Conformation flaws or Dwarf traits?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrselady

Reaction score
We haven't had him long and do plan on gelding.

AMHA Circle L Miniatures Golden Rock "Rocky"

27"

Foaled 05/06/2007

Reg. as Palomino

I am very much able to take the truth on his conformation. I am just learning on mini conformation and honesty would help me more now than sugar coating.

He's not out of any big name "show" horses.. sire : Triangle TS Pure Whiskey Dam: Char Mars Maid O Gold

Picture288.jpg

Picture291.jpg

I see a few.. he seems to have a roman nose, short neck.. what else?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

I am not a conformation expert by any means. I do not see any dwarf traits. I see his back is not straight.

I think you have a nice horse - not perfect - but, I think he is pretty.

I think he's not dwarfy, but just a pet quality colt.

He doesn't have what I would consider a "roman nose" as he does have somewhat of a dish but it is a very plain head for a miniature. And his neck isn't the shortest I've seen but it's not the long, refined neck that is popular in the show ring.

Additionally, his shoulder is a bit straight, his leg-to-body ratio has somewhat short legs, he is butt high which is not bad for a yearling.

Enjoy him though!!! He sure is a little guy.

Andrea

His back is a bit long and his legs and neck are short. But, I am sure he is a horse that you can love. Maybe you can drive him and just have a ball with him. You could even show ihim in driving, halter obstical or hunter/jumper if you want to show. I wouldn't worry about weather he is show quality (meaning Halter Quality) since you are gelding him.

I see him as sorrel with flaxen mane and tail and a very cute little pet! Enjoy him!
default_wub.png
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
Hi,

I would say he's isn't probally a dwarf. And he is just pet quality. He is plain head put has a nice kind eye. He is lacking in his neck, and is very short/thick necked and it does tie in very low (which his neck ) could "possibly" have very mild dwarf characteristics... He does have a short back (which is good).... He is deeper in his girth area which makes him look longer in his back, which he isn't..... He has a low tail set, which is not favorable for halter, but for driving and just enjoying it doesn't matter.

Thank you so much!!

He has some personal issues we have to deal with before we can start training to cart. He is very head shy and I want him to overcome that before I push him to do learn anything else. His trust is coming around .. when we got him, you could not catch him, pet him or anything. Within 2 weeks, he's coming right up to us in the pasture and you can pet him anywhere but his ears. We're working on it though.

Again, thanks for the critiques, it helps me to understand what I'm looking at!!

He is very cute.

Sorrel, not palomino..

Nothing screams dwarf to me and even looking closer, I do not personally see a dwarf. Conformation faults, however.. yes.

I'd recommend a better nutrition program. He needs a lot of filling out..

Without knowing what you're feeding..

Off hand I'd recommend more concentrates - grain, beet pulp, alfalfa, etc.. more nutrients.. and a good all around supplement and a deworming program ( I am sure you're doing this, but for reference ).. Something to reduce that belly and put the weight where it's needed.. along his back and hips..

As for faults, he is very front end heavy so to speak.. thick neck, larger head, "butt-high".. and his front legs look rough.. though it could just be the photos.. He looks perhaps club footed.. and to mention short in the forelimbs..

I'd also recommend a good farrier.. his hooves look like they need some corrective work.

I see him as an excellent pet.. Not show quality.. maybe not even driving right now.. -let him mature-

Good luck, keep us posted.

The pics do him no justice as far as color... I'll try to post another one with a better view on his color. My camera just isn't helping.. lol I have changed his feed since I've gotten him.. he was only on 12% all around feed. But I have since changed the feed and added in some beet pulp and alfalfa. I have also wormed (once) do you recommend the power dose (dont know if thats what you call it, but its when you worm 5 days in a row)? Oh I wouldnt think of starting him on driving just yet, as I stated we have some trust issues with him. I do have a farrier scheduled for next week, all depending on how bad IKE hits us.

Picture312.jpg

Still look sorrel? I am sending his transfer papers off within the next few days and would like to have his correct color on there.

Thanks so much

Picture312.jpg
Still look sorrel? I am sending his transfer papers off within the next few days and would like to have his correct color on there.

Thanks so much
I think he looks possibly silver bay, looks to have the smokey colored stockings on his legs. Definitely not palomino. Cute little guy, enjoy him.

he does have smokey grey below all knees, its really hard to see.

Thanks so much!!!

I agree with the others........He is a cute potential gelding and probably a silver bay. I do not see a dwarf.

He does have some confirmational flaws but he's not a dwarf. I'd also go with silver bay. He's for sure not palomino though. Lots of luck with him...he's a cute little guy!

Latest posts

Back