Cuts, abrasions, slices ect.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
Well my little boy got himself into trouble last night. He is soo nosey and just had to see what was on the other side of the fence.

Well he did a number on his nose, he has a 1" by 1" cut, he pleaed the skin right back. The skin is still attached and vet says not to remove. The vet was not out for it was nothing they could do.

I cleaned it with Iodine and protected it with a cream I bought.

How long will this take to heal and do you think there will be a scar, he is a black horse by the way.

Thanks

Do as you are, keep it clean, keep the flies off it, keep it covered with anything healing. Vitamin E ia super. aloe also, I have alternative methods but if curious feel fre to PM me.

Is it in a spot you can hydro? I think keeping a wound hydroed goes a long way to prevent scarring. Keep the scab washed off and force it to heal from the inside out. What a worry they are!

NO iodine or peroxide! I have had more than one vet tell me these are too harsh and will damage tissue and leave scars!!

For 30+ years we have been using Wonder Dust- a black dust made by Farnam. If the would is wet or seepy- use it straight. If it is scabbed over and dry, mix as much as you can with plain ol' Vaseline (which even by itself works wonders!) and apply twice daily.

This has even healed nasty wire cuts and saddle sores for us that usually come in with white hair, with NO scars.

[SIZE=14pt]I like Furazone ointment or spray. Sylvadine ointment is a human burn remedy that also works great on preventing scaring.[/SIZE]

Lyn

One of our dwarves, Connie, sustained a deep cut to in her stifle area - a highly mobile area that would not have held stitches without tearing open with the way she would get to her feet.

I cleaned it with a Betadine product and used Aloe Heal on it and it healed nicely until she got into a fight with Freedom and tore it open again. :no:

Second time we did the Betadine scrub, rinsed and dried it and then did an aluminum wound spray (have to go to the barn to get the name of it) since I could not get the Aloe Heal product. A visitor to our farm was doubtful it would work and he chided me for not having the vet out right away but Connie healed perfectly and did not have a scar.
default_yes.gif
: She also managed to keep Freedom out of her way after the fact.
default_yes.gif
:

Check with your vet first but this worked for us. Luckily our girls tend to be well-behaved so wounds like this have not been a big problem for us.

Denise

Silversong Farm

http://www.camrosa.co.uk/

I can thoroughly recommend this. The recipe is ages old!!

Also for when the wounds have started to heal and you do not want them to scar use this

http://www.equestrian.co.uk/tackshop/image...es/ryq1116b.jpg

Cornucresine!!

It is sold as hoof ointment and it is brilliant as such, it also stops chewing (any kids that bite their nails??) makes nails grow- well, hooves are hair- so it works on almost everything.

I used it on a really REALLY nasty would on a big mare.

It took over three months to heal but it healed form the inside out, and it healed clean- it was SO deep I lost sinovial fluid from the joint.

The mare healed with a small scar and no lameness.

Both wonderful things, both OLD as the hills,!!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second the cornucresine! WOW! I used this last summer when Billie came home from his BAD lease. He had scabs from lice, and some that I don't know what they were from. And his feet were horrible. I used the cornucresine on his scabs and on his coronet bands and what an amazing difference! The hair started growing back overnight! His coronet bands softened, and within a few days the whole hooves where looking much more moisturized. And to top it off, my nails grew like weeds for weeks afterwards and were nice and strong and shiny. :lol: It smells kinda icky, but it actually grows on you. Kinda like pine tar maybe? Anyway, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the stuff, and would never be without it again!

This Cornucresine sounds great but where exactly can we get it? Is there a catalog avalaible we could order/ I'd sure like to get ahold of some of that!

Maxine

Please resist the urge to put any ointment on the wound. First rule in open wound care is if it's wet (open) do not use a wet dressing. In other words if it's dry, wet it and vice versa. Clean it with a gentle cleanser like Novasan and allow it to air dry and the body to do it's job by the blood scabbing. When the wound is sufficently closed in a week or so, then ointments are ok. At this point, all they will do is keep bacteria adhering to the wound and make the healing process take much longer. Scarring is the result of overzealous applications of unnessary medications which end up infecting the wound. I have never had scarring problems or healing issues by doing this.

Latest posts

Back