Colour query

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capall Beag IRL

Reaction score
hi

we bred this foal this summer and we arent sure what colour we should put on her paperwork.

She has white hooves (no black stripes) and her eye lashes are the same colour as her coat.

Her sire is a palomino and her dam is a bay.

thanks for any help you can give me.

foal4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm.....here are some possibilities.

Without knowing color of the eyes (hard to tell in the photo)....

Silver Black (Palomino sire could be hiding silver)

Champagne (Palomino could also be Champagne)

Weird shade of Sorrel?

Would like to see better pictures of this little cutie.
default_yes.gif
:

She looks very palomino to me.
default_yes.gif
:

Is this a current photo? Foals are often born with white hooves that will get dark at they age and grow out. I think the hooves will get dark in time on this horse.

Here are a couple pics of a similar colored foal I had born here that was palomino. (pinto)

palo1.jpg

palo2.jpg

thanks everyone.

she is definately not sorrel and she is 5 weeks old now (these photos taken today), she is more of a peachy colour.

her eyes are brown and all hooves are still white.

when you part the coat to the skin it is the same colour all the way through.

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

look at the colour of her eye lashes, her dad (a palomino) has cream ones???????

thanks everyone.

she is definately not sorrel and she is 5 weeks old now (these photos taken today), she is more of a peachy colour.

her eyes are brown and all hooves are still white.

when you part the coat to the skin it is the same colour all the way through.

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

look at the colour of her eye lashes, her dad (a palomino) has cream ones???????
Now in these updated photos, she looks Sorrel to me..redder than the first picture. (at least on my screen). And if you look closely, you can see that the color is beginning to come down into her hooves.
default_yes.gif
:

I think her hooves will eventually be black & she is going to end up simply sorrel.
default_wink.png
:

Those last pictures make me say sorrel as well.

My chestnut colt (sorrel, chestnut, same difference, I use chestnut for all actually!) is nearly 6 months old and his hoofs are still light colored (he does not have any white on his legs so yes, I am certain that in time his feet will end up dark)

sorry but definitely chestnut to me! I've had quite a few born that color. She's a red.

DSCF0015.jpg

foal6.jpg

as you can see in different light she shows up a different colour

:new_shocked:

thanks for your replies, i suppose i'll just have to wait and see next year
default_wacko.png
:

Well you have me stumped, but I still think she carries cream. Why don't you send in a hair sample for testing??? Then you can satisfy all of our curiosities!
default_wink.png
:

She could be sorrel. If the dam is bay (black base) and carries the red (sorrel) gene recessively you won't see it. The sire being palomino is sorrel and carries sorrel recessively with a cream gene. The foal can inherit one red from dam and one red from sire only and be a normal sorrel as this girl looks. If she had inherited cream her mane would be a lot lighter (but there is always the exception- she could shed it out and come in flaxen like her tail). She'd be a buckskin if she inherited the black gene from her mom and cream from dad (even if she also inherited red recessively because if they carry black it shows over red).

I would think from the pix she's sorrel and looks very normal sorrel in some and an odd color red in another. As others mentioned having her genetically color tested would conclusively tell you what she carries.

Tammie

thanks everyone

i think i will get her tested, as we are keeping her for our show team next year.

when you part her coat, it is the same colour all the way through and the same with her mane and im trying my best to come up with a colour that best describes her and all i can think of is beige or mushroom, not a shade of sorrel at all (even though she photographes sorrel).

im stumped, as i have seen sorrel foals in full size horses and this is nothing like it :eek:

Well you have me stumped, but I still think she carries cream. Why don't you send in a hair sample for testing??? Then you can satisfy all of our curiosities!
I AGREE!!!!

I would get her tested for Red Factor and Agouti (same test), Silver and Cream JMO
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back