Crap, crap, crap!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I have to preface this post by saying we had a GREAT time at Nationals. I'll post pictures when my computer gets home with Mom & Dana. I saw nothing that bothered me too much...except maybe one REALLY tall, beautiful bay horse :eek: We had LOTS of fun and loved visiting with everyone...and shocking them with my huge baby belly!!! [/SIZE]

Now for the post :no:

I wanted to use other words, but figured I'd edit myself a bit...

One of the babies we took to Nationals (all of the other horses are still there with Mom & Dana) died last night at our vet's....Dammit!! This was our oldest mini filly from this year (6 months), healthy, fat & absolutely STUNNING!! She actually GAINED weight at the show when most babies will drop a bit of weight from stress...it was so weird.

She got sick (not critically ill, but had bad diarrhea) on Wednesday. I had Mom & Dana treat and observe her at the show. By the next day she had improved (no more diarrhea and she had no fever) quite a bit, but I still wanted our vet to see her. Mom brought her 1/2 way to meet me and I took her into the vet Thursday afternoon. She died last night (Friday) about 11 PM. My vet didn't call, as she was afraid I'd go into labor. At this point I'm more curious about why she crashed so fast :no:

The vet initially thought it was E-coli or Salmonella, as she was exhiiting only digestive symptoms with a slight elevation in temperature, but yesterday morning she started roaring while breathing and eventually died, despite massive meds and constant care, of congestive heart failure.

She's doing a full necrospy now with samples of all tissues being sent to the local hospital for testing. She has some theories, but we don't want to speculate until we get the necropsy results. If it's what she suspects, it's very rare and not preventable or contagious.....but still very, very rare.

Poor Pheobe....poor pretty girl.....

Wind to thy winds my sweet......Broadway's Lady Sings The Blues...

9664d847.jpg

We also have GORGEOUS show pictures of her that Mom is bringing back with her.....darn!

Laura,

I'm sorry for the loss of your beautiful filly. I am happy to hear though that you had a wonderful time at Nationals.

Sheryl

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, she was just stunning! I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

Oh Laura....I am so very sorry to hear about your loss... :no: :no: She was such a gorgeous filly!! (((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Oh no Laura!
default_crybaby.gif
: I'm sitting her crying. I'm SO sorry!!! She was a beauty!

I missed seeing you, Dana and Mia again this year.

So sorry about your filly, Laura! Glad your vet had your health in consideration as well.

Fran

What a lovely little girl..........I am very sorry.

When you find out the test results, would you let us know?

MA

AWW THATS SO SAD AND SO BITTER SWEET, IM SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS :no:

Aw. That is SO HARD to lose them so young and full of promise.
default_sad.png

Please keep us informed and try to take care of yourself and rest up...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Liz M.

Oh Laura, how awful to have lost a filly, I'm so sorry!
default_sad.png

Please let us know what the vet finds out. Seems like we always have to have some bad with the good doesn't it, sigh...

How awful and shocking. I'm so sorry.......she was a beauty. Please post with the necropsy results. It would be informative to know what happened. Please take care of yourself!

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful filly. Please keep us posted on the results of the necropsy.

My heart goes out to you on the loss of the baby coming home from Nationals. Please let us know what the findings are and good luck to you with your human baby coming.

I am so sorry about your beautiful filly. :no:

Laura, I am so sorry for your loss... :no:

Laura, I am so sorry you lost that beautiful filly. I had a very simular thing happen a few years back...she was already entered in a show and she got up one morning , would not eat, few hours later was running a fever and by 9 pm that evening she was gone. The vet did an autopsy and they sent tissue off and never found out one thing.!! It was like everything just shut down, no urine, poop, no food or drink....just weird. Please let us know if you find out anything from the autopsy.

Clara

Latest posts

Back