Deal or no deal??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpaints

Reaction score
I was looking through the classifieds todya and saw a ad for 3 mini mares all bred back and one stallion they range in ages 3 to 12 years. the colors of the mares are sorrel, black, and grey and the stallion is bay with a blue eye.none are broke to drive and 3/4 do relitivly well with the farrier. she is asking 1,000 a peice OR 3,000 for all. all are registered and the stallion has been shown a little in halter.hmmmmm should i go look or not ? lol. money really isnt an issue, so spending 3,000 would really get me off on the right foot on starting my mini herd..... hehe what do you think??

Becca

I'd think it depends on the mares. What do they look like, do they have good conformation, bloodlines, show records? I got a very good deal on my mare Laci...come to find out she's probably not what I want to start my herd on.

If the mares are good, by all means go have a look. But you may be better off taking your $3000 and buying one REALLY good mare to get yourself started.

Well if you want to get into breeding... why not get ONE $3,000 mini? If you buy carefully you can get many many times the quality. Most show/breeding people will advocate QUALITY over QUANTITY. There's probably a reason they are cheap. If you want a bunch of pets, might be a good buy. But it costs the same to feed a pet quality horse as a show quality horse.

Andrea

Hi Becca,

Shopping is fun isn't it??
default_yes.gif
: I don't know of the minis you're referring to, so this is just a general comment.

Will these be your first minis? What do you hope to do with your minis? Show? Breed? Therapy animals? Drive/CDE? Assuming you've decided on a direction, then decide what traits you need in your herd to accomplish your goals! That's the really fun part - selecting just the right ones just for your specific goals!
default_smile.png

As for the money aspect, I've purchased expensive minis, cheap minis and even have a few that were free. But what I've learned is that is doesn't matter what the price is, it matters what the quality of the horse is and what its characteristics are and do they match my goals - showing, driving, whatever.

Be selective. Even when we're talking about pets, it's important to know who you're buying from and what the histories of the horses are. You want your minis to be healthy and free from genetic faults.

Good luck in your search! Enjoy!
default_yes.gif
:

caveat emptor, or buyer beware.

Do your homework on paperwork, as well as the conformation issues.

if these mares are well-conformed and the registrations are in order, you could go ahead, but rarely is a "deal" like this truly a deal in my experience.

Ask around for references, as well.

If you want to start a breeding herd, you will need to do a lot of research on their suitability for breeding and the potential for your particular market (depending on what you are breeding for, going to be selling for).

Good luck with your research. I would agree with Andrea (disneyhorse) in that you may well find that your best purchase may well be a more expensive mare, as in one for the same price, but will give you much better return in terms of show quality and saleable offspring.

Liz M.

you all have given me some wonderful things to look for! yes, we are looking to show, and drive. we have one that is pet quality only.. but he does show well too he has a hay belly tho lol. i know i wouldnt be able to show full time .... or go to nationals or anything,.... maybe no farther than Utah. i love having them around and i know how spendy it can be to feed and care for a show horse ( i have 3 lol big ones that is) i will definatly be looking a bit more into this!

thanks,

Becca

It wouldn't hurt to go look at them. I know of someone that GAVE AWAY her whole herd of really nice minis because she couldn't care for them anymore. Just because the price is low doesn't always mean they aren't worth it. :eek:

I'm with Andrea. I'd go for one nice mini vs. an inexpensive package of minis. These could be outstanding ones, but for the price, it's doubtful. Before I got serious about breeding, some of my quality was all over the place as I had some horses I really bought just to show in color or inhand performance, some that didn't turn otu as I hoped, etc. While I loved adding quality horses when I got serious, I did not really "love" selling the ones that I was attached to but wouldn't want carbon copies of (so they were not okay for me to use in breeding). They all found good homes and they're special to their new families, but emotionally and financially, if I could have started out with the vision I have now, it would have been easier! So, again, my advice is to concentrate on quality over numbers. Buy one really nice mare, maybe even in foal to a really top notch stallion, and you'll be ahead of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here is something I want to run past you. You said they are all registered. Are they Registered with the AMHR, the AMHA , the world class registry?

