Day two.... not eating any hay! and wormer question....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl

Reaction score
We brought Levi home yesterday morning ( He is 9 days shy of 5 months)

We are giving him coastal hay nice quality, and Purina mini horse feed.

He is eating the purina mini horse and drinking a decent amount... running around bucking and kicking it up like mad.... The boy has some BUCK... haha.

BUT he isnt eating ANY hay..... we went ahead and let him out to graze in the yard (his paddock is dry lot.... ) he grazed off and on all day. He was on pasture before us though our grass was thicker...(hubby mowed it down to the same level as he was used to so hopefully it would be too much. )

Shoudl I worry? I know he had coastal hay at the old place....

Also, I found out he has NOT been wormed at all yet.... what would be the best wormer to start him off on to get things going without overloading him?

We are totally enjoying him and he is so fun to have around... he spent the day terrorising the dog.....

I like Safeguard for the babies.

He could have ulcers. Is he eating the grain just fine? What was he eating before you got him.

I would talk with the vet before you deworm.

He is eating the grain fine and grazing/eating happily. He is delighted to get his grain portion and enthusiastic about grazing...

He was getting free choice coastal hay from a round bale, some alfalfa each day I think and grain (trying to find out exactly what he was getting but cant get in touch with them right now.

When I put out the costal he sniffed it and when to chowing on his grain. Since we brought him home he hasnt touched it at all even when the grain was gone.

He is pooping and peeing and all over acting healthy.... actually acting rowdier and bouncier than I had EVER seen him since I started going out there in June. He spent the day testing out his new "racetrack" and bouncing around. I have two sets of hay in the barn and am going to crack open a different bale and try that tommorow just to see..... I cant find alfalfa right now in small bales as much as I would like to have some for him.....

All hay can be so different - even bales from the same field can differ. Is your hay really sweet to smell - always go by the smell as well as by the colour and the feel!

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. Levi is busy settling in, maybe if he had pasture at his other home, he did not actually eat much hay? Give him as much access to your grass as you can, and feed him the correct amount of feed as per the instructions on the bag, perhaps breaking it down into three feeds instead of two per day.

Yes worm him as soon as possible with a mild wormer and then perhaps have a word with your vet for a recommendation as to a safe follow up a couple of weeks later.

Keep trying him with handfuls of hay from different 'places' in your hay bale and see if he prefers one lot to another, then have a sniff/feel/inspect the handful that he has eaten and see if you can find out why it is different from the rest - might give you a clue as to what he actually likes?

Could we have a few pictures soon please?
default_yes.gif

All hay can be so different - even bales from the same field can differ. Is your hay really sweet to smell - always go by the smell as well as by the colour and the feel!

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. Levi is busy settling in, maybe if he had pasture at his other home, he did not actually eat much hay? Give him as much access to your grass as you can, and feed him the correct amount of feed as per the instructions on the bag, perhaps breaking it down into three feeds instead of two per day.

Yes worm him as soon as possible with a mild wormer and then perhaps have a word with your vet for a recommendation as to a safe follow up a couple of weeks later.

Keep trying him with handfuls of hay from different 'places' in your hay bale and see if he prefers one lot to another, then have a sniff/feel/inspect the handful that he has eaten and see if you can find out why it is different from the rest - might give you a clue as to what he actually likes?

Could we have a few pictures soon please?
default_yes.gif
What AnnaC said and congratulations on getting your boy home, you must be thrilled.

He may just need some time to acclimate his taste buds to new hay.
default_smile.png
Purina sells bagged, chopped alfalfa if you need to fill in, and Tractor Supply sells a bagged, chopped alfalfa/timothy mix under the TNT brand.

I'd second the suggestion to worm him first with Safeguard. Pretty mild, what I always start my babies with.

Jan

I agree with the rest- he is settling in and all hay is different- give him time. And omg, that he has never been wormed! Yep, get after that a.s.a.p. and I agree with the recommendation that you give him a mild one, then follow up.... Can't wait to see pics!

I opened a different bale of hay today... still nothing.. he flew out of the gate when I let him out to graze just now. Chomping like crazy now. I might try to alfalfa cubes from TSC if nothing tommorow.

He was happy to show me the bottoms of his feet the little snot.... little dude has more attitude now that hes home.... :-(

Tonight starts halter work here in a bit.... then starting tommorow its halter on to be able to go out to graze.....

I might try to alfalfa cubes from TSC if nothing tommorow.
Since you have a local TSC you might try the bagged chopped forage product they carry. My local TSC carries Lucerne Farms Hi Fiber (a mix of alfalfla, timothy and oat with a touch of molasses), my senior stallion loves it and looks pretty good on it. [At one time TSC carried TNT chops, don't know if some still do or not.] At least with the chopped hay, you wouldn't have to soak it.

Fenbendazole, the active ingredient in Panacur, is very mild, you can do the five day course and not worry about overdosing, it can do no harm. You do need to follow up in ten days time with Ivermectin, though as Fenbendazole only kills the nasty long worms that all foals have. Do not give a single dose, it will do more harm than good, under dosing is the way that resistances set in.

Latest posts

Back