Cushings in mini's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krstn&Locket

Reaction score
I've noticed that my mini mare is growing in her hair weird, like curly hair, specially on her belly. She is getting really fuzzy already and none of the other minis have been getting their winter fuzz yet. I live in maine by the way. Could it be cushings, shes only four. Someone said I should get her tested. What are the signs I should be looking for?..

It could be insulin resistance - IR. You would have to have a blood test and have them request blood glucose and insulin. However, keep in mind that most Vet's do not consider it a problem. When I had it done his insulin level was 465 and his blood glucose was 100. I asked the Vet how the test looked and he said fine. But when I looked at it I could see there was a problem. There is a Yahoo group on Cushings/IR that can be very helpful. There are herb and dietary protocols that help.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

The first signs we noticed were the wavey hair and the lack of shedding. THe mare we had that had it was bad, and went down hill and gone with in 2 months. She was also pregnate and that makes it worse and progress faster.

The gelding started out with wavey hair and appeared foundered. He lost all muscel mass, and weight. He eventually started to lose his mind, that is when we decided to have him put down. He lived two and a half years before we let him go.

The gelding was 13 when he died(so was 10 and a half when we first noticed it.

The mare was 18.

My experience is not with a miniature, but with a Paint horse we had adopted. Pleasure was rather old but had a great attitude and cheerful spirit right up to the end. We battled his Cushings ups and downs for six years. It is treatable, but as far as I know, not cureable. Here's some of what we learned over those years of treating and caring for him.

Many Cushings horses are insulin resistant, thankfully our boy was not. The trademark "buffalo coat" is a common indicator, as is a lack of muscle tone along the topline, making them appear thin and unthrifty. The coat is wavey or curly, longer than usual or of uneven lengths, and does not shed well. Also, lameness is common but again, and thankfully, we did not experience this.

Pleasure would periodically do what I called "crash". And by this I mean he would suddenly and dramatically lose weight. I came up with a special mix for him of several different feeds and an oil that really helped him. Cushings can also be hard on their teeth and he rapidly lost several. I was just about to experiment with Chaste Tree Berry from the natural food market when he passed on quietly one evening. Because Cushings is a disorder of the pituitary gland, chaste tree berry, crushed and given over grain had been found to help ponies with it. It normally is used for "woman problems".

Thyroid tumors can mimic Cushings and an idicator used to help determine which gland is being affected prior to testing is the horse's attitude and demeanor. With Cushings, they are usually alert and still active, although some can also be lethargic. With thyriod, they are usually depressed.

Latest posts

Back