Costume class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I am attending a show in a couple of weeks and while I don't normally do costume class since it is so close to halloween I can't resist entering this time. I haven't entered a costume class since I was a youth and don't usually watch. So my question is this, This is a rated AMHR show and I was wondering if you are allowed to use paint on the horse? I know there is a no dye rule which is why I am asking and wondering if there was an exception for costume. I would of couse remove it for any following classes. Thanks

For costume, anything goes as long as it's safe. Riding, driving, leading... Any number of horses/dogs/people per entry...

I believe painting is okay. Just remember that it will be a pain to remove if you have a halter class right after.

We have used paint. We use child safe non-toxic tempera paints. A couple of notes: the colors tend to fade into the darker coats, so we needed to have the time to allow for drying and applying a second or third coat for it to show well (white coats show it up with one coat usually.) Yellow, red and white show the best on the dark coats. Be prepared to shampoo out the paint (in the painted areas after). Prehaps a good green spot remover would work too. We didn't try that since the horses didn't have classes until the next day or were done showing in these cases. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Performancemini thanks for the tips. I 'll have to check what order the classes are that he's showing in, I may be rethininking the paint thing.

Latest posts

Back