Color help on our new filly - please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickermaker

Reaction score
We had a new baby born the night of the 4th. It was a filly, she was 18" tall at birth. Here are some pictures of her. She was less than 24 hours old in these pictures. They were taken of an evening and are in the shadows some. So she was lighter than the pictures make her look and she has even lightened up more since the pictures were taken. Her sire is a golden dunn and dam is black - she has a stripe down her back but don't know if it is countershading or a dorsal stripe. So do you think she will shed out black, smoky black or grulla, am open for suggestions? She also has blue/greyish eyes. What color would I register her as with AMHR - I know you can let AMHA pick the color - but can you do this with AMHR also - as she will be registered with both.

filly3.jpg

100_0334.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well....all three are "possibilities". But I think Black or Smokey Black (as they look pretty much the same).

Very cute!
default_yes.gif
:

What color of hair on the inside of the ear are blacks born with, do any of you know? As this filly has light cream to white hair on the inside of her ear. Or does this make a difference with anything? Like I said she is getting lighter also instead of darker - is this normal for a black? Am curious and don't know. Thanks

Congratulations on your pretty filly. Looks like some shade of black to me. Her grayish/blue eyes may turn brown still. :bgrin

Back