Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
This colts sire is a bay tobiano. His dam is either a silver bay or a sorrel w/ flaxen mane/tail (pictured in the background of Streakers foal photos). He just doesnt look like the silver bays that i see most of the time, his coat is more 'bay' then red or sorrel looking. His mane and tail are very much silver. I am not a color genetics person, i've always just called him silver bay but have had a few ask of his color.

Body clipped (about 6 days later) ...

ONODOSETRACE.jpg

Newborn - few days old

102_2878.jpg

lb4.jpg

102_2980.jpg

More recent photos from yesterday at 5 months old ...

streakerrr.jpg

Streaker.jpg

StreakerBack.jpg

Thank you,

Leeana

Last edited by a moderator:
His dam is definitely silver bay. You can tell because of her dark legs, sorrels don't have that. And while the first picture makes it hard to see the silver, I think the other pictures with his full coat make it pretty clear that he is indeed a silver bay pinto, just my opinion.

Matt's right - he is a silver bay pinto... and his dam is silver bay as well....
default_yes.gif

Sort of like these two...

amybaby.jpg

Tag, just curious, is that also Hula's mom? I always loved Hula so much.

There is no doubt his dam is silver bay. See her darker lower legs?
default_smile.png

The colt is silver bay pinto
default_yes.gif

NO doubt about either
default_biggrin.png

Thank you, like i said, i am not a color genetics person so i had never heard about the legs being darker as a way to point out a silver bay. Thank you
default_wub.png

Then i guess i was correct, Silver Bay it tis.
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png

Yep, silver bay!

BTW Leeana- did you get my PM?
default_biggrin.png

Your question already got answered but I have to say I LOVE Mom's color too. I love silver bay and she is a gorgeous color. Baby is sooooo cute! I can't wait to see him without his winter woolies. I bet he is going to be a beautiful color too.

I am like you, and not much into color genetics, accept for cremellos and perlinos. But, I would like to say he is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL COLT.

Latest posts

Back