Colour Question - another horse page 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade10

Reaction score
So im curious to know what colour you all think my horse is. His dam is a buckskin (she has had a palomino foal to a chestnut) and his sire is a black.

Cooper is now 5 years old and is only a pet so it doesnt matter what colour he is, just curious what you all think. I think he is either a black (that sunbleaches) or a smoky black. (yes i do know that its impossible to tell without testing)

This Cooper as a foal and his dam and sire:

Cocoa & colt.JPG

As he gets older

cooper 4.jpgP6050011.JPG154.JPGP2270111.JPGIMG-20111107-00526.jpg

And lastly a photo taken from a few days ago (excuse the terrible angle his legs really arent that short)

20130112_160847.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, that's a tough one. The last pic, he looks like some shade of bay; three pics he looks like he could have silver, and one he looks sunbleached black. And, his baby pic, he just looks adorable.

I'm leaning towards smokey black also, but each picture it seems his colour really changes.

Thanks for replying
default_smile.png
I've always lent towards smoky black as well, yes he really does change all the time thats why i put so many photos up haha

I've not seen many smokey blacks in person, so have little experience to go on there.

Neither have i, and from what i read (googled lol) you need to test to be sure

He looks a lot like my smokey black (Tested) so I will go with smokey black. My black horse never fades that much.

Barnmother do you have a picture of your smokey black that you could please share with me?

He is smokey black-they tend to sunbleach much easier than plain blacks, which is why they have such a wide array of shades throughout the ir lifetime. You can see he does not have agouti by looking at his foal picture. He is black there and couldn't just suddenly show the agouti. He is also not showing any silver there. So, smokey black
default_smile.png

Smoky Black. Whilst you can and do get Smoky Blacks that show no sign of the "smoky" bit at all, and are jet Black, this browny colour seems to be typical of the colour in Minis in particular...

I love that you have pictures of both parents and the foal as he ages. This makes it so much easier to give an answer. I wish more people would do it this way
default_smile.png

I think he looks like a sunbleached smokey black.

Thanks for replying
default_smile.png

Myles - thanks, i thought it might make it easier if i gave a few as he aged
default_smile.png

So heres another, my last one that im not 100% confident about.

This is Dakota he has the same dam (buckskin) and sire (black) as the previous horse Cooper. When he was born i thought he was a bay but as he get older im leaning toward brown buckskin.

Would love to see what colour you all think he is
default_smile.png

As a foal

Dakota 1.jpg

As he grows

198.JPGP6050007.JPG

(please excuse the terrible clip job, it was really hot and he wasnt shedding very well)

2011-09-17 11.01.14.jpg

IMG-20120424-00768.jpgDakota 2.jpg

And lastly one taken a few days ago as a 4 year old

20130112_160850.jpg

I think he is definitely bay, the paler tone in the last picture is probably a combination of sun bleaching and pangare which is the gene that has given him the lighter tan areas around his muzzle etc.

Definitely smokey black. My guy (in my Avatar) is smokey black; he has a caramel tail, black main, and when his first adult coat was coming in he looked like an elk. Now he's a dark dark brown with a black mane and the same caramel tail. I love the colour
default_smile.png

Dakota is bay
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
And i thought Dakota would be the easy one haha Well the majority say bay, however i do like Dianes answer (probably because i am quite partial to buckskins hehe)

But so far Dakota is a sooty bay

It's a horse of a different color!

default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Hahaha he definitely is
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back