Dangers of Cattle Panels

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_sad.png
I dunno much of anything about minis except if the fencing does not HOLD WATER, these little critters are gonna find a way out or manage to get a injured. Sure glad you're taking care of you boy! Please keep us posted!

I was taking my gelding to give cart rides. That morning I thought he seemed sluggish, but put it down to orneriness. I trimmed his fetlocks with the clippers, brushed him, cleaned his feet, loaded him and took him to the site. Hooked him up and was driving him on the grounds. He was uncooperative, but sometimes he is hardheaded. Then, as he was pulling, I happened to notice his foot. Above the hoof was a slice about an inch deep half way around the foot. You can imagine my horror. There was no blood ever. How I could have missed it during the grooming, I have no idea. Where he got the injury I never found out. I soaked the foot in epsom salt and used the silver spray, hydroed it for 8 weeks. It healed fine, but he still has a fine-line scar. For about a year, I could tell the nerves were affected and I was extra careful working on his hooves. It took ME a long time to get over that. Good luck with your horse, and try not to beat yourself up about it. Things just happen sometimes, and he isn't holding you to blame.

Marsha

I'm new to fencing, and have to ask...what on earth is cattle paneling? Can someone please post a picture? I am boarding my mini at a neighbors house and she has fencing that has big squares, sort of like a foot by a foot maybe. It is as Jill discribed, small squares at the bottom and bigger squares on top. But unless I saw a picture to compare, I don't know if this is cattle paneling.

I haven't gotten my filly just yet, but know that fencing is nothing to mess around with. I had a full grown Tom cat get his head stuck in chain link fencing once. You would have sworn he would have never been able to do that, but we had to have the neighbor come over and cut the square, so he could get his head out. I have decided that whatever fencing is in the neighbors yard, it looks dangerous, and I am going to wrap around it with another type of fencing that is only like an inch by an inch, so that the filly will not be able to get a leg, hoof, or head through the squares. But just for the record, I would like to know what type of fencing it is. I figure that if the hoof can go through a hole, such as in play, then if it were to get bent wrong or stuck, it could be a very dangerous situation.

So sorry this happened to your boy and please someone show me what a pic of the paneling.

But just for the record, I would like to know what type of fencing it is. I figure that if the hoof can go through a hole, such as in play, then if it were to get bent wrong or stuck, it could be a very dangerous situation.

So sorry this happened to your boy and please someone show me what a pic of the paneling.
This is cattle panels fencing. They are 16' in length, with approximately 6" mesh, but the lower couple of rows are shorter than the 6".

Mvc-229f.jpg

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING A PIC MONA!!! This IS what is over in the neighbor's corral area. They are older and rustier looking, but that is indeed the same squares. I knew they were nothing to take a chance with. It's just one of those gut feelings, you know? Plus the fear that a stray dog may sqeeze through or get his head threw. Thank you again.

If I had to do it over again, I would not use cattle panel! I have cattle panel on posts on one paddock and the little ones can get their feet through it as well as those nasty points where the panel was cut. I've had one gelding running away from me (never handled, just purchased) run right into the fence and managed to catch the points. And, that wound is definitely not too high up to be from the cattle panel. This kiddo tore off most of his eyelid, a chunk from his chest, AND a chunk from his shoulder. Unfortunately, due to his lack of handling, the vet had to rope him to stitch his eyelid. He made a full recovery. I had another gelding in the round pen where there was only panel on the gate. He, of course, ran into the gate (sheer stupidity) and cut a flap of skin on his chest down to the muscle. It was truly nasty. However, it healed up nicely with not scarring. These cuts happened because of ONE sharp point!

No fence is horse safe, they are bound and determined to do something to themselves somehow.

Good luck with him!

He is doing very well today. I cleaned up the wound this morning and put him out in the yard again for the day. He has been off of bute since friday and walking fine with out it. HE is his normal self. I had him lose in the wash stall while I was preping to clean it up for the night. He was trying to get into everything like normal.

I think he likes to do this so he can be on grass and gain more weight. He didnt like his diet I dont think.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

It's good to hear that your gelding is recovering, Ashley!
default_smile.png

Darn cattle panels, I just had a stallion get a front leg stuck in one yesterday (two year old hormone-crazy colt striking at mares, sigh). Luckily the farrier was here and saw him do it, because I was in the house soaking beet pulp when it happened. I ran out and we got him out of the fence, and he had just a very small scrape but his leg was sore from fighting the fence. My farrier told me that there are "horse panels" that are just like the cattle panels, but the spaces in the fence are more like 2" by 4" so hooves can't get through. I'm going to check into those for the new place. What others have said is so true though-- there is no 100 percent safe fence.

Back