Coming to new home and dealing with the heat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoutgirl

Reaction score
So my mini's, (3yr old mare and almost two yr old gelding) are getting transported to my house on Wednesday and we are under a heat advisory here in WI for the whole week. Upper 90's and humid, feels like 100 degrees. HOT!!! Not typical WI weather. So I am worried about the horse's being stressed from the move and the heat. They have a barn each with a stall that they can go into if needed. I guess I am looking for some tips or ideas on things to do to lessen the stress of the move and the heat. First time horse owner here. Any advice appreciated. I am getting so excited, it has been two months of preparing for their arrival and I just want it to go as smooth as possible.
default_smile.png

Wet them down! My guy is so thankful for a bath on a hotday. Soak them all the way to the skin. Give them the opportunity to use shade. They should be fine then
default_smile.png

Yep, hose them down. Soak the hay for a half hour to an hour ahead of time or give the some soaked hay cubes to keep them hydrated. Skip the dry feed for the first few days, the starches just complicate things if they are already stressed. Make sure they have a salt block and in case they aren't drinking enough, have some electrolytes and probiotics on hand. Vet suggested a product called horse quencher to me,but last night in a pinch I discovered that my mare loved the broth from the alfalfa cubes mixed with electrolytes and molasses.

where will they be coming from? how long will they be traveling? good answers above! unless they are coming from a place that is very cold your weather shouldn't be a problem.

For me the main thing in preparing was to make sure that you don't change anything drastic when it comes to feeding. I always recommend having all the same feed the horse is used to having on hand. When a new horse comes it's important to make sure it's drinking and make sure it is passing manure, feed like mentioned above to begin with.

Congratulations! I remember when I was waiting for my first 3 to get here! I was so excited to the point of being a nervous wreck, and I was not a new comer to horses just to minis! ..wish I'd discovered them sooner.

Thanks for the advice so far. That's exactly where I am, excited to the point of being a nervous wreck! LOL They are local only about an hour away. This heat we are experiencing is not normal and it just started yesterday, we went from 70's during the day, and 40's during the night, to 90's with heat indexes in the 100's overnight. Gotta love WI! So as far as feeding I have bought the same feed they are on, Purina Strategy. Would it be good to just keep feeding them like they are? The breeder said they are getting 1 lb of feed and a flake of hay each, spit between two feedings. Or hold the feed and just feed hay for a few days until they get settled. I am going horsey shopping today and was already thinking of picking up electrolytes and probiotics. What probiotics do you recommend? I think by the weekend the weather is supposed to cool down some. I just worry about changing things too much. I just can't wait for them to be here and be settled and me knowing they are doing good so I can relax and start enjoying them!

Not necessarily a recommendation, but Probios brand probiotics are usually the easiest to find, it comes in paste or powder (mine won't eat the powder); they also have treats, but I don't know if they work as good as the paste or powder (I have used the treats, and all of mine readily eat the treats).

I think you are overthinking the move. 1 hour away isn't that drastic. Having their own food, plenty of water, shade, and hay to munch on should do them just fine.

If being sprayed with water freaks them out, I wouldn't do that right away. If you have a hose end sprayer that mists, that might be a better option. My water-phobic horse will stand under a mist, but she runs for shelter if I turn it to Shower.

Shade, water, salt. I think you'll be fine. If the trip was several hours, it might be different, but one hour isn't a big deal.

You might consider setting up a sprinkler in their area; they can get under if they want, or just stand and let air blow through the water to cool them.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am probably over thinking everything. I am a worrier to no end! Nervous first time horse owner. Lol Got some probiotics and electrolytes today while out shopping. So feeling like I got my bases covered. Now they can just get here, get settled so I can stop worrying and enjoy them!
default_smile.png

They should be fine and are much better able to deal with heat/humidity than most people are. If you are stalling, make sure there is good air flow....a fan blowing down on them in each stall is an inexpensive and simple solution. 20" 3-speed box fans are really inexpensive at the 'big box' stores.

