Could not wait to share.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to add. You can spend several hours in a quiet room and make a recording of animal sounds. Then you can play it for him when he's alone. I did that for Max to learn all his animal sounds. Start the recording by saying something like, "What does the duck say? Quack, quack quack." Repeat this three times and go on to another bird or animal. Pretty soon when you ask him a question, like "What does the duck say?", he will just answer, "Quack, quack, quack."

Our birds also all learned to sing "Row, row, row your boat." Pretty funny.

Remember with Amazons, they tend to sound like the person who teaches them, unlike Macaws who always speak in their own tones. So if your hubby has a very deep voice, it might be better for you to make the recording.

Lizzie

Hi Mary and Glen, congradualtions on you new parrot!!!!!

I have only raised cockatoo's so can only use that as a reference. I would think over time you may be able to change his name, just use it along with Logan--at different times of course.

My last bird is a 4 yr old goffins cockatoo that kept getting thrown out of the nest by his parents, so I hand raised him. His name is Tickle and he on his own calls himself Tickey or Tick depending on his mood.

A couple of things I would suggest is that if you have young ones around they just be careful to not poke at him--start to put a finger up and then pull it away when they are scared--parrots tend to see this as a game and it encourages biting. Also if you ever feel he is becoming dominant keep him below your eye level--this shows you are over him.

If you have other ?'s please feel free to email me, Rita

thanks again, I am sure I will have a lot more questions once he is here.

So glad to have this wonderful forum, when in need you guys are the greatest.

So will wait now and hope it will not be too long.

We are to be getting him next weekend but depends on our weather.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back