conformation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aimee005

Reaction score
Okay, dont laugh... This may be a dumb question but Im still learning about Miniature Horses, lol.
default_rolleyes.gif

Ive been seeing a lot of people talking about conformation, especially when you go to buy a mini. Could someone explain this to me? What exactly is conformation?

Conformation is simply how a horse is put together.
default_smile.png

Here is a good article on equine conformation. Equine Conformation.

The same basics apply to Miniature horses as any other horse.
default_smile.png

There are no dumb questions. If you need an answer then it is important to you. Ask any question you like and hopefully someone will send you either an answer or directives to the answer like MerelyAmanda did.

There are no dumb questions. If you need an answer then it is important to you. Ask any question you like and hopefully someone will send you either an answer or directives to the answer like MerelyAmanda did.
Okay
default_biggrin.png

I recently had a book published on this
default_smile.png
Its in my signature. Proceeds are going to cmhr. I wrote this especially for people new to miniature horses.
default_smile.png

I ordered kays book and its great and easy to read, even comes with a DVD
default_smile.png
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Ill have to check it out. Im thinking about ordering that book "Miniature Horses, A Veterinary Guide for Breeders & Owners" too, I heard some good reviews on it.

For a quick overview of conformation I wrote and illustrated an article on our website. You can check it out here Maple Mountain Miniatures Star News I hope it helps you out!

And I agree with dannigirl, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked!

default_smile.png
Its in my signature. Proceeds are going to cmhr. I wrote this especially for people new to miniature horses.
default_smile.png

I just wanted to say that I recently purchased your book and it came today. I haven't gotten a chance to read it from cover to cover, but so far I love it.
default_biggrin.png

It is very well done and easy to understand. I also love the fact you emphasize that correct conformation is not just about "pretty" but about the horse's health and comfort. I have heard so many people say "Well, we're not breeding for the show-ring" or something similar. They never seem to realize how conformation has to do with so much more than that! Thank you for explaining it so well in your book.
default_smile.png

Also, it is awesome to see things directly related to Miniature Horses. I've studied conformation for big horses, but this book helped me apply that knowledge to Miniatures so much better.

Thank you so much for the kind words! It was so important to me in putting the book together that it be easy to understand! Im so glad you liked it
default_smile.png

Kay

Amanda... that was a very good article. I enjoyed reading it!

Aimee... Are you still going to the Ocala show this weekend? We'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

Cool! Ill have to check it out. Im thinking about ordering that book "Miniature Horses, A Veterinary Guide for Breeders & Owners" too, I heard some good reviews on it.

Yes, "Miniature Horses, A Veterinary Guide for Breeders & Owners" is EXCELLENT. It is a Bible every owner/breeder should have. I gave a copy to my vet. And I have included a copy of this book as part of my horse sales, new owners of minis really appreciate it.

A must get. Wendy

default_smile.png
default_smile.png
Thanks for doing this book. I just got it from Small Horse Press. It is excellent. I especially like the photos, makes it simple to understand. Wendy

default_smile.png
default_smile.png
Thanks for doing this book. I just got it from Small Horse Press. It is excellent. I especially like the photos, makes it simple to understand. Wendy

Latest posts

Back