DNA - What could have happened here?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizbeth

Reaction score
I am wondering what has happened here. I just received a phone call from a lady I sold a colt to a couple of years ago. She just sent his mane/tail hairs in for DNA. AMHA is saying that his dam has been excluded as his dam, based on their report. I have a call into them now waiting to talk to Marsha, there is no doubt that Breezie is the dam to the colt as listed on his papers. The mare was DNA'd and is Permenant Registered.

AMHA did say I would need to DNA other mares to rule them out as dam to the stallion, I said that is crazy since this mare IS HIS DAM!

What do you think has happened here? Obvisouly a mistake, but what kind? What is the fix?

I would have her send a new sample from her colt. Could have gotten other hair mixed in or some other contamination.

Ouch! Good luck! I hope that you will update this thread when you get this situation straightened out (I'm curious!).

Had this mare had foals for you (or anyone from her past) before that have been DNA'd? I ask because I know that a lot of people don't DNA colts if they are going to geld them.

Had this mare had foals for you (or anyone from her past) before that have been DNA'd?
That is my first question. If no one else has been DNA'd against her, and this is the first time her samples have been used for DNA comparison you would not have known prior to this, maybe hair samples got swapped in the lab, did you send off more than one sample when hers was sent in?

If their have been other foals compared against her, then I would question the colts sample (did new owner send in more than one sample, was sample contaminated,......)

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is some kind of cross contamination with the hair. Did the buyer pull hair on other horses that day? I would have the buyer pull hair again and send in.

Hope it gets straightened out.

The lady said she was careful with the sample and that was the only one she sent it. Marsha is calling the lab now to see what could have happened. No - no other foals have been DNA'd.

I'm guessing the lab made a mistake and thankfully it is just one foal at this time involved. The dam involved here has her sire and dam DNA'd so you would think it would match up there.

Did she even TOUCH another horse prior to pulling the hair? I have heard that you can't touch any other horse before you pull hair for DNA as it will contaminate it.....fact or fiction I'm not sure just what I have heard!

did you send your mares hair samples in or did someone else do it ? I know its a long shot but is it possible that your mare isnt who you think she is ?

The mare's sire & dam are DNA'd, but was this mare actually PQ'd to those parents, or does she have DNA only, without the PQ?

If the foal's sample tested okay to his sire then it doesn't seem likely there was a mixup with his sample--it would seem like a problem with the mare's DNA file. I would look into that--the mare's sample could have been mixed up somehow at the time it was sent in. You may have to do a new DNA test on her & see if she matches up with the results they have on file for her. Did you have her tested, or was she already done when you bought her?

did you send your mares hair samples in or did someone else do it ? I know its a long shot but is it possible that your mare isnt who you think she is ?
That was my thought as well. Perhaps the mare needs to be retested. Just searching for possibilities.

Oops. Posting at the same time as Minimor.

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest would be to do a clean pull on the colt and the mare and have them both checked again. I'd do the colt first and if it is again not a match submit a new test for the mare.

Seeing as they're excluding the mare, then they have established that the sire is the sire, so the mares test is likely the issue.

We had to have a mare we purchased retested (AMHA request) as one of her foals was not matching up (different breeder/owner of mare/foal). Turns out they weren't a match - two silver bay mares that breeder owned and foals were registered/DNA'd to the wrong dams. It can happen, not intentionally.

I raised this mare and owned her dam and sire. I also sent in DNA samples but do not recall if I sent more than one with hers, or not. Yes, the sire to the colt is PQ'd so that is not the issue.

I am still waiting for Marsha to call me back.

sorry for the trouble this is causing you.

But it is nice to know AMHA is checking and doing the DNA check on these foals
default_wub.png

Did you personally sell the colt to this lady? If not, it's possible that papers on the colt got switched.

Okay, the mystery is solved. Apparently the lab mixed up her mane/tail hairs with another horse. The DNA on file for my mare belongs to another mare, one I have never owned or even know of. We will retest my mare and it should all work out just fine.

WHEW!!!

Okay, the mystery is solved. Apparently the lab mixed up her mane/tail hairs with another horse. The DNA on file for my mare belongs to another mare, one I have never owned or even know of. We will retest my mare and it should all work out just fine.

WHEW!!!
That is the logical answer. Mistakes do happen. Glad they got it figured out.
default_aktion033.gif

THANK HEAVENS!! I checked my email this morning and about had a heart attack! If any one is wondering what my interest in this is, I bought a mare last year from the owner of the "colt" in question. The mare was bred to this horse. She foaled, I sent the paperwork to register the resulting colt and got a note back we couldn't proceed with regististration because there was no DNA for the sire. Got that resolved, and now this. Kind of scared me because I had just picked up the "colt" in question this weekend on a show lease. Last thing I needed was trouble with his papers.

Glad it's all solved!

I agree, she may not be the mare that you think she is. Unfortunately, there are many horses out there that do not match up to their pedigrees. That is why AMHA went to DNA'ing the breeding stock.

My guess is that she does not match up to the DNA that her papers say she is. There would have had to be an awful lot of contamination to get the wrong DNA, and as someone said, it did match up with the sire, so they have the right hair samples.

Has she had other foals?

Back