DNA - What could have happened here?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to chuckle over this... pretty hard not to know who the dam is when you foal them out.. Can see a sire mix up...as I had a mare

bred through the fence..It could happen I suppose if you were not there and two mares foaled and switched foals. Glad you got it sorted

out just the same...

Strange! The same thing happened to me just a couple of weeks ago. The beautiful colt I bought is now three and I had him DNA so that I could register his babies. His paper work came back saying that it excluded the dam listed as being his mother. I couldn't believe it either. I have photos of him as a baby with that dam. Plus I trust that breeder implicitly. She too, knows for a fact that that mare was my colt's dam. To complicate the problem, my stallion's dam had died last year to an unexpected illness. There is no way to retest her.

Glad your problem is solved

Barbara I hope they can work out a solution for yours

It is a reminder when we loose a breeding mare or stallion

to pull some hairs and save them incase an unexpected problem like this should arise

When we purchased our first stallion at 3 yrs old and sent hairs to dna-pq

we got the same answer from amha his dam is not his dam

All was quickly worked out by his breeder who was able

to have his dams new owner pull hairs and send in

luckily ours was solved they again had samples mixed up

but ours ended on a good note. And we were very lucky that his

breeder was a wonderful woman who went to alot of trouble to help

Kilkenny Farms said:
I have photos of him as a baby with that dam. Plus I trust that breeder implicitly. She too, knows for a fact that that mare was my colt's dam. To complicate the problem, my stallion's dam had died last year to an unexpected illness. There is no way to retest her.
I ran into that problem when I went to register my first miniature as a four year old. I had his registration application from his breeder but the previous two owners had never sent it in and his dam had since died. I was very lucky- they PQ'd him to his sire and since he was a gelding and all his paperwork from the breeder was in order they allowed me to register him anyway. He also had a full sister on file so I suggested they could cross-check the DNA to see if they shared the same dam but I'm not sure if they ever did that.

Leia

This is exactly why I PQ my horses when I register them. OK, so it costs $40 more. You don't have a buyer ever come back with "this doesn't match".

PQ is parentage qualified. Which means the DNA on file for the sire and dam is matched up to the foal. Then it is proven that that foal is from those parents. In the old days some breeders ran many stallions with the mares at the same time and who knew who the sires were.

Now with PQ, pedigrees are more honest than they used to be.

Latest posts

Back