Some people will tell you they are registered, but you may come to find out they are world class registered. I have never dealt with this registry, but it is my understanding that any mini can be WCR for a minimal fee. It doesn't hold alot of clout. The more respected registries are the Amha and the AMHR. Then, along with the WCR, you have registries for pintos, buckskins, blue eyed horses and so on.

I would also get one good mare for 2000-3000 dollars (maybe a bred mare)rather then 4 for $3000. You may even be able to get a package deal on 2 weanling that are are decent quality that are A or A/R registered because some people would like to have the extra barn space come winter. This would allow you to raise a baby or two before you jump into getting a herd. You can gain some insight before you deal with foaling out your own.

If you are going to breed, try to get the best quality you can afford. Quality doesn't have to mean $$$$$, but you usually get what you pay for.

Good Luck,

Carolyn

Well being that no one has seen these horses I dont see how anyone can assume they are not quality due to the price. The market is down, many areas are facing a hay shortage and winter is coming on these are reasons why many horsemen know this is truly the best time to buy as it is a buyers market.

Even show horses can be had as a deal this time of year.

It is possible that these horses may or may not be exactly what you are looking for there may be one or 2 in the group that fit your needs and you can sell the rest

Bottom line you will only know if you go check them out
default_yes.gif
:

Here is what I read between the lines:

"None are broke to drive" sounds like you would really like to drive. Why not look for something that IS broke to drive if that is important to you?

"bred back" and "ages 3-12" - who is the 3 year old and is she a maiden mare or is she really being "bred back" meaning she was bred at 2? Or is it the stallion that is 3? Foaling/breeding history is critical (and pictures of any foals).

"3/4 do relatively well for the farrier": that would be a red flag for me. Perhaps they aren't used to being handled? Or tied? They should ALL stand WELL for the farrier at ages 3-12 IMO.

Where was the stallion shown? Local fairs or AMHA shows? A world of difference there.

Of course, this could be the deal of the century, but I would want to see pictures and ask a lot of questions before I got too interested or excited.

yes it is the stud that is 3 years old. he was shown at the Eastern idaho state fair. not sure wethere that is AMHA or AMHR one of the mares 'tend to be a spitfire' according to the lady selling them. i have seen a picture of the stallion and one of the mares... but they arent the best pics.. they LOOK nice althought they seem really long-backed? also they are all under 34in ... i have the bigger minis... 34 to 36 inches. i wll be going to look at them in a week or so. they are around 60 miles from me so its a bit of a trip with my 2 daughters (age 4 and 2). but she said last night that 2 of the mares are broke to ride.... hmmm i know my 35 inch gelding can carry my 28lb daughter (my oldest) i didnt know the smaller minis could be rode?? i have a whole list of things to look for and to ask the lady. i will let you all know what happens when i go look.. and i may even perhaps snap a few pics with the digital camera and bring the pics in here for you all to help me decide for sure. thanks again!

Go with your cheque book left firmly at HOME!!!!

Go with an open mind and go prepared to come away leaving them there.

$1,000.00 is either very cheap or very expensive, depending on what is being offered.

There are plenty of people out there that will sell you absolute RUBBISH for a thousand dollars, and laugh all the way to the bank about it, too.

And there are just as many people who will sell you a really nice sound animal for the same money.

Only you can tell which this is and so, you will just have to go and look!!!!

If an animal is being sold as registered you need to see the papers- if they are not there, walk away- go back when they are there.

If an animal is sold as "bred"- well, is she in foal- in which case you need an ultrasound, or do you just not care???

If you buy her as bred and she has no foal will you be disappointed??

You cannot buy a "job lot" and expect to hit the Jackpot- but on the other hand- you actually might do just that.

