Could I get some advice please?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCC

Reaction score
Our minis are coming home this weekend and we gotta get our stalls built!

We want to have one fairly good sized stall for if the vet ever needs to lay one down and have room to work , or for foaling.. so what would be a good size for that would you guys say??

and also just a regular box stall size. Our horses aren't usually in a whole lot so we don't need them extra huge. normally they're only in for feeding and bad storms
default_smile.png

thanks for any advice!!

Do you have "A" or "B" size minis?

I have mostly B, and find that even the biggest of them is very comfortable in an 8' wide stall - even with a foal - if they get exercise time each day. My vet and farrier are both comfortable doing work in that size stall with a mini. The only thing we can't do is surgery (like gelding - but we do that outside on the grass anyway.) I have one stall that is only 6' wide and I hate it.

As far as length goes, personally, I like having a longer stall as I find that many horses will make their messes in the back and keep the front clean. It saves bedding and the horse stays cleaner.

If I ever get that new barn, the stalls will probably be 8x12 with the ability to remove partitions between every 2 so that they can be opened up to 16x12 stalls for foaling or sick horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think 8 x 12 would be the smallest stall I'd want to go.

I have foaled out B minis in a 12 x 12 stall.

Andrea

Our normal stall size for years was 10x10 or 11x11 for miniatures and horses alike. However that said we have recently been extremely limited with space in the new barn and have had to divide one 11x11 stall. This new layout works great and I feel that the horses are more comfortable now with this layout. I defiantly plan to divide more stalls in the future as they still have lots of room to move, roll and lie down. Most mini farms actually have smaller stalls and it works out well.

I have had a horse gelded in his stall in the past and I do not think divided stalls would work for this, however I know that I'll always have a 10x10 stall for foaling or vet usage if need be, as we have large horses too.

I would think in a perfect world, 6x6 (or 8x8 if needed) stalls would be best for miniatures, but from what I've seen the normal in general is either much smaller or much bigger. Miniature seem to adjust accordingly and I think almost any size will work. Best of luck!

Edited to add that my guys get lots of time out side, and are inside at night or during poor weather. They love to get out and play but are just as happy at night to come inside to their beds. Each knows their own stall - which I find neat.
default_smile.png
Happy building!!

Just a suggestion - because we know how easy it is to add more minis. Consider stalls that have removable partitions so that when partitions are removed you have 2 reasonable sized stalls (and room for twice as many minis!).

We have two 12' x 12' (leftover big horse) stalls. They are really big unless one has to be confined. My 34" mare can literaly trot around the stall ( and does).

We also have two 8' x 8' with a removable divider wall with the intent to use it without the wall for foaling and with the wall when we had a mare in for breeding.

Well, we got an extra horse so now we have to use all 4 stalls. The 8x8 are really small and overnight (mine are stalled every night) they are totally trashed. It appears that we are using a lot more bedding since they are trashing them each night.

I guess if I had the chance to start over I'd go for 10 x 10 which is what most stalls are at shows. That size seems to work well with enought room for them to move, do their business, and still lay down.

I started out with 10x10 stalls in my barn I have 2 A size minis (29.00 inches) 3 b size minis (36-38.00) and 3 shetlands. Since we have a lot less horses now then we did I have made all but one have a 10x20 stall and I personally feel more comfortable with them having stalls that large even though they are only in during really bad weather and overnight.

My foaling stalls are 16x16 and after having them and having a vet myself and another adult working on a bad dystocia.. I would not want to go any smaller if given the chance - i know many people do get by with smaller foaling stalls but I just know the extra room we had so we were not on top of eachother really came in handy

No less than 10 X 10 here either.

10 X 20 for foaling.

Great , thanks for the replies.. my barn isn't very big.. so I'm going to have to go with smaller than I'd like i guess !
default_sad.png
but i'm sure they'll be happy
default_smile.png
they'll be outside most of the time anyway
default_smile.png

Great , thanks for the replies.. my barn isn't very big.. so I'm going to have to go with smaller than I'd like i guess !
default_sad.png
but i'm sure they'll be happy
default_smile.png
they'll be outside most of the time anyway
default_smile.png
Most of our mini stalls are 6x8 but they have removable partitions so they can be made into 12x8 for foaling stalls.We only have one B size but find the stalls are big enough for most of ours and if I ever manage to cut back I can make the stalls bigger LOL.

Ours stalls are all 14' deep, and they are set up 15' wide with the capacity to divide them in half making them about 7.5' x 14'. They are all divided but my foaling stall and a couple I keep for big horses, stallions, or anything else that needs room. If your horses are out most of the time stall size isn't as critical....until you have an injured or sick horse that is stallbound. For your foaling stall, I'd go as large as you possibly can (and the suggestion to plan ahead for more horses is a good one, ask anyone here
default_wink.png
)

Jan

In the one barn I built I wanted to make the stalls big horse 'friendly' for resale value. My stalls were 12 X 12 and then I divided them in half with removable partitions for the miniatures - so 6 X 12. It was a perfect size for my 'A' size minis. All stalls were connected to turn out pens, so the horses had lots of room to move around in. They were shut in their stalls in bad weather, feed time, etc. I wouldn't want to foal out in a stall smaller than 10 X 10, though.

Latest posts

Back