not look at all like a Pony. I reckon, after 25 years, I am about half way there. We do not "produce" as much as you do, so what you see, is pretty much what there is. And I really do hope it stays that way!!!
smile.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Here's the thing....when Sweet Tart gets hardshipped into AMHA when he is 5....2 years from the spring.... Does he cease to be a shetland??? According to them he will because his sire and dam will be listed as unknown..... How sad since he has almost 100 years of documented heritage in his AMHR and ASPC papers, I resent that more than people calling my mini only minis ponies.[/SIZE]

Lyn

There are too many people who argue because of their love of contradiction rather than the responsibility of enlightenment.

PONY..........look up the word in the dictionary.

1 a : a small horse
It has been determined that the size that differentiates between pony and horse is 14.2.

Very simple. I don't care what breed it is. If it is under 14.2 it is considered a pony.

You all can call it anything you wish........makes no difference to me. But facts are facts and you cannot change the definition of a pony or a horse to suit your needs or personal ego. There is nothing wrong with owning a pony. If you have an issue with the word perhaps you need to own a Warmblood or a Clydesdale, etc.
laugh.gif

Oh Lyn I agree with you on that point...My Shetland Pony if He had stayed 38 inch or under That is exactly what would have taken place the Pedigree would have been wiped out..Sire unknown Dam Unknown and finding this out even if Josh had stayed in hardship range I might not have got him registered anyway. Was not fair to him to have his Pedigree wiped clean aarrgg.. And there were plenty of registered mini in His back ground and I had his pedigree for 6 generations.. Nope unfair in my book to have something like that take place. And Yes That Shetland Still would have been a mini Shetland then... And then it still would be correct to say he is a pony even if reg. in AMHR ...Ya maybe we should think about calling them mini ponies after all that is what they are.. Just small ponies.

Nope, I'm not at all offended by people calling them ponies. If asked I will tell people that our "ponies" are registered with the Miniature horse registry, but technically they are still ponies. We don't have any registered Shetlands, but some of our Minis are very strong in Shetland breeding; there's no doubt a Sec. A Welsh or two close behind a couple of our mares, Ice Man is off Jandt's bred-down Arabian line so there is some "horse" there....but all are under 38" inches & by definition they're all still ponies.

[SIZE=14pt]I use to - but after hearing all of these posts - Naaaah!!
rolleyes.gif
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Actually shminifancier, your amhr papers would include his shetland heritage. It is only amha that lists them as unknown.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thanks it was many years ago. close to 20 yearsw at that, when I did think about doing it..

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]Actually shminifancier, your amhr papers would include his shetland heritage. It is only amha that lists them as unknown.[/SIZE]Lyn

497393[/snapback]

A rose is a rose by any other name................... Just because someone decided to call them miniature horses does not make them less of a pony. JMHO - not that anyone cares.

My ten year old son has taken to the marketability factor for the "pony" vs "mini". He is always telling people that our "R" mini is saddle broke and the perfect "horse" for a child to learn to ride on, simply because if they fell off, there wouldn't be very far to fall. Then he tells them that a "pony" would even hold MOM, and simply is too much "horse" for the smallest of children. Lol... He's such a sales person.

Recently, I had a an injury, and I thought something else might be broke, (foot got stomped by the QH), and off we went to the hospital for some X-rays. Before they had developed the X-rays, my darling son, had the E.R. doctor convinced that having a mini around his five year old was a good idea and that a pony, would just be taking too much of a chance. Lol.. When I left the doctor was asking for phone nos. of various breeders in our area... (Ocala has a a few mini breeders around KWIM?) (People just don't realize they need hip boots around my son sometimes... lol)

When I was being discharged, the doctor was thanking my son and telling him, that he'd rather his daughter be driving a mini when she gets older, then jumping a full size horse in an arena... Lol..

But when I go check on everyone, and do midnight snacks... I kiss our "R" mini on the nose.. and tell him, what a good "pony" he is... To me... "pony" is just an expression of love for the little guys..

God Bless,

Lynn W

Latest posts

Back