I love an overachiever when it comes to horse care. An hour is not a huge deal but I would do a good round of ulcer meds. I always do ulcer meds for a move or weaning or anything that is out of the norm. You can't go wrong covering your bases and I think a change such as a new location and new everything is about as stressful as it can get. Ok showing is as stressful as it can get, but I also would not remove their food and keep on giving what they are getting because that would be yet another change so keeping it normal as possible would be a plus .. You don't want them to show up and think they aren't going to get fed in their new homes and that to me would stress a horse out and cause anxiety. How would you explain that one to them? I actually wouldn't do the electrolytes because if you add it to the food or water, that's another change and they may not eat or drink so that could backfire on you. I'd wait on that too. To keep them cool, use box fans in the barn and do hose them down by all means when they are settled in. That's just my humble opinion for what its worth.

Thanks everyone! I am just glad I got my bases covered so if something does happen at least I have stuff on hand. What ulcer treatment do you use? I saw a few of them when I was at the store, thought about it and didn't get it. Darn! I think I will just keep on eye on the water buckets and urine output before I resort to the electrolyte, but it is nice that it was suggested so I have it if I need it. I did buy them the treats that have probiotic's in them. Don't know if they will work as good as the paste but it sounds like horse's will readily take them so I thought that was better for a first time horse owner than trying to give paste to a horse for the first time.

Congrats on your new horses! Don't forget to share pics with us
default_smile.png
I too over think these things to death. I'm in the middle of a purchase myself and I fear I'm driving the breeder 'round the bend. LOL! I may have to take her a bottle of her favorite wine when I pick the horse up.

I hear you on that one! My breeder was wonderful. She put up with most of my newbie questions and worries.
So the ponies are home and seem to be settling in good. They are peeing and pooping! I did notice that the mare Latte's poop was a little on the runny side . Best way to describe it is soft serve ice cream. Sorry TMI!
default_sad.png
Should this be a huge concern? The breeder told me to just feed them like normal so I gave them their grain and hay. We did line the trailer with straw and they ate some of that. I was worried about them eating it.
default_sad.png
They were on pasture at the breeder and she did start to grain them before I took them so they would be used to it. Their paddock here the grass is pretty sparse and brown due to the lack of rain and the heat we have had this summer. Other than the runny poo they seem to be doing good. I just want to do right by them.

The loose manure is not something to panic about just yet. Just a sign that she's had a change and is a bit stressed. Just keep things as calm and normal in the next few days to a couple of weeks. I'm sure she'll be right as rain in no time.

Thanks for the calming words. The loose stool seems to have cleared up this morning already. Did my first poop pick up and I found nice little horsie apples! I think they made it through the night better than me. I woke up twice and had to check on them. Lol They were doing their little horsey thing.
default_smile.png
I am in heaven I can see them out my kitchen and living room widow. Doing the dishes this morning was enjoyable!

I think I needed to relax more than the horse's! Drive home went good, getting them out of the trailer went awesome, eating and pooping and settled in. I have taking things slow letting them get used to everything. Haltered them both and have led them around. The mare needs a little patience training, the gelding is the sweetest thing ever! I am in heaven!

Just a note on high humidity and hosing a horse down: When the humidity is high, this means there is a high moisture level (water vapor) in the air. Since the air is already saturated, when you hose your horse down, that water on the skin has nowhere to go, as it can't just magically evaporate into already-saturated air. This means that the water/moisture left on your horse just begins to heat up.

I live in southeastern Louisiana, so this is life for us down here. I feel awful for the horses when the temps and humidity levels are high, like it has been lately, bit providing shade and plenty of fresh, cool, and clean water is key. If you can get some fans on them, that's a bonus (however, we don't have fans up because my Arab thinks they've been sent by Satan to eat him whole). But I don't just hose them down, as that would leave them more miserable than they were before, because now they are even more wet (on top of all the sweat that cannot evaporate) and hot. It's kind of like a sauna.

Latest posts

Back