Color testers out there...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
I have a mare that appears to be a 'lobo grulla' and am wondering if there is a color test for dilute genes? What would she be tested for if there is? Her dam is a buckskin, with dilute genes in her background and the sire appears to be smokey black?? with dilute in his background as well.

Any clues here? The mare has produced two grullo colts so far and a mealy bay. (by two different stallions)

There is no test for the dun genes, but if you are certain that she produced duns, then you already know she's a cerrier so no need to test anyway, as long as the stallions aren't carriers.

As for the buckskins and smokey black, you can test the mare for cream, and that would be about all you can do?

Interesting! Thanks for the info!

There are a few exciting advances in color testing! UC Davis says they will release a Dun and a Champagne test in the summer of 2008..another lab is also in the practical testing phase of its champagne test to be released soon. I also hear a grey gene test will be released very soon from another lab as well. Now all we need is the LP and PATN appy tests to be perfected and a roan test to distinguish varnish roan from regular roan when the foal is at a younger age LOL WOW 2007 brought some major advances in color testing! Pearl, silver gene testing are now available.... we have had tobiano, OLW, agouti, red and black factors and cream ..pretty soon we'll be able to test for anything and everything..yea!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few exciting advances in color testing! UC Davis says they will release a Dun and a Champagne test in the summer of 2008..another lab is also in the practical testing phase of its champagne test to be released soon. I also hear a grey gene test will be released very soon from another lab as well. Now all we need is the LP and PATN appy tests to be perfected and a roan test to distinguish varnish roan from regular roan when the foal is at a younger age LOL WOW 2007 brought some major advances in color testing! Pearl, silver gene testing are now available.... we have had tobiano, OLW, agouti, red and black factors and cream ..pretty soon we'll be able to test for anything and everything..yea!
default_aktion033.gif
WOW, that is REALLY EXCITING news!! I'll sure be looking forward to that!!

I am looking forward to a splash gene test. Though I do not know of any in the works.

Has anyone heard anything?

I am looking forward to a splash gene test. Though I do not know of any in the works.
Has anyone heard anything?
No, I haven't heard of a test for splashed white either, but I sure will be glad when there is! I love the splashed patterned horses and it would be nice to know if some that I think are minimally marked carry the gene or not.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back