cow/horse panels VS goat panels

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
I plan on putting panels around a small wooden fence that we already have. Tractor Supply has both types of panels and Im leaning toward the goat panels as they are a lot cheaper than the others although they are both 16ft. There will be posts at appox. every 8ft. Is there a reason I should not use the goat panels and buy the more expensive $44.00 cow panels ( goat = 16.99 ) No big horses here!! Thanks for your opinions, Heidi

Has anyone ever had a horse get his hoof stuck in the holes....they appear big enough but Im just a little cautious!!

How tall are the goat panels? The cattle panels are 52".

Before we switched our horse fencing over to cattle panels, we had field fencing on oaks posts and the horses really stretched it out in some areas.

I'm wondering, because I have not ever seen them, if the goat panels are sturdy enough to hold up to minis rubbing on them?

This past Spring and the fall before, I bought A LOT of cattle panels from both TSC and our local Co-Op. I know I didn't pay more than $20/each for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
At Tractor Supply I believe the "Horse" panels are the high dollar ones, heavy, smaller squares, etc... The "cattle" panel is probably what you want ... same here at around $16.00 each and the sqaures are 4" x 4" where the "horse panels are half that size. Big difference in weight and cost! The horse panels are nice to use to seperate adjoining pens to keep exposure of animals to a minimum. I used "horse" panels to seperate two pens where a stallion may be housed. On the cattle panels, you can use a post on either end and one in the middle and do fine with that setup....more support would warrant 2 posts in the middle and one at each end.

When you say goat panels, do you mean the ones around 36" or so tall and of the gage wire like the wire cattle panels. They should work for mini's unless you have someone that might try to jump them. Comparatively they would be the equivalent of a large horse and most field fence, horse panels etc.

I recommend the cattle pannels. The squares are large enough that if a leg does through them, they can pull it out themselves. If you think a hoof will get caught, it probably will.

My pens are made of what we call "hog" panels. They are 36" in height by 16 ft in length. I think they may the same thing that you are calling goat panels.

If I could afford it I would use them for pasture fencing too. I placed T-posts every 4 feet. At 8ft apart the wire gives too much.

Oh gosh, thanks for all your replys, now Im not sure which ones I was looking at. I thought they said goat but I dont recall how tall they were but Im sure they were 16.00. I think I would want the squares to be at least 4x4 for safety sake. Guess I will have to make another trip to T.S. and do some measuring. Jill, I have field fence in a couple of pastures now and it was beautiful the 1st couple months but my boys did start rubbing on them and they did stretch them on certain places ...I had to put 1 hot wire about chest high around both those pastures just to keep them off...no more rubbing!! No stallions here so Im hoping the lighter goat/cattle panels will be strong enough. Karin I think your right about putting posts alittle closer than I had orinally thought, thanks. 36" isnt very tall but I think with the 6" board above that it may work. Well off to T.S. in the a.m. Thanks for everyones imput !! Heidi

[We use the 48" tall 2" X 4" panels between stalloins and the work fine. The brood mare pastures and youngsters are the 48" tall 4" X 4" and they work fine. So that is what we do and I love them, no more fixing fence. LOL
default_aktion033.gif

Carla, thanks...just wondering if you purchased your goat panels from T.S. as they seem alot more expensive than I thought they were here in Fla.

we went with 20' goat panels here

the cattle panel squares are big enough to get a minis foot hung up in it

the one thing my grandpa taught me is that if it CAN happen with a horse it will

i have seen some 1 in a million chance accidents and am not going to risk it

dawn

The panels we have, cattle panels, the openings are 4x4, which a miniature horse can easily get a foot through and back out. I can't see how they could get a foot caught in what we have, because it's so many times the diameter of a hoof
default_yes.gif
Combination panels, where you have narrow rectangles at ether the top or bottom (depending on how you install) could catch a hoof, but we put those at the top, and not along a stallion line.

This is what our panels look like -- they are 16' long, 52" tall, and on painted oak posts every 8':

DunIT%20and%20Bacardi%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20221.jpg

Latest posts

Back