color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinck43

Reaction score
I need some color experts help in deciding this colt's color. He has been tested and his results ar EE(Homozygous for black factor, 2 copies) Aa (Agouti), and ZZ (Homozygous, carries 2 copies of dilute silver) His parents have mainly black on both sides, but dam has a buckskin in her pedigree. He has pink skin and his hair coat has a reddish tint. Like a sorrel color. His dam is grey and white and sire is silver bay. So I am guessing he is silver? Thought he was silver bay, but questioning the pink skin. I know a picture would help. I have one on my website. www.sisterstwominiatures.com thanks, dionne

Silver Bay.
default_wink.png

[SIZE=10pt]If the colt is homozygous for Black (EE), wouldn't the Agouti not show? So the colt would be Silver Black but capable of throwing Bay offspring?[[/SIZE]/font]

If the colt is homozygous for Black (EE), wouldn't the Agouti not show? So the colt would be Silver Black but capable of throwing Bay offspring?
Agouti always shows on black, doesn't matter if there's one copy Ee or two copies EE. [Agouti only "hides" on red (ee).]

If the colt is homozygous for Black (EE), wouldn't the Agouti not show? So the colt would be Silver Black but capable of throwing Bay offspring?
Agouti always shows on black, doesn't matter if there's one copy Ee or two copies EE. [Agouti only "hides" on red (ee).]
But what about the pink skin? If he was silver bay or black, wouldn't he have dark skin?

But what about the pink skin? If he was silver bay or black, wouldn't he have dark skin?
If he is indeed homozygous black, then the pink skin probably due to the silver gene (I think it can cause pink skin).

I have a silver buckskin stallion, no white markings anywhere; he has pinkish skin on his scrotum (practically all pinkish) and "elsewhere" (speckles).

If he is indeed homozygous black, then the pink skin probably due to the silver gene (I think it can cause pink skin).

I have a silver buckskin stallion, no white markings anywhere; he has pinkish skin on his scrotum (practically all pinkish) and "elsewhere" (speckles).

The skin around his eyes are white(pink), under his tail, nose. The dam is grey not silver dapple. She also gets the reddish hair in the winter then sheds to the grey. So what color do I register him as? Grey, silver? I have showed him to other color experts and they are baffled. thanks again, dionne

The dam IS silver and white pinto if she is the one on your website with the cute Silver Bay foal. She definitely appears to be silver - I assume that she isn't going a lighter colour each year? (Not just in winter.)

Someone may have put grey and white pinto on her registration papers but I bet if you have her colour tested it won't come back as her being Grey.

From the test results, unless there is something that one of the parents has that you have not tested for, the foal can only be Silver Bay.

The skin on a Silver Bay is beige, and I am presuming that it can start out pink or that "pinkish" may be pink enough for someone expecting a dark skinned foal??

My Silver Bays skin was pinky beige at birth and still is.

His sire is the same.

The dam is registered as chestnut and white. Her grey/silver seems to get darker each year. I will register him as a silver bay. Thanks for all your input. I just thought with the light pigmented skin, he wouldn't be silver bay. dionne

Latest posts

Back