Diagnosing ulcers by palpation - must see video!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
Just saw this on Facebook and felt I had to share here too. I wish I had seen this 2 years ago... or even last fall. Shown on a big horse of course, but don't see why it wouldn't work on a mini just as well.

Interesting. Something is going on with my hard keeper. We (my vet and I) are giving her a 28 day course of Gastroguard (omeprazole). Based on what this vet just said, IF she has ulcers as we're suspecting and treating her for...I'm doing everything else wrong. I've fed her sweet feed since she came her in 2009 because its the only thing she'd eat. Right now, she's not eating much of anything, so I think I'm going to stop trying for the time being and just let her have her alfalfa hay and pasture grass. Not sure if I can palpitate like he showed but I might give it a shot and share it with my own vet.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
default_yes.gif

I checked this out on my new driving prospect. She has been very sensitive in those areas since I got her 7 weeks ago, but is improving immensely. She still reacted strongly to the point by the elbow, which according to the video could also be a rib problem. Our chiropractor is coming next month, so it will be interesting to see if she has a problem with ribs, or if I need to think about ulcers.

She isn't senstive anymore on the withers or back, but still reacts to both of the girth area points, especially the elbow. The vitamin supplement I give her has probiotics. Is that the digestive supplement the vet meant?

thanks! this is great info. I was just wondering about 2 of my big horses and ulcers... I will palpate as soon as tomorrow am.

Thank you Mary that was VERY interesting. Could someone please tell me what the name of the supplement was that he suggested be fed to horses with ulcers?

I did a search on DePaola Equine Concepts to learn more. He does (surprise, surprise) sell supplements, but also mentions natural products such as aloe vera and pre- and pro-biotics. I am feeding a product called U-Gard, which I think would qualify, and perhaps even the Stomach Soother I use. So not any one product, just something to promote gut health. Yes, there is one called G.U.T. I have seen advertised.

Alfalfa cubes (soaked) have been our standby feed for horses that we think have ulcers

Latest posts

Back