Cures for Rain Rot???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
Ok so my shetland has had this spot on his side since last summer where there is less hair that everywhere else and little scabby things. I thought it was ringworm,so i was putting toothpaste on it cause i read that it was a cure for ringworm. Anyway, i got my shetland out for his first big spring grooming. I noticed that the spot had gotten bigger. There are little pimple looking things surrounded by scabs. I pulled some of the scabs off and there was yellow stuff in them YUCK! But i cleaned it up and cut some of the hair off in that spot. I think its rain rot. But can it last that long???? If so anyone know of a cure?

listerine works better then anything else i know. but because your horse is raw i would dilute it a bit with water so it wont sting as bad. put it in a spray bottle and spray morning and night.

There is a product called Lym-Dip (would have to check and make sure that is the spelling and can look and get the brand as well) It is actually for dogs and cats, it's in about a pint size bottle and you mix it with water, you actually dilute it a lot.....then you can just pour it on the skin. ( I usually mix in an old mineral oil gallon jug or something similar - just not a milk jug as you definelty Don't want just a snap on lid as you'll stink to high heavens when the lid comes off)

Works for any skin conditions I have come across.......

The downfall is it stinks horrible - lots of sulfur in it.....so smells like bad rotten eggs. You need/have to use those thick dishwashing gloves so you don't get it on your skin as the stink will linger.

It like $10 for the bottle that makes several gallons of the stuff.

Another thing that works for rainrot is Capatan 50, mixed with water to make a paste. It's a whiteish power used as a fungicide for plants.

What Erica's recommending works GREAT! She told me about it 2 years ago and I used it then with good results. But, take her word for it stinking and the need to wear gloves. It smells terrible! It is so bad, but it made me laugh because I smelled it and gagged and for whatever reason, that's all it took to make me giggle like an idiot. However, the gloves I got were really getting in the way, so I took them off and used my bare hands. It was DAYS before I got get that stink off my hands -- at which point it was no longer a laughing matter
default_wacko.png
:

I had a stallion that got rain rot. My vet recommended MTG(mane,tail,groom). You can get it at your local feed store or Tractor Supply. It worked great and quickly. It also works for several other types of skin conditions and for making manes and tails grow. I love the stuff.

I bought an Appy mare years ago with a terrible case of rainrot. It was not yellow and pussy, but she was missing a lot of hair down her face and neck. A product called MicroTek just fixed it up.

I use Betadine soap or srub on my horses when they get a case of rain rot. It does stain your clothes and hands so wear gloves, but you just wet the spot, add the betadine and scrub the area good, let it sit for about 5 minutes then rinse it off well. Then you must dry the area really well.

Betadine worked really well for me in the past, give it a try!

I use Betadine soap or srub on my horses when they get a case of rain rot. It does stain your clothes and hands so wear gloves,
A little off topic, but... Ok, so I must be wierd; Betadine and iodine don't stain my skin. I'll have the coloring on my skin for less than 1/2 hour usually. [i should have been stained for weeks when my AQHA mare foaled, I used iodine on the navel and was covered with the stuff, but the stains were gone in no time. I used betadine and water to doctor my APHA mare several years ago when she had strangles, again the stains didn't last but a short time.]

That's the same thing I use. Works great, too.

I also want to point out that, when it has a lot of puss under the scabs, you may need to call the vet and put the horse on some antibiotics for a bit. And make sure that any grooming items (or anything else that touches the horse) are only used on that horse, and are disinfected. Otherwise you'll give it to the whole herd.

I use Betadine soap or srub on my horses when they get a case of rain rot. It does stain your clothes and hands so wear gloves, but you just wet the spot, add the betadine and scrub the area good, let it sit for about 5 minutes then rinse it off well. Then you must dry the area really well.

Betadine worked really well for me in the past, give it a try!

I used all the above on my mini mare with skin crud. The ONLY thing that killed it was Ericas Lym Dyp. However becareful with open sores as I had one one my hand (I didn't wear gloves) and it STUNG BIG TIME.

You can get it cheaper at the elevator its called Lime Sulfur.

I had a colt this year with a real stubborn fungus. Not sure exactly what started it but it was a tough one to get under control. The skin got thinkened and scabby and I originally thought ringworm, so I clipped around it and found that it was spread in a large circular pattern and not ringworm looking at all. Before I clipped it it was about the size of a quarter, it ended up being about 4 inches in diameter.

I think, and my vet agrees that it started with either a small fungus or perhaps a rub spot, it is on his hip bone, and became folliculitis, an infection of the hair follicle.

I had to treat it for 3 months to get it cured, the vet never recommended antibiotics but I rotated treatments of Nolvasan, Betadine, and Listerine. I sprayed the Listerine twice a day and about every second to third day I would scrub the area with either Betadine or Nolvasan solution. When I would scrub it I would try to remove any scabs that would come off, and yes sometimes it was bloody.

I think I would clip the area affected on your horse so you can see exactly what you are up against. You will want it to stay dry and with that much hair it will remain damp. A fungus needs to be dry to heal. One of the reasons I think my colt got so bad is I did not clip it at first and thought it to be ringworm and was just treating the area that had sluffed the hair. His coat was so thick that I did not feel the little pimples around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you guys say betadine scrub do you mean regular household betadine? And do i need to dilute it at all?

I used betadine on a mare I got in and it worked great. That is what the Vet told me to use.

I had a colt this year with a real stubborn fungus. Not sure exactly what started it but it was a tough one to get under control. The skin got thinkened and scabby and I originally thought ringworm, so I clipped around it and found that it was spread in a large circular pattern and not ringworm looking at all. Before I clipped it it was about the size of a quarter, it ended up being about 4 inches in diameter.

I think, and my vet agrees that it started with either a small fungus or perhaps a rub spot, it is on his hip bone, and became folliculitis, an infection of the hair follicle.

it.
When in doubt, have the vet out!
default_yes.gif
:

I had horses with fungus...not fun! Clipping, betadine... and that worked... folliculitis is not fun - Mercy had that at dirty big horse farm we boarded at years ago... it was so bad she could not jump until it healed as jumping cracked open the sores. :smileypuke:

Rainrot we had needed LymDip and SMZs prescribed by veterinarian plus clipping of areas....one horse had it at farm I boarded at and they ALL got it even though brushes were not shared and everyone cleaned their own. I would guess as the pitchforks were not sterilized from stall to stall, that is how it was carried....

Good luck!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Yes it is just betadine scrub likeyou would have in your house. If you buy it at a feed store it is cheaper but it is the same stuff for humans.

I wet cotton and put betadine on it and rub it pretty aggressively and change the cotton repeatedly until all loose scabs and dirt are gone.

The reason I rotated is it took so long to cure and my vet suggested that rotating would be better than using the same thing every day as it would eventually not respond to the same product.

Latest posts

Back