Color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
This filly is by the same stud my appy mare is in foal to and out of a mare we almost bought. Her owners sent me the pics so I could see the type of foal the stud was throwing since mine hasn't arrived.

Here is the filly

Gunnerfilly.jpg

What color is she? Her owner's think she's gray, but I can see some brown tint in her hair especially around her ears, so I think she's just a VERY light palomino.

Her sire is a light palomino leopard appy

Her dam is a solid dappled gray (not appy)

This filly does have appy characteristics I was told. Just thought I'd ask you all cause I'm really curious as to what you all would consider her

Hmmm, it's hard to say really. How old is she in this picture? Most true greys are not born white but dark and then gradually lighten. Do you know what color the dam was born? I know sometimes when silver and grey are mixed together you will get an already white grey foal.

She's only a couple days old in the photo. I don't know much about the mare, but I do know that the owner of the stud said that he looked almost identical to what the filly looks like when he was her age, and when he finally shed/clipped out he was all white with big VERY light palomino leopard markings. Her ears, around her eyes and there on her belly look "tan" to me which is why I'm thinking palomino.. I know some palominos are born with very very light baby fuzz..

The mare I have in foal to the same stud is a grulla snow-cap so should be interesting what she gives us..

Oooo pretty a grulla snowcap! I'd love to see pics of that mare =)

It is truly hard to tell what color the filly is in that bright of lighting...I think you'll know a lot better if you give her a few months to mature, clip off the baby fuzz, then wait another month for her coat to fully grow back in...then you'll get a better idea of what color she is lol.

To me, because I can see faint hints of color but she looks mostly white I would say a few spot, but because her mom isn't appy she would be a "false" few spot meaning she looks like one, but wont reproduce color like one....that's just my opinion, It's really hard to tell! but because she has coloring in more places i'm leaning toward palomino w/appy characteristics =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing about the filly, a "few spot" (not a true because I knew she had to have to appy parents to be a true) or possibly a near leopard palomino but very light.. Guess time will tell.. Hope her owner's keep me and the stud owner updated on her..

Here's a pic of my mare, Iles Little Lacey

CIMG1385.JPG

I think she's actually a grulla varnish/roan snow cap.. She does have should barring but no visible dorsal because of the snow cap and because she's varnish/roan it's hard to see any leg barring.

My personal opinion is that she may be a light palomino. True grays are usually born black or bay - very dark anyhow, and fade to white over a period of weeks, but more like months and have even seen some take a couple of years or so. You will know more when the baby fuzz is gone.

Lacy, appears to be a black roan appy with blanket or a smokey black roan with blanket. Are both parents appaloosa? She could be a snowcap. Got any pics of her at a younger age? Or without her winter hair? What color are her sire and dam? (black, bay, etc...) You can email them to me privately if you want.

Well she said Lacey has shoulder barring and faint leg striping but it's hard to see because of the varnsh roaning...a foal photo would be adorable =) As long as one parent carries the dun factor this mare looks and sounds grulla to me =)

I don't have any baby pics of her unfortunately.. All of her foals have been colored even when bred to pinto and solid studs, so she has to be homozygous for appy, which is what snow cap is correct? Homozygous for the blanket patterns?

CIMG1787.jpg

Here's a more recent photo of her with a shorter coat (she's still shedding) There's a glare from the sun, but you can kind of see the shoulder barring, at first I thought it was more of the roaning/varnish but it's a lot darker and not as 'speckled.'

Greys can be born any colour at all- not dark they can be born Buckskin, Palomino etc. It looks to me as if the mare was Palomino before she went Grey and I think the foal is doing the same- she is light Palomino now and is going Grey.

I would not personally use a Grey in an Appy programme.

They other possibility is that the mare could be Grey and Appy, and then she would still present as a Grey (having lost the spots) and the foal could be a Snowcap/Fewspot BUT as it could also be carrying the Grey modifier- well, this is why I would not use a Grey in Appy breeding!! Far too complicated and potentially disappointing.

I do think the simplest explanation is the most likely though, and the foal is Palomino going Grey.

Latest posts

Back