Convertible Gloves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Belle

Reaction score
I am looking for a good pair of dry, warm, durable gloves for winter horse chores and I am looking at those convertible ones that have open fingertips or you can cover them like a mitten.

Do ya'll have any suggestions on where to find some good ones. I can find them all ove ther internet made of yarn and knitted, but I need the rugged outdoor chore kind. One problem I have always had with gloves is my small hands, even women's small sizes usually leave me with extra fabric in the fingertips, very annoying. I thought haveing the fingertips open might help, but I can keep them warm with the mitten part closed too.

Similar to these, but these are men's sizes. http://www.onlygloves.com/winter-gloves/me...fm#ReviewHeader

These are probably not heavy duty enough for what you have in mind but just in case they'd be good for you or someone else, I really like those inexpensive "magic" gloves with the little rubber grip pimples on the palm. I use those year after year for chores and also for riding/driving. They are thin enough for me to manipulate whatever I'm working with and give me enough dexterity to drive/ride easily. They are so inexpensive that I don't mind having a few pairs on hands for if the current pair gets a hole or wears out. They are not water proof though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Misty, go to Tractor Supply. They have the perfect barn gloves insullated for winter and a big selection. I just got a pair of Carhart gloves for Dan yestarday and they do come small enough to fit you in S and XS. I'm going back and get a pair for me.

just today, i got my order from hammacher-schlemmer. they're heated (battery-operated) gloves. but, they're much too bulky so i'm giving them to gary's brother for x-mas. i ordered a pair of battery-operated heated glove LINERS from brookstone. they are back ordered but should be here in the next couple of weeks. i have NEVER found gloves that keep my fingers warm!

TN Belle, i have been thinking about you. how are you feeling these days??

Thanks for asking!! I am doing just fine so far, chemo doesn't affect me as bad as it did, I guess I am used to it by now. I have an appointment today to decide what's next in my treatment as the particular chemo I am on now is to be used for only a year. I can't beleive it has been that long ago, still seems like yesterday. I am scared to death because of the tumor still there, I feel like I need to stay on a chemo of sorts. It has shrunk some, but since it will always be there, it is always on my mind, literally, haha. As my horses are coming home next week for the first time in the six years I have owned them, I am scared to death that a new treatment will make it harder for me to take care of them. I am a nervous wreck anyway, I have only had them completely in my care at shows. But I am also so excited to get to enjoy them everyday. 90% of my hair has come back except for the one hand size bald area on the left side of my head, above my ear, where the radiation was directed and the hair will never grow back. I now have a couple of different wigs to play with until my real hair grows long enough to cover the bald area.

WalMart has those gloves in the sporting section. My husband uses them to go hunting small game. When I was working at the stable, I wore those "magic" knit gloves with sheepskin lined mittens over them. My fingers (and toes) never stay warm enough in the winter no matter what I do, though.
default_no.gif

so glad to hear you are doing well with the chemo! i know it must be hard to "relax" when you're facing the unknown but you have been in my thoughts and prayers all along. you're obviously a strong woman, you'll beat this for sure!

Judy from Zachary Farms (TN farm too) got some of gloves that sound like what you are looking for either from TSC or some mail order place. I will try to find out from her.

If you have a tack supply store that sells racing equipment for race horses, see if they have SSG gloves. I only say this because racing supply stores are the only places that I have seen them for sale here in NJ. Back when I jogged Standardbred horses, I bought a pair and loved them. Very warm, water proof, and I was able to do things while wearing them. Normally, gloves get in my way when I am trying to do work around the barn so I never wore gloves until I came across the SSG's. They come in ladies sizes too.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

I keep looking at some in a catalog - maybe National Geographic - for completely waterproof gloves and socks. The Bionic gloves look good too, kind of pricey for barn gloves though. I go through a few pair of gloves a year - wear the thin soft leather ones in the summer to feed, and a variety of heavier ones in the winter.

Try www.hoofprints.com - it's a farriers glove supply catalog and I haven't ordered yet from them, but the selection is great!

Jan

These are not convertable gloves. But where I am located, I need a glove I can water, feed, do beet pulp, and then turn around, put halters on,, then to harness up, etc, you get the point. Well, I finally found some gloves that really work , my hands stay dry and warm and if I get how and my hands start to sweat, these gloves wick the wetness from my hands very well and all dry and warm. They are called HOTFINGERS, with hot wrap technology. they are $40, but money very well spent. I am thinking about trying to buy another pair for next year, just in case. they are lightwieght, not bulky, fingers bend very easily, and have a thin rubber like/ grippy palm and finger tips too, oh if I did or didnt say, these are waterproof

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back