Go on- go and see!!!!

Aren't we bad???
default_yes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Let us know :lol:

money really isnt an issue

lots of good advice but i have to admit i can't get my mind around this one...i would LOVE to be able to say THAT!!!! :new_shocked: i keep telling my husband, if he would just buy a WINNING lottery ticket instead of all those losers... we would be SET!

I agree with Minimule, Lisa, and Jane. All you can do is go see for yourself if this is a valid "deal" or not.

Find out WHAT the horses are registered TO and ask to see the papers. AMHA and/or AMHR are the two registries you would want to be looking for.

Check their bites, their legs, and the stallion's "jewels".....all that stuff. AND assess the horses to see if you like the overall look of them. If you are planning to breed, is that the "look" you would aim for?

Let us know how your visit goes.....

MA

Last edited by a moderator:
money really isnt an issue

lots of good advice but i have to admit i can't get my mind around this one...i would LOVE to be able to say THAT!!!! :new_shocked: i keep telling my husband, if he would just buy a WINNING lottery ticket instead of all those losers... we would be SET!
LOL yeah well it has taken us a while to get to where we are today.. we have our own buisness and we had to learn to budget and spend money wisley. i have a 'horse' fund... normally i use the $ to buy a big horse but lol these minis are soo addicting! i have been saving my money in my horse fund for a year.... i used to use the $ in my horse fund to go to auctions, buy a young , healthy big horse, train it, show it and resell it... but allt he auctions i have been to this year, dont have anything that is worth my time KWIM? of course im conteplating buyng a horse for my mom for christmas as her horsepassed away this summer
default_sad.png
i will go look and we shall see what we have! yeah i will want a US to check the mares in foal BEFORE i would ever buy any of them
default_smile.png

Sounds like you are asking the right questions, and not rushing into anything. I'm guessing you have enough horse experience to make a good judgement about them....but as you said, they are addicting LOL. I've bought minis on the spur of the moment that I never would have done had they been full size.

The quality vs quantity thing is important, esp I think with miniatures where "quantity" seems so easy to do.

Will be curious to know what you find.

Jan

Shadowpaints, sometimes you can get a swingin' deal. Sometimes the horses are not worth $5.00 but you just never know - you have to go look.

I got the stallion in my avatar for practically nothing. At 2 1/2 years old he was 34" and double registered - they were terrified he'd go "over". Well, he is 6 in that picture and EXACTLY 34". All the other buyers backed off him - they thought there was something "wrong" with him. Well first of all I LOVE the overs, but second - I just assessed him as a stallion, his conformation and temperament and did not worry about his size, and he fit the bill. 3 years later I am sitting here with a big fat grin on my face, and a gorgeous double-registered stallion who produces awesome offspring. It can happen. You just have to go in with some knowledge and some self-control to not buy every single thing you see. Like I say, some of them are not worth much but what the owner wants does not always reflect what you will think of the horse, or what the horse may be worth TO YOU.

I suppose I don't need to add that not everyone can afford to show, or put those beautiful ads in the breed magazines. Just because an animal does not have a show record or a full-page gorgeous ad does not mean it would not KICK SERIOUS BUTT in the show ring. A lot of times a horse needs an understanding handler and day-to-day work - and the purchase price does not really impact on how much time and love YOU have to spend on these horses.

On top of checking bites, legs, jewels, etc... CHECK PAPERS!! They should be in the current owner's name.

I agree too, that the price MAY not reflect the quality. I have seen some NICE horses have to go up for sale in a hurry due to various reasons- health, divorce, moving, etc..

If the horse was shown at the fair, how many were in the class total and where did he place? The mare who is 'skittish' could have other issues that could encompass a huge variety of things.

It doesnt hurt to go take a look, but dont get talked into something you really feel is not going to benefit you in any way. Look with a critical eye, then go home and think about it without making ANY commitment at the time.

Latest posts

Back