Desk top computers...recommendations...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kristen this is a custom built computer from a stand alone business, NOT a brand. Now to try to answer your questions:

The question is pretty much going to come down to are you interested in trying to wring a little more life out of this machine, or just want to start over? Here is part of the problem, if I knew enough about these darn things I wouldn't be in this rut. If I could get a couple(2-3) years out of it for a very reasonable price then I would be interested in working on this one. But with used and touching it up a bit then I have to wonder what else could go wrong so then that is where I lean towards a new computer. If I only could figure out if this one has a true problem or if it is age that also would help in my decision.

What programs do you wish you had installed? Microsoft Home & Business 2010-it would make my home system more compatible with my work computer.

What do you wish it would do? Stop dragging between screens, stop freezing. Run smoothly while multi tasking.

Do you use things like Hulu/AmazonPrime/Netflix Streaming? No. But I would like to watch video's(example video's people post of their horses), I would like it to play my exercise DVD's in regular motion not slow motion.

Give what's on your wishlist I don't think it's practical to try to wring anything else from this one. We could try but my gut is telling me you won't be satisfied with the result. I always have to remind myself that most people REALLY don't like playing Dr Frankenstein over old computers spending hours to go "IT LIVES! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
default_firstprize.gif

So we're kind of circling back to the original question. Time to decide if you want to go with a name brand or another custom built machine.

If you decide you want to go custom you can probably reuse your existing case and CD-DVD drive. You will probably need to buy a new copy of Windows unless yours happens to be 64 bit. The PSU at 5 years old may or may not be worth keeping (my personal recommendation would be to get a new one. PSUs that fail tend to take components with them...). You'll want a new harddrive as the boot drive but you could keep the old one in the case. All other parts are probably not worth keeping. If you have a 10/100/1000 network card no harm in keeping it around as a "just in case" item. You could also attempt building it yourself- if you can insert Tab A into Slot B you can put together a computer.

If you decide you like having it boxed and delivered to you (which I totally get the appeal) just try to make sure you know what you're buying. Like I put in my first post a lot of places leave out what I'd consider fairly relevant information. An alternative to buying from Dell/HP/BestBuy/etc would be to look into ibuypower.com or cyberpowerpc.com. They target the gaming/OC market, so you can't compare what they build apples for apples to a box brand like a Dell (who target the home/casual user market), but going line by line might provide food for thought.

For about $630 if you build based around your existing parts (please don't go buy these. ;) I didn't check to see if the RAM was on the mobo's QVL and it doesn't look like you can use the PCI-e lane on the mobo unless there's a SandyBridge in the socket... the CPU listed is an IvyBridge. Demo purposes only!):

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148840

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182032

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116505

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116986

http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.968713

- current generation processor. Can step down.for less $

- enough RAM to swim in. Can buy less.

- large drive with good cache and data transfer rate. Can step down for less $

- no freebie software

- USB 3.0, SATA 6 support, Mob is a little sketchy (hey, it's $70! LOL)

- no in-home warranty service but all parts offer 1 year to lifetime warranties. Can choose different brands based on preferences.

- no phone support

- CPU gets hot and probably would benefit from an aftermarket cooler for about $70 or so

- PSU has enough juice to power additional harddrives and a GPU upgrade at a later date. Probably could go with one smaller.

Your $630ish at Dell:

http://configure.us....id=inspiron-660

- inferior processor

- 1/2 as much RAM

- 2TB HD, 7200RPM, unknown data transfer rate, unknown cache size, drives this large are prone to failure.

- You do get Elements

- You do get MacAffee

- You do get "reduced" MS Office suite

- USB 3.0? SATA 6? Probably not.

- 90 days phone support, 1 year warranty service

So in the end it just comes down to what you like best. There are some perks to either side of the argument.

My Husband normally puts together his "Franken" Boxes as they are called. He is an EMC/EMI, Mills Standard testing engineer and has a very good insight on what works out there and what doesn't.

A lot of problems with some of the computers now a days, is much of the components are made in China... China in turn, some times uses sub standard parts, in place of the parts they are supposed to use. He has seen this first hand. The companies turn a blind eye because they are still making money.

Is why one person's computer can last 5 years or more with no issues and other's are lucky to last a year.

Another problem with computers tanking, is they can get too hot. Heat kills computers.

Also knowing proper up keep, making sure you have a good anti virus program, firewalls and the like can also extend the life of an computer.

Once you go Mac, you never go back!

They take time to get used to and are a little more spendy than others, but they last longer and are just far superior imo. Not having to replace my computer every few years is wonderful.

I didn't read all the replies but will just say I've had my dell for 10 years. I did add memory a few years ago and had to change the fan (pieces of cake). I browse internet, email, photos, download songs....nothing heavy like gaming though. 10 years ago it was top of the line and it wasn't cheap....I thought about buying a new one, but heck it does all I need so no sense...funny if you go out and buy top of the line....in a month they are already outdated. I also have a cheapy HP laptop that I bought about 5 years ago and I havent had any problems with it either. About 3 years ago I bought 2 acer mini laptops from walmart for under $200 and have had good luck with them too....so I currently have 3 brands and really can't say anything negative about any of them, maybe I've just been very lucky...knocking on wood.

I do think my next computer will be a netbook, vs. a laptop. I'm tired of lugging it from home to office, especially now that I have so many different office locations. I don't need much anymore in terms of a computer, and I'm going to go for smaller / lighter...

Once you go Mac, you never go back!

They take time to get used to and are a little more spendy than others, but they last longer and are just far superior imo. Not having to replace my computer every few years is wonderful.

totally agree

Latest posts

Back